Of course, eventually! ^__^ 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
Nah, it's not time yet...I think. O_o 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Sure, if they set thier minds to it! ^__^; 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Tutness...beat yer boredom someplace else!! >_< 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:31 pm 
Pharaoh

kmt_sesh wrote:
Our favorite mummy is a Late Period man named Harwa. This picture is of Harwa in profile, but he's displayed in such a way that you can stand right in front of him and see him face to face about a foot away through the glass. I've always wished I had it rigged so that when someone was gawking in amazement right at Harwa, I could click a remote switch and make his eyes pop open. :o

It's scary how my mind works.

LOL!!! That would be awesome, for Halloween at least. :lol: Ahh, but the poor kids...would they not be scarred for life after that? :shock: :lol: Kmt-buddy, I do hope your fellow docents have a sense of humor. Take pictures of them being scared witless! ^__^ :lol:

Might I add, to Psusennes I, where have you been?! It's been so long since you came on! :cry: I miss Si-amun, too.

Welcome back, Psus! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:13 pm 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
LOL!!! That would be awesome, for Halloween at least.

LOL I don't think our curators would look too kindly upon me for rigging Harwa's 2600-year-old eyelids to pop open. I'm afraid it shall remain a fantasy of mine.

We have a very large collection of mummies, and you can get very close to many of them--just a thin pane of glass between you and an ancient dead body. Part of our mummy exhibit is a catacomb setting that one might see in Lower Egypt in the time of the Greeks and Romans, and a couple of the body niches are purposely empty. I've always wanted to wrap up myself like a mummy, lie down in one of these niches, wait for someone to gaze very closely at me, and then shoot up against the glass!

Wouldn't that just be ever so much fun! But I'd get in trouble for two reasons: 1) Scaring museum visitors, and 2) creating large puddles of pee on the floor for our janitors to clean up. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:49 am 
Pharaoh

kmt_sesh wrote:
Wouldn't that just be ever so much fun! But I'd get in trouble for two reasons: 1) Scaring museum visitors, and 2) creating large puddles of pee on the floor for our janitors to clean up. :D

LOL, ah well, the janitors need the money anyway, right? :shock: You'd be putting them out of a job if there were no messes to clean up. :lol: Same goes for Halloween....that's around the time that dentists usually make more money. Poor, naive little kids. It's all about chocolate and candy and then, oops! Cavity! It's a dentist's money-making holiday.

Which is one of the reasons I hoarded some of the candy myself, with the excuse that dentists make enough money as it is. :lol: :wink: Gotta love dentists...to a certain degree, that is. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:15 pm 
Servant

Everyone loves the brain-through-the-nose business, but they get told neither that the brain was probably just left to drip out slowly for a while nor that it was then fed to resident cats. Good ol' mortuary technology.

Among those kids at museums are some "good" ones. If you go to a members-only opening, for example ("Eternal Egypt" :D ), you can see some furiously taking notes about artefacts. I love it when that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:18 pm 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
Among those kids at museums are some "good" ones. If you go to a members-only opening, for example ("Eternal Egypt" Very Happy ), you can see some furiously taking notes about artefacts. I love it when that happens.

I see that quite often, and usually at about this time of year. This is when many of the teachers in Chicagoland have their students studying ancient history, and they'll use our exhibit for their kids during their studies of ancient Egypt. Working with the schoolkids is one of my favorite parts of being a docent. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:53 am 
Pharaoh

kmt_sesh wrote:
I see that quite often, and usually at about this time of year. This is when many of the teachers in Chicagoland have their students studying ancient history, and they'll use our exhibit for their kids during their studies of ancient Egypt. Working with the schoolkids is one of my favorite parts of being a docent. :D

Chicagoland? LOL!!! :lol: :lol: Heh, sounds magical, buddy! Lets all go to the magnificent realm of Chicagoland! :wink:

I wish I went to a museum for a field trip, especially when we studied about Tut and Ancient Egypt in my Geography class back when I was in 6th grade. :cry: The first Egyptian exhibit I'll see is this year, when I visit Tut. And I'm greatfull going, don't get me wrong, it's just that...it's too far off...two months is a long wait for an impulsive and impatient person like me! :? :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:52 pm 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
...two months is a long wait for an impulsive and impatient person like me! Confused

Two months? Only two months? Consider yourself lucky, friend. I have SIX months to wait! :o :o :o I don't know what I'm going to do.

Come to Chicagoland and enjoy the rides! "Chicagoland" is just the term the locals use to describe not just the city but all of the suburbs as well. Though if you're interested in scary rides, try any of the expressways or tollways during rush hour. Well, I guess they're more infuriating than frightening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:49 am 
Pharaoh

kmt_sesh wrote:
Two months? Only two months? Consider yourself lucky, friend. I have SIX months to wait! :o :o :o I don't know what I'm going to do.

Come to Chicagoland and enjoy the rides! "Chicagoland" is just the term the locals use to describe not just the city but all of the suburbs as well. Though if you're interested in scary rides, try any of the expressways or tollways during rush hour. Well, I guess they're more infuriating than frightening.

Awww, buddy! I feel your pain. But have no worries, we will both have a dose of Tut soon! We just gotta keep ourselves busy until then. Tut is actually my birthday present, but I don't know if the museum will be open on Christmas eve. :?

