All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:06 am 
Prince/Princess

Originally posted by Meritaton

Quote:
Hawass himself said DNA testing is not reliable. He hates Fletcher so much he even goes into contradicting himself. I still think this mummy is either Akhenaten's daughter or his sister.

here jere! He has made his feelings about her very clear in the past. I would not put it passed him to have made the whole thing up to discredit her.
I like stories and explanations that fit. Three mummies in the tomb, if you believe one is Tiye and the other Prince Tuthmose (speculating of course) its quite plausible for it to have been Nefertiti. That computer facial reconstruction they did, apparently working blind, was very accurate. Then again it could have been one of her daughters who may have resembled her. Meritaton or maybe even Ankhsenamun, her mummy was never found.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:27 pm 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
hee hee...mummies are like Michael Jackson. You don't know WHAT they are.

My goodness, isn't that the truth! Speaking of which, we have many mummies in our exhibit at the Field Museum, but dead bodies have never bothered me. What creeps me out at our exhibit is one, single artifact which we call the Michael Jackson bust. The resemblance is truly horrifying. It's a beautiful New Kingdom bust of a woman, but the Wacko Jacko similarity startles me every time I see it. :o

Anyway, on the subject of DNA testing, more of this has been done than many of us realize. Check out this web page about New Kingdom geneology. The first link is for a PDF you can download to read about DNA testing that has been conducted on numerous Egyptian mummies. The testing doesn't concern the specific mummies about which you folks have been talking, but it makes for interesting reading nonetheless.