All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Kiya
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:44 am 
Pharaoh

Click on this wonderful site! You can read transcipts of several letters and inscriptions found, or you can listen to the transcrips being read.
www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/egyptians ... ry_2.shtml (Underscore between human_gallery_2.shtml)

In case it doesn't work (as many of my addresses!) here are the notes from the article.
Previously, I have stated my opinion that Kiya was not Tutankhamen's mother--this is another point of view!

Princess Kiya is a shadowy figure, whose life has been pieced together from fragments of inscriptions, some of which were erased by her contemporaries. She is now believed to be the subject of some of the inscriptions found in the most mysterious of royal tombs, number 55 in the Valley of the Kings.

We encounter her only through her husband, Akhenaten, often referred to as 'the heretic king'. He came to the throne as Amenophis IV, but broke with established religion and devoted himself to a single deity known as the Aten. He was married to the beautiful Nefertiti. On many of their monuments Akhenaten and Nefertiti are accompanied by their daughters. It appears that the pair had no sons.

There are, however, two spare princes who appear in the records from Amarna, the capital city that Akhenaten founded for himself. These are Smenkhkare and Tutankhaten (the latter means 'Living image of the Aten'). They are brothers, and the likelihood is that their father is Akhenaten.

Egyptologists are coming to the conclusion that Kiya was the mother of these princes, and it is to this that she owed her influence with the king. Pharaohs were allowed several wives, and Nefertiti may have accepted this, but the situation has the potential to turn nasty. Somebody is responsible for the erasure of Kiya's names from most of her inscriptions, but we do not know who this is. Kiya died before Akhenaten.

When Akhenaten did die, he was succeeded briefly by Smenkhkare, and then by his second son, who changed his name to Tutankhamun. The discovery of the latter's tomb in 1922 made him famous, but the fate of Smenkhkare is more obscure.

Tomb 55 in the Valley of the Kings contained objects from the Amarna court, among them a damaged coffin designed for a woman, although the badly preserved body inside this turned out to be male. This may be Akhenaten, but it is more likely that the body is that of Smenkhkare.

The inscription at the foot of the coffin is one originally appropriate for a woman, but later changed to refer to a man. We now suspect that the original subject is Kiya. The inscription is unique both for its poetic imagery and for the light it sheds on Akhenaten's religion

Re: Kiya
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:27 pm 
Pharaoh

Osiris II wrote:
We encounter her only through her husband, Akhenaten, often referred to as 'the heretic king'. He came to the throne as Amenophis IV, but broke with established religion and devoted himself to a single deity known as the Aten. He was married to the beautiful Nefertiti. On many of their monuments Akhenaten and Nefertiti are accompanied by their daughters. It appears that the pair had no sons.

There are, however, two spare princes who appear in the records from Amarna, the capital city that Akhenaten founded for himself. These are Smenkhkare and Tutankhaten (the latter means 'Living image of the Aten'). They are brothers, and the likelihood is that their father is Akhenaten.

Thank you for the post Osiris II :)
To assume simply because Pharaoh Akhenaten and his Great Royal Wife didn't include their sons on the monuments they didn't have them. Would be to assume that Prince Tuthmoses and Ankhenaten were not the sons of Pharaoh Amenhotep III and his Great Royal Wife. Thankfully we have some monuments of the Prince where his parents are aknowledged and the remains of Pharaoh Akhenaten's where his parents are also aknowledged. Otherwise those same Egyptianologists would be leading us astray with their assumptions that Royal parents had to show their sons with their daughters. Something that Amenhotep III and Queen Tiy never did.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:45 pm 
Servant

ANd, of course, there is the possibility that the few records stating that were destroyed in the sack of the city...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:39 am 
Prince/Princess

Originally posted by Osiris II
Quote:
Click on this wonderful site! You can read transcipts of several letters and inscriptions found, or you can listen to the transcrips being read.
www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/egyptians ... ry_2.shtml (Underscore between human_gallery_2.shtml)

In case it doesn't work (as many of my addresses!) here are the notes from the article.
Previously, I have stated my opinion that Kiya was not Tutankhamen's mother--this is another point of view!

