All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Guess what!?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:07 pm 
Servant

my teacher got a real necklace from ancient egypt! that was layed on a mummy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:16 pm 
Egyptian Architect

I was just wondering how she obtained something like that, i mean wouldnt one expect something of the much value to be placed in a museum in a city somewhere? So i was just wondering if you could give some details as to how and why she has that necklace.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:07 pm 
Egyptian Architect

Beware the curse......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:43 pm 
Egyptian Architect

Doesn't Egypt has some sort of Antiquities law against exporting artifacts out of the country? How would one get such a thing without being hunted down by possibly every world government allied with Egypt?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:47 pm 
Pharaoh

In Europe at least you can buy antiquities from licensed dealers. In London there are dozens of shops selling Ushabti, beads, pottery and statues. Here you can buy a Ushabti in perfect condition for as little as £60 (sorry - don't know dollars). Maybe your teacher bought it from a licensed dealer, or even lied about it! When I was in Egypt there were hundreds of people trying to sell "antiquities" but rarely were they real. Those who didn't know much about Egypt were paying a lot of money for modern fragments of painting, statues etc. They were almost all fakes though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:12 am 
Pharaoh

Ew. I read once that when people want to sell fake Shabtis, to mkake them look old, they feed it to a goose and by the time it has passed through the goose, it looks thousands of years old! Gross!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:38 am 
Pharaoh

Yes we saw those fake ones everywhere out there. I heard they passed them through the intestines of dead birds killed for food though. It is still rather disgusting though! The Egyptians will try anything to sell things! lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:07 am 
Pharaoh

The fake industry in Egypt is a big business! The one that comes to mind immediately is the statue of Tetisheri. I'm sure we've all seen it. It has been on display in a museum for years--I think since the '20's. It's just been declared a fake.
All sorts of practises are used in making fakes. Pieces of old stone are used to create busts and small statues--using old stone gives the impression of true age. At one time, around the turn of the century when "mummy dust" was used as a medical agent, even newly dead corpses were aged, to make them appear to be old mummies, and then sold.
Oh, and by the way, PharoahKel is right--new scarabs were fed to LIVE geese. They would not pass through a dead bird.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:28 am 
Pharaoh

Scarabs could not be passed through an elasticated tube, like the intestines? I think that they possibly could be. Not through an actual dead bird! I am not that stupid! lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:56 pm 
Servant

I think that you mean. It was copy from real egypt. So Egypt made copy any for necklace. I have one blue stone mummy it was made in egypt mean COPY from real egypt...

I use necklace Eye of Ra...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:36 am 
Gods/Goddesses

and I have a silver ankh necklace and a Bastet pen. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:28 am 
Pharaoh

I'm sorry, Si-Amun, but it would have to be a live bird. Even removing the intestine from a dead bird a stone would not be subjected to the digestion liquids--there would be none secreted. Besides, the smell would become rank very fast! Ever smelled the intestines of a recently killed bird? Multiply that by the number of days the intestine has been removed, and you come up with a very smelly, rotten tube.
The purpose of feeding it to a live bird is to subject it to the digestive juices, which make it seem old.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:03 pm 
Pharaoh

Sorry but I haven't ever smelt the intestines of a dead bird. I live in London and the closest farm is about half an hour away. lol. I thought the idea was to "age" the artifacts with the faeces of dead birds, that is what I was told by a guide when in Khan el Khalili but he may have been mistaken. I just thought it would be nearly impossible to feed sizeable statues to such small birds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:49 pm 
Prince/Princess

:x Ewww....No matter if the bird is dead or alive that is really gross. I would never buy anything that was made that way. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:44 am 
Pharaoh

The passing through a bird only applies to small items, such as scarabs or beads for necklaces, Si-Amun.
Larger items, such as small statues, I understand are just buried in the ground, with a layer of dung on the statue before it is covered up. It's watered frequently, then allowed to dry out. When it is dug up--voila! An ancient statue!