All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

New kingdom alteration to the Sphinx?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:13 am 
Pharaoh

I have just received my copy of BES -Buletin of the Egyptian Soiety UK and an article mentions that a group near me has been looking at the dream stela in conjunction with some drawings of now lost hieroglyphs by Sethe and it seems the face of the Sphinx may have been altered in the new kingdom - another blow to to the unknown civilization/aliens made the sphinx camp.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:38 am 
Pharaoh

I don't know about the face being altered--it makes sense, though. The head, in proportion to the rest of the body, is much too small. This indicates that at one time it may[b] have been re-carved.
Actually, the restoration and "shoring up" of the sphinx has been going on for thousands of years. There's evidence of Egyptian work done, along with Roman and of course modern work. That that seems to have been among the best is the Roman restorations. Although that just recently completed is very good also--great effort went into using only those materials that were originally used. It's paid off though. The work done has insured another century or two for the statue! Hopefully, by then more restoration will be possible.[/b]