All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:19 am 
Pharaoh

Like all Brits I am a true cynic at heart. Can you honestly say that two eleven year olds could fall in love? At that age most boys think girls are "yukky" and vice versa. Can love sring out of that?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:22 am 
Gods/Goddesses

actually...you'd be surprised how fast that's changing...with all the media that's out there about boys getting with girls, kids are starting earlier.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:10 am 
Pharaoh

Did you hear about those 1 yr olds in Japan that got married? Seriously, theyre parents like put them next to each other and married them lol Can you imagine being 5 and having a hubby lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:11 am 
Prince/Princess

I think that with two 11 year olds it is possible that they love each other but I mean 1 year olds , yeah they are not really in love.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:53 pm 
Pharaoh

No, no lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm 
Servant

Not to get into race again, but I just want o clear certain things up. The unification of Egypt occured when African Egyptians from the south defeated Asiatic settlers of the delta, and unified the country. The first Egyptians did not come from Western Asia, but were Nilotic Africans. I think this is pretty much the general consensus. Given that Egypt is strategically located between the Middle East and Africa, there was obviously race mixing, espcially in Lower Egypt, which was usually considered to have a more 'Mediterranean look' than Upper Egypt. Thus a dynasty originating from the Delta would likely be somewhat racially different than a dynasty originating from Thebes. To say Egypt was 100% black is wrong, but to say the population was generally 'black' or 'African'(by Western standards of race) is probably correct, especially before the Hyskos invasion. The population obviously was more mixed and ligher in the north, and got darker as you travel down the Nile towards Nubia. This even holds true today to a large extent. In my opinion, the 'typical' Egyptian of pharonic times probably resembled the people of Ethiopia/Somalia today, who are basically brown skinned Africans, many times with 'narrower' features than Nubians. Interestingly enough, I have read that the Egyptains themselves claimed to have come from Punt (East Africa). Many Egyptain artifacts depict many cultural affinities with traditional Nilotic cultures (ie hair styles, dress etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:54 pm 
Prince/Princess

This is completely off topic I think, but oh well.

What about the first unification under Narmer? I think I read he was also supposed to be from the south?
And about very early history? I have a hard time keeping my Naqadas, Gerzeans etc straight. :D But the history is moved further and further back. Do you know what the earliest discoveries in egypt point to? I.e. where are they finding these materials?
I thought there were pre-dynastic finds rather far south that already show some of the egyptian iconography. I just can't remember the dates for that. Do you?

There's a book by Wilkinson which discusses some petroglyphs from the eastern desert which are very interesting. They show inscriptions with people (maybe gods??) in boats. These would also predate the egyptian culture as we now know it by quite a while.

Then of course there's the Nabta Playa but that totally predates the egyptian culture. I'm not sure if they have determined a connection between that site and the beginnings of what we now consider the egyptian culture.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:25 am 
Prince/Princess

Originally posted by Si-amun

Quote:
Like all Brits I am a true cynic at heart. Can you honestly say that two eleven year olds could fall in love? At that age most boys think girls are "yukky" and vice versa. Can love sring out of that?

It does seem a bit unlikely. We know that Amenhotep did have a sister called Sitamun but some have postulated that she was a little young to assume the duties of a Great Royal Wife. Amenhotep was King and he needed to start fathering heirs. If he had grown up closely with tiye, considering her parents prominance highly likely and being relatively close in age, it would be natural for him to take, possibly his closest friend as his wife when he ascended the throne. she was certainly noble if not royal. And she quickly gave him the required heir and spare so their would be no reason to replace her with Amenhotep's sister when she did become of suitable age, that's not to say she didn't become a secondary wife though. I read somewhere on the net that she did?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:17 pm 
Scribe

She was an amazing women and it seemed that The Great Royal Wife was a role she liked. It seems she really too pride in it. The man treated her like a queen!
as far as Tiye: Now I ain't sayin she a gold digger..but she wasn't messin with no broke ni**a!
(excuse me that song has been in my head for over a week now :? )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:19 am 
Scribe

Get down girl, go ahead get down..

LOL I frick'n love that song!!! Kanye West is such an amazing artist.

She take my money when I'm in need
Yeah she's a trifflin friend indeed
Oh she's a gold digga way over town
That dig's on me
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:10 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

Ugh...Kanye West. He needs to learn to stick to music and not politics.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:35 pm 
Pharaoh

I think we are so keen to put modern English cultural institutions on non-English cultural settings. We assume that marriage means love because it doe sin our culture, but if we look at this relatively or subjectively we can find few reasons why they would be in love. Would Amenhotep or Tiye have had any real say in who they married? And "love" between them was a pure religious rite as well as a possibility. In context I find it increasingly difficult to see love there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:58 am 
Scribe

I do believe it was true love also... :D
The way he treated her was an act of love and respect. Though love is apart of our culture who's to say it wasn't apart of there's? I have read numerous Ancient egyptian poems on love (god I'm such a romantic)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:47 pm 
Pharaoh

Joy,

I don't think anyone is contesting that love was a part of Ancient Egyptian culture. As you mentioned, there is a multitude of ancient texts to support this. What I think that Si-amun is saying (not that he needs anyone to speak for him, but I'm sure he won't wind me throwing my 2 cents in) is that many "royal" marriages were more for ceremonial or political purposes and more times than not probably arranged. This is to say that the marriage of Amenhotep III and Tiye may have been planned and occurred before they even had a chance to fall in love. This is not to say that they didn't eventually fall in love after this but that the circumstances surrounding their marriage might not have had anything to do with love.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:48 pm 
Tomb Robber

Akhenaten wrote:
I was thinking... The Egyptians could have very likely been a darker race, after all, many Egyptian men would have taken Nubian wives, right? Thant led me to thinking... If Queen Tye were Nubian, then it would make sense that in Akhenaten's statues (The really big ones used in his temple) he has African features. Everyone thinks that his art style was strange, but really, in most of his statues, maybe he was just portraying himself to look like what he really looked like: African! Just a thought :-)

Is it such a stretch to think that there may have been dark-skinned Egyptians as well?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next