All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

The Anubis Shrine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:38 am 
Servant

Hi... I want to know what is it... I have question. It was empty the box inside or dog mummy or nothing???
I think it was for watch Tutankhamen's body...
I just curious about this one :D

Re: The Anubis Shrine
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:29 am 
Pharaoh

ZericsKirog wrote:
Hi... I want to know what is it... I have question. It was empty the box inside or dog mummy or nothing???
I think it was for watch Tutankhamen's body...
I just curious about this one :D

Hi Amber, Welcome again to KingTutOne.

i found this information for you regarding the Anubis Shine, i hope it helps.

http://www.kingtutshop.com/freeinfo/anubis.htm
Anubis is usually represented as a recumbent black dog. In the tomb of Tutankhamun he sits above a shrine equipped with carrying poles, watching, guarding the entrance to the Treasury room daring anyone to enter. His role is to guard the vicera (internal organs) of the king, which were kept mummified within a beautiful canopic shrine.

Anubis' head is pointing forcibly forwards, his pointed golden ears are vertical, as if listening with canine precision for anyone who would dare enter. His body is swathed in a linen cloth and around his neck - a gold collar. Anubis' eyes are made of calcite (white) and obsidian (black) and are set in gold, his eyebrows are also made of gold, and are wedjat style - the eye of Horus. His long forelegs reach out in front of him, while his long tail is draped over the edge of the golden shrine. All around the sides of the shrine, which is made of guilded wood, are rows of double djed pillars and double sacred tyet knots - magical symbols for stability and protection.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:36 am 
Pharaoh

Was it generally accepted in Ancient Egypt that Anubis was the illegitamate son of Osiris and Nephthys, or was that a later belief entirely? I heard it was a Greco-Roman addition but I wasn't sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:42 am 
Prince/Princess

I wonder.......I always thought it was an ancient belief , not one of the later ones. But , I am not sure at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:49 am 
Pharaoh

Thanks, it may be one of those beliefs that was localised but then later spread. I also heard that in the Delta Sobek was considered to be the son of Neith and Set. I cant imagine that being right though. I thought Set couldn't have kiddies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:35 am 
Prince/Princess

Yeah, thats what I thought also. I bet legends and the stories differed in diferent parts of Egypt.

Last edited by Ankhesenamun3 on Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:08 pm 
Pharaoh

Why couldn't their religion be a little more simple, eh? Would it have been so difficult? I love all of the creation myths, there must be a dozen by now! Do you think that Egyptian myths and Gods were on a philosophical counterpart with the gods and myths of Greece and Rome? I find Greek myths to be more interesting but the Egyptian ones to be more symbolic and full of imagery and symbolism. I love them!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:42 pm 
Prince/Princess

The Greek Gods seem to be more human like to me.Even though they used magic and stuff , the stories seem to be more like somthing that could happen to a human, the story Romeo and Juliet , is based and very similiar to a Greek legend.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:28 pm 
Pharaoh

I beg to differ on the Romeo and Juliet post. I believe it to be based on Anthony and Cleopatra. Bear with me here:

-Both lovers are born to feuding families (similar to Egypt and Rome at the time)
-The male has a previous lover who he leaves for "Juliet"
-The pair meet at a party, similar to the meeting at Tarsus.
-Juliet pretends to be dead, Cleopatra tells Anthony that she is dead.
-Romeo takes poison, Anthony stabs himself.
-Juliet comes round and sees Romeo, Anthony is taking to Cleopatra and she sees him.
-Seeing her lover dead Juliet stabs herself and Cleopatra takes poison in the form of an Asp bite.
-In the end of both novels the moral is that love can heal and destroy everything.

The manner of death in each character is simply reversed and the story is slightly manipulated. Shakespeare adapted both stories for the stage, showing that he had a good knowledge of the ancient story from Plutarch. Has anyone else spotted these strange similarities?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:55 pm 
Prince/Princess

Sit-Amun The link below explains the story of Pyramus and Thisbe. You may notice that in the story there are many things that are very close to the Romeo and Juilet story.

http://www.bulfinch.org/fables/bull3.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:47 pm 
Pharaoh

Thankyou, that is very interesting. I haven't heard that story before at all so thanks for it. It is quite similar to the story of Anthony and Cleopatra though, dont you find? Even if that is a mistake I find it quite beautiful to think that Egypt has its own Romeo and Juliet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:27 pm 
Prince/Princess

:D Yes it is cool. But , the only thing that bothers me about Cleopatra is that she was in Egypt during the Roman rule. I prefer when Egypt had no Roman influence.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:16 pm 
Pharaoh

I think most of us do, but Cleoptra was a Greek. All of her ancestors were Greek and none of them knew the Egyptian language. Cleopatra was the first ruler to actually learn it in well over three centuries. By the time Egypt became a Roman Province it hadn't been ruled by an Egyptian in many many centuries, but by Greeks, Persians and Nubians. I see Cleopatra as the last home ruler of Egypt and classify Egypt as Roman Province only after the suicide of Cleopatra. I agree that there was a lot of Roman influence during her reign (thanks to Ptolemy XII Nothos Auletes) and her own love life. I respect Cleopatra as the last ruler who had Egyptian interests at heart over those of other nations and therefore I dont dislike her at all. With the suicide of Cleopatra in 30 BC I always feel that Egypt changed and lost the link that tied it to its 3000 year old civilisation. They lost their King.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:31 pm 
Prince/Princess

Yes I know that she was not Roman herself , but when she was ruling Egypt was not the Egypt it had once been.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:00 pm 
Pharaoh

It wasn't the Egypt it once was, but it hadn't been for seven hundred years of its foreign rule. I think Cleopatra was more of an Egyptian Queen than any ruler from her family line. It is merely unfortuneate that she lost. How different history would have been otherwise.