All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Book question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:01 am 
Prince/Princess

I've just read Steffen Wenig's book Women in Ancient Egypt and it refers several times to "Queen Meritaten, daughter of Thutmose III". I've never heard of this namesake of mine. Did Thutmose really have a daughter called Meritaten, and can it mean that the Amarna reforms or the cult of Aten have their origins in an earlier time than we thought? (I know Aten was already known in earlier times but wasn't really an important god.)

I'm afraid it is only a typing error and originally it was Meritamen (Wenig also refers to Ahmose Nefertari as Ahmose Nefertiti) but the translation of the book was supervised by a very famous Hungarian egyptologist so I don't think he would have left errors in it. But... Thutmose did have a daughter called Meritamen, so maybe this Meritaten is just Meritamen in disguise? What do you think?

Queen Meritamun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:25 am 
Hi Meritamun

Actually before the Amarna Meritaten, the name Meritamun (the only difference being in the god that was included in the name) was given to serveal women. One was the daughter of Ahmose Nefertari. This Queen Meritamun married her brother Amenhotep I. She also held the title God's Wife, a popular title of early 18th Dynasty Queens that fell into disfavor after the reign of Thutmosis IV. (see Women in Ancient Egypt, by Robin Gay, Harvard University Press, 1996. pg 150) Thutmosis III did have a daughter, Meritamun who was also given the title of God's Wife and has been considered a Queen of his son, Amenhotep II.

As for your question about the Amarna "reforms" having an earlier genesis the answer is yes. (see KMT A Modern Journal of Ancient Egypt, Volume 13, Numer 2, Summer 2002: The 4th and Final Thutmosis by Dennis Forbes pg. 40) pg 51 begins to detail Thutmosis's "reshaping of the image of the King vis-a vis his relationship with the gods...emphasis on solar worship saw the bringing to the fore of a previously quite obscure sun-deity, the Aten: more specifically, the physical disc of the sun visible in the daytime sky.... This very same Aten would in only a few decades, have become the chief and ultimately sole deity of the Two Lands."

It is believed that Thutmosis IV began the Aten revolution in response to the growing power of the Amun priesthood that really took off under his grandfather's (Thutmosis III) reign.

Today it is recongized that his son Amenhotep III continued the worship of the Aten and the evolution of the King's relationship with the Gods. His son Amenhotep IV/Akhenaten took the evolution to it's final and disastrous end in his "reforms".

Akhenaten did have a daughter that bore the historical Merit of her early 18th Dynasty ancestors. Only the god that was added to her name was Aten, not Amun.

Guest 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:01 pm 
Pharaoh

Good for you Guest Number 2. Do you happen to have a name? You know to much to just be a number.

Peace out,
Alittle Rock and Roll
Belinda

name
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:22 pm 
Peace out love in :)
Thanks Belinda, however there are quite a few folks here that know a lot as well. The name is Patricia Jean but Pj is fine.

literary talent
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:57 pm 
Pharaoh

We can alway's use more of.
Nice to have you around Pj!

and yes,
peace out,
love in,
Belinda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:49 am 
Prince/Princess

Thanks!