All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:09 am 
Pharaoh

I deviate from the existing view insomuch as I think that Egypt was a lot more sophisticated in earlier periods than we given them credit for. Could a civilisation, in so little time evolve the completely amazing levels of organisation required to build the pyramids? I don't think so, archeological evidence from early Egyptian sites is, as you have said Sekhmet, quite sparse. This leads me to believe that Egypt was a lot more sophisticated than we currently give them credit for. Evidence of a hierachy developing does not tell us about the achievements required to build such an enduring legacy. I read once that the Temple of Denderah was virtually in ruins until Khufu, builder of the Great Pyramid restored the Temple. I am unsure of very early history in Egypt and so if you have any more information please pass them forward as I am always eager to learn more about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:01 am 
Pharaoh

:) You may be surprised at how much of "dynastic Egypt" is found in periods as early as the Badarian period ca. 4,500 BCE.

i do intend to write more on these period but as articles for the website. Hopefully you will stick around to read them :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:32 pm 
Pharaoh

I certainly will, very early Egypt is a real weakness in my knowledge. I know next to nothing about it, so forgive me if my arguments here are not founded on extensive research. They are just beliefs generated from looking at dates.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:08 am 
Pharaoh

Ford Prefect, if the Pyramids were built when the Sahara was a grassland, then the pyramid would have been built on top of grass. You think there might be some remains of the grass under it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:35 pm 
Prince/Princess

i doubt it, it is possible, but they would have cleard everything away from the area they were building on,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:08 am 
Pharaoh

I just thought of something. You know that picture of a statue being moved by like 30 Egyptians? Well, they have someone throwing water or mud on the ground infront of it so the logs would slide over it easier. They couldnt have done that on sand! Wait, Im gonna go do some research on that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:23 pm 
Pharaoh

Forgive me on this one, as I am not an architect. I was always under the impression that a building HAD to be built on solis sturdy ground. If the GP was built on soil it would have not lasted until today. Can you think of one major building today that is built on grassland? Every large building from about 2000 BC onwards was built on prepared ground. It was impossible for the GP to have been built on grasslands. Do you think that it was built 11,000 years ago? I know I am an orthodox egyptologist (mostly) but I find that possibility far too far fetched to be even considered. Putting the building date at 2500 BC seems to make the Egyptians far more advanced at such an early date. I can hardly believe it was built so long ago, but I do believe it. Is it possible for the GP to have been built nine thousand years before? I think not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:53 pm 
Prince/Princess

The GP was built on bedrock, regardless it being grassland or desert, bedrock is bedrock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:40 am 
Prince/Princess

i agree that a slurry would have been used to reduce friction between the logs carrying the statue and the ground, providing the ground was solid, as you pointed out, but on such a scale as the GP, well the amount of water and dirt/sand needed to reduce friction would be so great, remember it would have had to be draged up the pyramid along with the stone, and water and sand is very heavy, also it wouldnt have worked out because i have reason to beleve that ramps were not used in the building of the great pyramid, dont ask me what they would have used to replace the ramps, i just dont think that the ramps could have been used

(also i know about the program the other day on the history channel, but untill i know the details i am not even going to go there)