All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

In your opinion, is Joanne Fletcher's mummy REALLY Nefertiti?
Total votes : 0

Is The Infamous "Nefertiti Mummy" really her?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:53 pm 
Prince/Princess

Joanne and the Discovery channel crew say yes.

All the other experts say no.

I say no.

What about you guys?[/i]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:37 am 
I think it might be Nefertiti but I am not sure. It could easly be Meritaten I mean if they think the mummy may be to young to be Nefertiti then maybe it is the age to be her oldest daughter. I can not think of anyone else it could be cause she has to be royal cause of her arms and how may Queens were there in the period. Who do you think it is????

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:00 pm 
Prince/Princess

From what I hear, the mummy's too young to be Nefertiti, but it seems to be an Amarna queen, so I'd definately guess Meritaten.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:51 am 
Egyptian Architect

I haven't seen that documentary yet, but I would go for Meritaten too. That's just my feeling...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:12 pm 
Prince/Princess

What about Ankhsenamun? She was a queen, too, and from the Amarna period, AND Nefertiti's daughter, which would explain the resenblance. She fits All of the things you have mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:59 pm 
Good point,
I wonder why the show did not say it could be Ankhesenamun or mention her. it could easly be her.But the only problem is they are not sure how old Ankhesenamun was when she died. When Tutankhamun died she was probaly in her early to mid 20s.They know she married Aye but after that she just vanishes.I wonder how they could prove that the mummy is Ankhesenamun rather then Meritaten or Nefertiti or someone else in the Amarna period.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:22 pm 
Prince/Princess

I know a way. DNA testing with the "Nefertiti" mummy to the still-born daughters of Tutankhamen!!!!! Ankhsenamun was their mother, after all!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:51 pm 
Egyptian Architect

Akhenaten wrote:
I know a way. DNA testing with the "Nefertiti" mummy to the still-born daughters of Tutankhamen!!!!! Ankhsenamun was their mother, after all!
Isn't DNA testing forbidden on Egyptian mummies? I've heard something like that when somebody wanted to test Tut's mummy, but wasn't allowed to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:41 pm 
Well if they are allowed to DNA test I wonder if the DNA has not deteriated over time. If it has not that would work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:19 pm 
Prince/Princess

DNA is still preserved in the most ancient of mummies, if you can find a sample to take that hasn't been touched (Like one from inside the body). DNA is not necissarily forbidden to be performed on Egyptian mummies, you just have to get permission from Zahi Hawass (Yeah, like that'll ever happen!) That's why it's not allowed, he won't let them do it! He thinks it's too invasive, and we should leave his ancestor's bodies alone. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:03 pm 
Oh, Well DNA testing would work. I wonder what they are going to do to tell who the mummy is if they can not DNA test on it. I guess they will just have to research it and see who the mummy would best fit as. It might take awhile if they ever know for sure who the mummy is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:17 am 
Egyptian Architect

I don't know much about DNA. Are there many differencies among relatives? For example, lets say that mummy can be Nefertiti, Meritaten or Ankhesenamun - isn't their DNA very similar?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:52 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

Well, I think this is how DNA testing works, but I could be wrong:

They take a DNA test of the mummy, and then take a test of someone that was related to Nefertiti by blood, and if the DNA patterns are similar, then the two samples belong to mummies that are related. Get it? :wink: So, we'd need one of Nefertiti's family's mummies. I dunno if we've found any, though. Tut wouldn't work, since Akhenaten had Tut with Kiya. Anyways, I don't really care about Zahi Hawass, but why does everyone ask him to do stuff? I forgot what he is that makes him so important.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:19 pm 
Prince/Princess

Well Tut is related to Nefertiti but not very closely. I am not sure if they are sure of all this but I have read that if Tut was the son of Akhenaten whos mother was Tiye and Tiye was the sister of Aye and Aye was Nefertitis Dad then that would make them related. That would make Tut Nefertits seconded cousin. And they think the elder lady in the tomb with Nefertitis mummy is Tiye who is thought to be Nefertitis Aunt. Do you think Tut and Tiye are close enough relatives or not.I bet Tiye is but they might not be sure enough to be able to DNA test on her if they are not sure it is her.But I may not be right it was along time ago but I thought I read in a book that they DNA tested the hair of the thought to be Tiyes mummy to the hair found in tuts tomb that was labled as Tiyes hair. And they matched so thats why they think it is Tiye. And if they did DNA test on the mummy hair why can't they DNA test on the Nefertiti mummy??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:32 am 
Gods/Goddesses

I don't see why not.