All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Which civilisations have you studied in depth?
Total votes : 0

Any other historical interests?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:02 pm 
Pharaoh

Is everyone here an Egypt enthusiast only or do we all pursue other historical interests? I am a lover of Medieval Italian history but it will never eclipse my love of Egypt. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:16 pm 
Prince/Princess

While I have yet to love any civilization more than Egypt, I must admit that I like Greek mythology more than Egyptian mythology.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:26 pm 
Pharaoh

Greek Mythology is brilliant - The stories of Agamemnon are brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:33 am 
Prince/Princess

i love both medieval history and the ancient orient, as well as ancient egypt, i love the illuminated bibles that the monks made, they are great works of art,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:49 am 
Pharaoh

I love the Khmer Empire and Ancient Roman Mythology

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:18 am 
Gods/Goddesses

I have to say that no, I didn't. And people, don't hate me for this, but I really don't like Greek mythology. Why? It's over used. Because most myth books focus on Greek mythology, I can barely find any affordable Egyptian mythology books. Most of them are $20 or more, and I'm pretty poor. ^_^o However, the closest thing I've come to getting interested in another culture besides Egypt is read Norse mythology. It is interesting...the story of Freyja is so sad...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:15 am 
Pharaoh

I have brilliant book on Egyptian mythology at home. I bought it in Cairo and it cost about $7. It has the hieroglyphic texts on the left page, English translations on the facing one. After each translation there are notes on the story, its sources and its origins. At the begining of the book there is also a summary, in proper English of the stories as some of the translations are a bit difficult to follow. I love that book, it has to be one of my firm favourites. I do agree though. There is so little on Egyptian mythology, but then again there isn't so much as in the Greek ones, and it is far more confusing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:25 pm 
Prince/Princess

:D Greek Mythology is really interesting. Their Mythology is fun to learn I think , well so is Ancient Egyptians.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:38 pm 
Pharaoh

I find that with Grecian mythology I can just sit down and read it, without being too concentrated on the book. With the Egyptian myths I have to really concentrate as the translations are often quite difficult to read. I think that is because we have a greater understanding of Greek language though, it makes traslation easier. If I am studying an Egyptian text I find I really have to sit still and concentrate, looking for symbolism and small events. I also get bogged down with the titles of people in them. Why could they never just say "Amenhotep did this"? Why did they have to say "Amenhotpe, Glory be to him, Horus is in jubilation and the gods are appeased..."? I find it so frustrating having to read the same set of names and titles fifteen times before anything actually happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:02 am 
Prince/Princess

Yes , Having a better understanding of the Greek Language does help to translate a story. Alot of English is based on the Greek gods or goddess.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:38 am 
Pharaoh

I find that because of the difficulties in translation the Egyptian documents seem quite wooden and boring. That is a real shame as it really doesn't reflect the civilisation or the stories themselves. Because of the advanced knowledge of Grecian language the texts all come out vivid and almost modern. Come on you lot, we need you to really bring hieroglyphs up to date!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:03 pm 
Pharaoh

i found this book, Gods and Pharaohs from Egyptian Mythology by Geraldine Harris, and Illustrated by David O'Connor to be a most helpful book on Eygptian literature. It contains myths, and stories out of myths from Ancient Egypt. i got it for 18 dollars from Borders Kid's Department. i am not picky as to where i shop for my books! The artwork is beautiful!

Personally, i don't care that much for Greek mythology, and the only other ancient people i enjoy learning about are the Minoans/Cycladic peoples. THe Cycladic peoples settled the Cycladic Islands of the Aegean Sea of which Thera/Santorini is one. Beautiful people, artwork, and culture unfortunately their language still isn't known. The Minoans are considered to be the first civilized people of Europe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:34 pm 
Prince/Princess

Gods and Pharaohs from Egyptian Mythology is a good book. I checked it out at the library , :( because I only got 2 dollars lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:38 am 
Pharaoh

Ankhesenamun3 wrote:
Gods and Pharaohs from Egyptian Mythology is a good book. I checked it out at the library , :( because I only got 2 dollars lol.

Many libraries are excellent sources on books. Especially today with inter and intra library borrowing allowed. With these sources books in one library across town or the state are able to be borrowed by none local readers. i suggest you all contact your local libraries and see if they co-operate in these problems. i can't think of an area that wouldn't today.

Unfortunately Si-Amun i have no clue as to where or not English libraries carry the same program but if you check and find out if they do perhaps will let me know.

Many libraries also today list their books on the internet, check with your library and see if they do. Often if they co-operate in the inter/intra programs you can find the whole program lists in your local library stock.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:19 am 
Prince/Princess

My library has a list on-line where you can look up any subject , so I can find good books pretty fast.(Better than what they had in the 60's , that card catalog thing.)