Princess Kiya is a shadowy figure, whose life has been pieced together from fragments of inscriptions, some of which were erased by her contemporaries. She is now believed to be the subject of some of the inscriptions found in the most mysterious of royal tombs, number 55 in the Valley of the Kings.

Egyptologists are coming to the conclusion that Kiya was the mother of these princes, and it is to this that she owed her influence with the king. Pharaohs were allowed several wives, and Nefertiti may have accepted this, but the situation has the potential to turn nasty. Somebody is responsible for the erasure of Kiya's names from most of her inscriptions, but we do not know who this is. Kiya died before Akhenaten.

When Akhenaten did die, he was succeeded briefly by Smenkhkare, and then by his second son, who changed his name to Tutankhamun. The discovery of the latter's tomb in 1922 made him famous, but the fate of Smenkhkare is more obscure.

Tomb 55 in the Valley of the Kings contained objects from the Amarna court, among them a damaged coffin designed for a woman, although the badly preserved body inside this turned out to be male. This may be Akhenaten, but it is more likely that the body is that of Smenkhkare.

The inscription at the foot of the coffin is one originally appropriate for a woman, but later changed to refer to a man. We now suspect that the original subject is Kiya. The inscription is unique both for its poetic imagery and for the light it sheds on Akhenaten's religion

I only just saw this. Thanks Osiris! Any new info on Kiya is great as we know so little and most is speculation! I tend to go with convention and say she was probably the mother of Tut and a secondry wife of Akhenaten as that seems to make the most sense but more for the lack of any other evidence to the contrary. Then again, slightly off topic, being someone who was always fascinated by the idea of Jesus having married mary of Magdala after seeing the 'Last Temptation of Christ' years ago and having recently read 'The Da Vinci Code', what we have been brought up to believe isn't always necessarily the ruth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:30 am 
Pharaoh

The Last temptation was a brilliant film for me as the portrayal of Satan really quite shocked me. I am fed up of this image of a red devil with horns and a tail, it was great to see the devil in the guise of an angel. After all, he is supposed to be a master deciever and would you trust an animal over an angel? The Passion of the Christ had a good devil in it as they brought out the true intrinsic evil of the devil without making it over the top. Casting a woman as the devil also gave him an asexual look which I thought was ingenious.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:54 am 
Gods/Goddesses

Sorry to be going off topic, but this has been bothering me and my family since we saw that movie. In the Passion, what is the symbolic representation for the baby which Satan is holding?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:59 am 
Pharaoh

I believe that it is Satan trying to tempt Christ to the very end. Satan is trying to say to the son of God, "Look, if you die then there will be nothing to stop me unleashing this child (who is the anti-christ) onto the world". For me the child represented the birth of suffering and death which the devil was telling christ he could unleash on the Messiah's death. That is why the baby is withered and old, it is already the object of pain and suffering that Satan is preparing to et loose on the world of men.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:23 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

Thanks Si-amun. Very interesting. After I get done with this site I'm gonna watch that movie again. My mom bought it on DVD and i've been waiting for a day where nobody is home so I don't have to listen to anyone cry. When I saw it in the theater, a girl, maybe about 18 or so, bawled. I wanted to get out. When I looked over to my family to say I want to go, my mom, aunt and grandma were all crying. The movie didn't make me cry, it just made me much more interested in the topic than I ever was.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:30 pm 
Pharaoh

Perhaps us in England are all cold hearted but no one here cried. In fact their was a general chatter in places over disbeleif that he could go through all that and still survive. I didn't see a single person shed a single tear, and I saw it twice at the cinema! Oh well, us Brits are a cold bunch deep down! lol