LOL, I thought you made up the "Chicagoland" term!! :lol: That's still clever, nonetheless. :wink: I love rides! Whee!! 8) I remember riding my first subway in New York city, and I didn't hold on to the pole, and I went flying back to the ground. :shock: Hey, it was my first time, and I didn't know they went that fast when they ran! :? Yeesh...well, after that, I sat in the seats. I remember it was when I went to N.Y for a week with my musical theatre group, for Thanksgiving holiday. It was really cold, but pretty fun. ^__^

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:09 pm 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
Tut is actually my birthday present, but I don't know if the museum will be open on Christmas eve.

Ha ha...we'll be open on Christmas Eve. The only day the Field is closed is Christmas Day. We even have extended hours through the holidays. So why don't you bop on up to Chicago and see Tut...oh, wait, that's right, we're not getting the exhibit till May. :cry:

Quote:
I remember riding my first subway in New York city, and I didn't hold on to the pole, and I went flying back to the ground.

Chicago has its own massive subway system, only most of it happens to be above ground. I guess that's why it's called the EL (Elevated Line), or "L" for short. It's one of the best things about the city and even kind of fun. I can hop on the Red Line station a block and a half from my apartment, head straight downtown, and take a bus a few blocks to get to the museum. If only I could do the same thing for work. :x :x :x I'm on car #2 in Chicago now because my daily commute more or less destroyed my last car. Take tonight, for instance. My place of work is about 23 miles from my apartment, and it took me over two hours to get home tonight!

Again, I must say :x :x :x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:07 am 
Egyptian Architect

hey kmt_sesh what museum are you talking about? where is it? is it yours? lol i would love to go see it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:09 am 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
hey kmt_sesh what museum are you talking about? where is it? is it yours? lol i would love to go see it!

Yep, it's mine. I run it out of my garage with papier-mâché mummies and balsa-wood coffins. :D

Okay, that's not true. I'm a docent at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. We have a large and wonderful ancient Egyptian exhibit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:37 pm 
Pharaoh

kmt_sesh wrote:
Ha ha...we'll be open on Christmas Eve. The only day the Field is closed is Christmas Day. We even have extended hours through the holidays. So why don't you bop on up to Chicago and see Tut...oh, wait, that's right, we're not getting the exhibit till May. :cry:

Awwww!! You know, I'd still come and see it, because I love Tut so much, and my comic kinda depends on my being at the exhibit, for either references or just to bother the boy-king's stuff. I'm even having a mini-photoshoot there for my about the author pages. ^__^ But, you won't see my face! Not until the very last volume, and my comic has 12 volumes. I'm so evil like that. :lol: :wink:

Quote:
I can hop on the Red Line station a block and a half from my apartment, head straight downtown, and take a bus a few blocks to get to the museum. If only I could do the same thing for work. :x :x :x I'm on car #2 in Chicago now because my daily commute more or less destroyed my last car. Take tonight, for instance. My place of work is about 23 miles from my apartment, and it took me over two hours to get home tonight!Again, I must say :x :x :x

Oi, wow. :shock: I always wanted to ride the ELs. They look like fun. ^__^ And I'm sorry it...took you so long to get back home. I hate it when you're so far away, and all you want to do is go home and prop your feet up, and lay on the couch, watch T.V. Stuff like that. ^__^ Well, on the bright side, at least you made it home! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:53 pm 
Egyptian Architect

Red Line?
When I go to Chicago I, we usually take the Blue Line that heads to O'Hare. Then again, I'm a north suburban girl.

The Els are alot of fun, expecially if you want to go somewhere fast. If you live outside the city though, I recommend taking Metra trains.

Palatine is close to Schaumberg, you know Woodfield Mall? There is an El stop. It starts as the Blue Line that goes from Rosemont to O'Hare,and then you can go to Red,etc.
I once went to Chicago on a Field Trip to the Federal Bank & Mercantire Exchange. For my Business class. We ate lunch by Buckingham Fountain, and you got a clear shot of the Field Museum!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:30 pm 
Prince/Princess

I've taken the EL out to O'Hare several times when I need to fly somewhere, but I'm really not familiar with the lines out there. I work up in a tiny suburb north of Deerfield and have taken Metra up that far several times when my old car was in the shop, but there is no train or bus between the station and my job, so it does me only so much good. Otherwise I'd leave me car at home and take the train every day, especially considering I just got a new (used) car and don't want my dreadful commute to destroy it bit by bit.

Quote:
I once went to Chicago on a Field Trip to the Federal Bank & Mercantire Exchange. For my Business class. We ate lunch by Buckingham Fountain, and you got a clear shot of the Field Museum!

What a lovely spot for lunch. I love that fountain and the park--it's a beautiful peace of real estate. And yep, straight down Lakeshore is the Field. If I'm in a particularly energetic mood (which is getting increasingly rare these days :shock: ), I'll take the Red Line down to the museum and then at the end of the day walk through Grant Park by the fountain and use one of the Red Line stations near the Art Institute (another fabulous museum) to go home. It makes for a very enjoyable walk. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:51 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

This is long belated, but topic please. The off-topic discussion would make a fine topic in some other forum, so do make one if you wish to continue it.