All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:24 am 
Pharaoh

Si-Amun wrote:
Prince of Egypt made me scream. I found it disrespectful to have Ramses II, probably one of our greatest kings as a cartoon. How rude is it to have two priests as tricksters and fools who dance and sing. I found it insulting to the intelligence of the ancient people who in many ways had a far intellectually superior religious ideology and belief system than those of the modern day USA. I am sorry if this sounds rude but it really bugged me. The priests of Ra were a powerful and noble force, not a fat and thin / tall and short comedy duo.

Well, It was supposed to be a kids movie. Kids dont know what the Priests were supposed to look like.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:02 pm 
Pharaoh

They aren't supposed to know the pain and suffering Christ is supposed to have felt on the cross but you dont see him singing songs and dancing on the way to his crucifixtion do you? I found it insulting as I am sure many would have found it insulting if Moses had been a complete idiot who was too thick to notice he wasn't an Egyptian. I just get edgy about children seeing such a bad image of Egypt as most will end up becoming one of those stupid adults who knows nothing about the history. One who thinks the pyramids were built by unpaid slaves, Pharaohs were foolish and arrogant and the Egyptians were inferior to their Syraic/Judaic neighbours. The amount of times I am asked stupid questions by fully grown adults who have no idea is phenomenal.
"Have you been inside Tutanhamun's Pyramid?"
"Cleopatra was Egyptian wasn't she?"
"Did the men really wear make-up?"
"Where was Hamunaptra?"
I hate it too when people see a film like The Scorpion King, or The Mummy and they think they know all about ancient Egypt. Or when people get this Romanticised idea of the Egyptians, that the al bathed in milk and wore tonnes of gold. Aaaargh-Someone save me from the un-initiated!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:52 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

What is this about "Tutankhamen's pyramid"? Do they think because he is now famous he had a pyramid built or him?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:08 am 
Gods/Goddesses

it's because they're uneducated morons. But to their defense, they might know a lot about another field. The truth is, there's not enough of us to teach the large amount of them out there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:20 am 
Pharaoh

I suppose, but if I do not know about something I will not pretend that I do. It bothers me when I go into a museum and parents are telling their sons and daughters these fantastic lies about everything because they cannot be bothered to read the lables. I just wish people were more educated about history than they are, or at least that films were made to be more accurate. Prince of Egypt was the worst for me, far more worse than The Mummy. At least The Mummy showed a kind of respect and awe for the Ancients, Prince of Egypt was frankly offensive. For example:

- A chariot race through a Temple construction project.
- A huge smile being painted on a sphinx accidentally.
- The two priests of Pharaoh.
- The depiction of genocide in a realm (ruled mostly) in peace.

I only saw the film once, about two years ago so I cant think of much more but I still have those above painfully burnt into my mind. Aaaaaaargh!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:24 am 
Pharaoh

Whenever I ask someone who the Great Pyramid was built for, I always wince when they say "Tut?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:39 am 
Prince/Princess

:arrow: I can see why.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:12 am 
Gods/Goddesses

Prince of Egypt is NOT bad compared to Russell Mulcahy's 'Tale of the Mummy'. That was a major piece of *mhmm*. When were mummies blue aliens? When were their tombs in huge spheres with the sarcophagus hanging from the ceiling? Literally the worse movie EVER!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:53 am 
Pharaoh

Ramsekh wrote:
Prince of Egypt is NOT bad compared to Russell Mulcahy's 'Tale of the Mummy'. That was a major piece of *mhmm*. When were mummies blue aliens? When were their tombs in huge spheres with the sarcophagus hanging from the ceiling? Literally the worse movie EVER!

I dont know about you, but most mummies I have seen were blue aliens, and the sarchophagus always hung from the ceiling!! Just kidding :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:55 pm 
There's a movie called "The Awakening" with Charlton Heston in which they show priests and soldiers catching 3 tomb robbers in front of the tomb of King Tut. The nicest thing is when the priest mentions the name of Tut, he says "Neb-Kheperu-Ra". He's speaking in egyptian, but the translation says "Tutankhamon". That was a nice touch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:55 pm 
Scribe

Yes Si-Amun, I have seen the Cleopatra one with Leonaor Varela. I have it. I think that one is probably my favorite Egypt film.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:28 pm 
Pharaoh

It really is superb, not because it is completely authentic but is the best I have seen so far. The costumes were amazing, simply stunning! I enjoyed the film visually, even if the acting wasn't great! lol. As a film I still prefer Liz Taylor as it is bigger and busier and longer. I dont like the way that the whole story of Cleopatra is told in about 1 hour and 25 minutes! It is ridiculous. You could make up a film lasting weeks on that one woman!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:00 pm 
Scribe

My favorite ancient Egyptian movie was some black and white movie about Tut, Cleo, etc. I saw in 6th grade. I only wish I knew the title of the movie; the teacher had recorded all but the first few minutes of it off of t.v., so I sort of missed the title. Anyhoo, that movie is what really drove my interest into ancient Egypt.

...Sorry to go back on topic (oh, there's no ... emoticon to describe my feeling!).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:13 am 
Pharaoh

The Prince of Egypt, for all the bad press you're giving it, is based on the potrayal of Biblical Egypt. Egypt is supposed to be evil in that context, but in honesty I strongly dislike the entirely Christian attitude that came across with the film. I am fed up with people accusing the 'pagan' Egyptians of being charlatans or devil-possesed worshiping fools. How on Earth can anyone justify their trivialisation of the Egyptian religion? The Egyptian religion has lasted 5 times longer than Christianity (in fact the Egyptian pantheon lasted for 3/5ths of recorded human history!), and it seems so sickening. Maybe I take this a bit too seriously, but the sort of wit employed by the Prince of Egypt seems about as tactful as laughing at the multiple-armed gods of Hinduism, or Jesus' halo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:39 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

That bothers me, too, but not as much as blue alien mummies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next