All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:27 pm 
Pharaoh

I do not believe that Greece was a monster, but I think Rome was. It virtually put an end to the cultures of each country it invaded. In Britain we had our own ancient civilisation, the Celts. As a race they were abused and forced to Romanise in many places. The Romans carved up lands, deposed kings and in the 300's abolished the old religions and closed all pagan temples. The Romans raped Egypt for over three centuries, using it as their Bank and Food supply. The Romans were a relatively coarse and vulgar follower to the Greek culture that it had tried to base itself upon. Rome showed no understanding for any culture bar their own. In 70 AD they burnt the temple of Jerusalem down. They killed thousands of Celts, closed the Egyptian Temples and forced Roman culture into lands where it was not needed. When the Romans left Britain they left it divided and broken, and it would not be until the 11th century that it would be united under one ruler again. That is why I think Rome was a monster.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:55 pm 
Prince/Princess

Okay , Rome was more War like then most cultures of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:01 pm 
Pharaoh

Rome is my personal dislike. Of course there were acceptions but I found that they generally denied others their cultures, and thus I blame them for the loss of much of the ancient world! Grrrrrrrrrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:08 pm 
Prince/Princess

All Ancient Cultures will die. None can lost forever. I also do not like the Romans. But , I do think that with out them and the Greeks that The English language and culture , would not be the same as it is today. I only wish that maybe the culture had been nicer and less war-like.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:49 pm 
Prince/Princess

The Romans were soldiers and engineers. Pretty well all of their art was just cheap knock-offs of the Greeks. It's no wonder that so many guys seem to like the Romans so much. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:29 am 
Pharaoh

The Romans brought a lot to us. Who hasn't heard of cement? I don't know for sure that they invented it, but it was used heavily in Roman building. I do know they invented cement that would "dry" under water.
The techniques of war--or many of them--are still used today. Is that a plus? (warfare, I mean)
The political system from the early period was pure Repuplic! Although cumbersome--to us--it worked! (do in your rivals!)
We don't really realize how much of modern-day life owes to the Romans.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:39 pm 
Prince/Princess

Well the Romans , did take some of it from the Greeks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:12 am 
Pharaoh

Some of it? Most of it more like! lol
I realise that Ancient cultures do die out, I just see that the Romans helped many of them on their way. The Romans finished of the Etruscans, Egyptians, Celts, Carthaginians, Greeks, Phonecians, Armenians, shall I go on? They closed the Egyptian temples, burnt the Temple of Jerusalem down, killed thousands in the games, stole art and architecture, emptied the remains of Alexandria's library etc. As you can tell, I am not a huge fan!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:44 pm 
Prince/Princess

Si-amun wrote:
Some of it? Most of it more like! lol
I realise that Ancient cultures do die out, I just see that the Romans helped many of them on their way. The Romans finished of the Etruscans, Egyptians, Celts, Carthaginians, Greeks, Phonecians, Armenians, shall I go on? They closed the Egyptian temples, burnt the Temple of Jerusalem down, killed thousands in the games, stole art and architecture, emptied the remains of Alexandria's library etc. As you can tell, I am not a huge fan!

Oh! I agree so much!!!! *kicks a Roman* (An ancient Roman okay people! Don't give me a rant on racism or anything. Sheesh.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:17 pm 
Pharaoh

Rome= Italy= Cannoli! Mmm..... Biscotti, Tiramisu, Stuffed Olives, Bread... MM!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:54 am 
Prince/Princess

mmmmmmmmmmm olives.
I love the aborigional history, the dreamtime stories and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:18 am 
Pharaoh

Tash - Olives were Greek primarily.
And PharaohKel, lets not forget some other delicacies from Rome:
Stuffed Dormice.
Peacocks.
Snails fattened up on milk until they die.
Now they sound nice, don't they?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:32 am 
Prince/Princess

So there food was bad. But I mean what I bet they would think that french fries were gross. I mean those things are like deadly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:46 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

I hate Julius Casesar. He burned the Alexandrian Library down and supposedly sent us back in technology 1,000 years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:53 am 
Prince/Princess

mmmmmmm, yummy snake,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next