All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 

529BC cats help Persia defeat PsamtikIII
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:07 pm 
Servant
Offline

Joined:Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:43 am
Posts:30
Anyone heard this tale? Some sites say the cat bit is a myth,on other sites it seems to be a given. What do you think? I like the tale but reckon it is pretty unlikely:

The persians are attacking. King Psamtik III leads the Nile Dwelllers into battle. Persian leader Cambyses II instructs each of his men to carry a cat because he knows this will make the Egyptians throw down their spears as they cannot harm the sacred creatures. He is right, the Egyptians are defeated and the city of Pelusium is taken without the shedding of blood.

If true, it's a pretty cool idea and i wonder why more foreign agressors didn't think of this ploy :D

Casey


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:11 am 
Prince/Princess
Offline

Joined:Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:41 am
Posts:252
Location: England
I guess it could be true but I somehow doubt it.


Top
 Profile  
 

Re: 529BC cats help Persia defeat PsamtikIII
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:16 am 
Servant
Offline

Joined:Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:51 pm
Posts:8
Casey wrote:
Anyone heard this tale? Some sites say the cat bit is a myth,on other sites it seems to be a given. What do you think? I like the tale but reckon it is pretty unlikely:

The persians are attacking. King Psamtik III leads the Nile Dwelllers into battle. Persian leader Cambyses II instructs each of his men to carry a cat because he knows this will make the Egyptians throw down their spears as they cannot harm the sacred creatures. He is right, the Egyptians are defeated and the city of Pelusium is taken without the shedding of blood.

If true, it's a pretty cool idea and i wonder why more foreign agressors didn't think of this ploy :D

Casey


well most reason egyptian were because of technological disadvantage. persian had devolop well trained cavalry and cavalry archer while egyptian were still using chariot and foot infantry in the combat. not just all egyptian soldier were lacked of body protection and bad quality shield and weaponry were also the deadly fact that cause they were lost the war.it was already appear early in battle of kadesh.


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:29 am 
Pharaoh
Offline

Joined:Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:54 am
Posts:509
Location: Taunton, UK
If it were true where did they get all the cats they needed?


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:09 pm 
Servant
Offline

Joined:Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:51 pm
Posts:8
tnrees wrote:
If it were true where did they get all the cats they needed?



pet store! doh!


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:01 pm 
Prince/Princess
Offline

Joined:Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:41 am
Posts:252
Location: England
EmoWorld wrote:
tnrees wrote:
If it were true where did they get all the cats they needed?



pet store! doh!


There was I expecting a sensible answer. :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


  Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], luziw4 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Style by web designer custom , optymalizacja seo pozycjonowanie stron pozycjonowanie
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group