All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:55 pm 
Pharaoh

Sekhmet has stated:
What solid proof do you have that Kiya was Tut's mom. How did he keep the Book of the Dead commands to honor her his mother?
In his book, "The Amarna Age: Egypt" Frederick Giles states that Kiya could not possibly be Tut's mother. Attested insriptions state that Kiya was a mother once--a daughter.
Actually, the book is very interesting--and flies in the face of many accepted traditions. He also says, with a bibliogaphy that shows all of his sources, that Amenhotep III and his son had a co-regency of at least 2 years, more than likely 9, and possibly 12. That Nefertiti could not possibly have ruled by her self--but she was probably at one time Akhenaten's co-regent. That Smenkhkara was co-regent with Akhenaten for at least 3 years and ruled by him self for 3 more. It's really quite a book. The thing I liked most about it, is that his is very careful to list all of his sources, so you can do your own further reading.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:26 am 
Pharaoh

Osiris II wrote:
In his book, "The Amarna Age: Egypt" Frederick Giles states that Kiya could not possibly be Tut's mother. Attested insriptions state that Kiya was a mother once--a daughter.
Actually, the book is very interesting--and flies in the face of many accepted traditions. He also says, with a bibliogaphy that shows all of his sources, that Amenhotep III and his son had a co-regency of at least 2 years, more than likely 9, and possibly 12. That Nefertiti could not possibly have ruled by her self--but she was probably at one time Akhenaten's co-regent. That Smenkhkara was co-regent with Akhenaten for at least 3 years and ruled by him self for 3 more. It's really quite a book. The thing I liked most about it, is that his is very careful to list all of his sources, so you can do your own further reading.

What i like about The Amarna Age Western Asia by Frederick J Giles is his thorough research that supports his theory of a co-regency between Amenhotep III and Akhenaten. I also appreciate his extensive use of Hittite works... very rare to find so far. His work on on the puzzle of who was Dahamunzu(?) pages 316-> to his understanding of Tutankhamun's death is amazing. It is a most helpful, well written text Orisis thank you for recommending it.

You're right about his claims on Nefertiti. However on page 95 he seems to be bowing to the popularists that want Kiya as Tut's mother. I believe his real purpose for this book is to encourage the belief of a long co-regency between Amenhotep III and his son Akhenaten. This is quiet enough for one scholar to tackle LOL. He seems to me that he expressives a lack of understanding of why other experts claim there wasn't a co-regency. He didn't go into the development of the Aten under Amenhotep III reign nearly enough to help hism there. The major reason scholars object to a co-regency of any lenght is it disminishes the Aten Revolution of Akhenaten... but as archaeology has shown since that belief was first established is that the Aten revolution was already established prior to Akhenaten's rule.

Thanks again it is a nice book, but very expensive!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:28 am 
Pharaoh

Sekhmet, it must be a series of books. I just checked Amazon, and two are listed--"The Amara Age: Egypt and "The Amarna Age: Western Asia". It mentions that there are 5 in the series, but they only carry two of them. The one I have is "The Amarna Age: Egypt".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:55 am 
Pharaoh

Osiris II wrote:
Sekhmet, it must be a series of books. I just checked Amazon, and two are listed--"The Amara Age: Egypt and "The Amarna Age: Western Asia". It mentions that there are 5 in the series, but they only carry two of them. The one I have is "The Amarna Age: Egypt".

Thank you Osiris II, now i have 4 more books to read :) Western Asia was most enjoyable and a much bigger help than my Amarna Diplomacy :) Again thank you for introducing this series to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:56 pm 
Pharaoh

Ugh, Im still trying to finish my Harry Potter book before I start another book, I hate reading two at a time, I need to find some of those books though!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:35 am 
Prince/Princess

The fifth Harry Potter book?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:59 am 
Pharaoh

No not yet, I am re reading the 4th to prepare for the next movie, WOOT WOOT, NEXT THANKSGIVING!! My friend has the 5th one I need to borrow it from her.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:13 am 
Prince/Princess

Ohhhh....the 4th is the best. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:55 am 
Pharaoh

PharoahKel wrote:
Ugh, Im still trying to finish my Harry Potter book before I start another book, I hate reading two at a time, I need to find some of those books though!

I love Harry Potter ( have and read them all, a couple of times!) Myself Pharoah Kel, i enjoy reading 3 or 4 books at a time. Remember varity is the spice of life. LOL :) i also just ordered the book Orisis II has, The Amarna Age- Egypt in the hopes it will be as big if not bigger help to me :) When i was a kid, folks called me the book eater :) because i read so many books.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:00 pm 
Pharaoh

I know what you mean, Sekhmet. I have so many books I am reading that I must stumble my way into bed at night! Thank God I have a lot of book-marks!
Of course, right now we're moving--so all of me books have been packed up. I feel a craving to sneak a box open...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:47 pm 
Pharaoh

I used to read all the time, but high school gets very hectic and you run out of time to do that lol I normally fall asleep now adays with a book resting on my stomach. And its taking me forever to read Harry Potter because I only read it at my Dad's becasue my Mom hates those books and movies, because they are about magic and stuff. She hates Tomb Raider too! Im a Tomb Raider freak lol, I loved the games before there was a movie, and the movies rock!But the second isnt as good as the first. Hot guy though :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:18 pm 
Pharaoh

Osiris II wrote:
I know what you mean, Sekhmet. I have so many books I am reading that I must stumble my way into bed at night! Thank God I have a lot of book-marks!
Of course, right now we're moving--so all of me books have been packed up. I feel a craving to sneak a box open...

:) i hope you get moved fast then, or go ahead and sneak! Never, ever be without a book a cardial rule of mine. When i break it, i always regret breaking it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:25 pm 
Pharaoh

Haha, thats a good rule

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6