All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Beneath the Sphinx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:37 pm 
Prince/Princess

Well, I don't think this is in the right forum, but oh well.

I saw this special on the Sphinx and it said that the Sphinx had water erosion, which tells that it was from earlier than the Egyptians, and that there is something beneath it.

Who do you think built it, and what do you think is under the Sphinx?

Re: Beneath the Sphinx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:48 pm 
Tomb Robber

Amun-Ra wrote:
Well, I don't think this is in the right forum, but oh well.

I saw this special on the Sphinx and it said that the Sphinx had water erosion, which tells that it was from earlier than the Egyptians, and that there is something beneath it.

Who do you think built it, and what do you think is under the Sphinx?

hmmmm an ancent city made by the egyptians.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:17 pm 
Egyptian Architect

I always believed something lay beneath this great structure. I have seen many documentarys on the Sphinx and all said the opposite. I think either something is definitly underneith it, or that the Sphinx was apart of some other type of tradition or ceremony...i'm not sure why i think this, though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:42 am 
Prince/Princess

I've read that it was built around 10 500 BC and this is the same year when the temples at Angkor Vat were built. Interesting co-incidence.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:35 pm 
Egyptian Architect

I don't believe it's that old. Even with that water erosion. After all, it used to rain there, didn't it? And Nile used to flow much closer to the pyramids as it does today.

Legends
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:36 pm 
Pharaoh

I believe there to be the convenant of the lost ark to be in direct location to the sphinx. I also believe that we originated from the heaven's. Not necessarily alien's but star's in the heaven's. We are just a grain of sand in the universe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:38 am 
Prince/Princess

bel, could you please give me more information on the convanent of the lost ark, if thats how u spell in, im a lousy speller

Re: Legends
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:07 pm 
Pharaoh

bel wrote:
I believe there to be the convenant of the lost ark to be in direct location to the sphinx. I also believe that we originated from the heaven's. Not necessarily alien's but star's in the heaven's. We are just a grain of sand in the universe.

Yea, thats like the 7th time youve said that.

Sphinx
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:50 am 
Pharaoh

In the late 90's, the condition of the Sphinx was carefully examined, and at that time was found to be in terrible shape. Pieces were missing, the Roman re-building was beginning to crumble, poorly designed restoration work just looked bad! So it was decided to restore the Sphinx, as much as possible, to its original condition. Zawi Hawass and Mark Lehner were both in charge of the restoration work. They carefully examined the area round the Sphinx, the Sphinx itself, and took sonar readings underground. They found a tunneling, dug it out, and followed it to--nowhere! It ended in a small chamber that was a dead-end. They DID find a 1905 newspaper and a man's shoe, showing that at one time the tunnel had been opened. After being restored, a big ceremony showed it off to the public. To me, not enough restoration was done on the neck and head, but the body looks great!
The conclusion reached at the time, though, was that there was nothing more to be found in, around or under the Sphinx.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:50 am 
Prince/Princess

i am looking forward to read an article in NEXUS magazine, i do realise that the magazine is quite unreliable. and as yet i cannot be sure if this is any different, but when i get around to it and check all it out ill let u know

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:06 pm 
Pharaoh

I think if they did do restoration on the head and neck, it wont look like the Sphinx we all know and love. It would look too new.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:24 am 
Prince/Princess

I was reading something, an article i think, about how a guy used knowlege about the erosion on the sphinx to re create what is would have looked like by plottind about 1 million surfaces if it had been restored he couldnt have done that!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:39 pm 
Tomb Robber

Hi guys - New to the board! :)

I find the Sphynx to be one of the most fascinating things in Egyptian mythology, alongside the Great Pyramid, and the possible Orion's Belt theory amongst the pyramids at Giza.

As to whether or not there is something underneath the Sphynx, I'm not sure, but I won't deny the possibility.

Osiris II mentioned the tunnel that led to nowhere, but I believe that it's a possibility (Knowing how some of the Egyptian stuff was done) that the tunnel may have been sealed, and there could've been more beyond what they found, but never tried to get past it, or didn't look hard enough...
There must've been a reason for that tunnel - What was it, is the question?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:44 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

hey Zohren. Welcome to the board. Make a welcome topic in the Coffee Lounge so this topic doesn't, well, get offtopic. Glad to see you arrived.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:15 am 
Pharaoh

The tunnel was probably the start of an intrusive burial that wasn't finished. Many later Egyptians would use existing sites for their burials, usually figuring that using something already dug was much more economical than excavating their own tomb. I don't really understand the concept of being buried in a tomb that made reference to another person in wall paintings, though!