All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:04 am 
Prince/Princess

Psusennes I wrote:
Cosmology departments are begging for more students, and that's another of my passions.

Interesting and quite challenging. Get to dive into 4-dimensional space, non-euclidean geometry, Minkowski space, etc.

Fun stuff and somewhat mind bending too :D My PhD is in geometric topology and my current research program involves 2-, 3-, and 4-dimensional hyperbolic spaces. My friend and research partner actually has some mathematical papers that are sideways related to cosmology (hypotheses are a bit too strong to make them true cosmology papers though :) )

Always difficult if you have different interests isn't it? I know a lot of people who actually "try different fields on for size" before making a final decision.
I wish you luck making your decisions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:09 am 
Pharaoh

Ehm... I'm confused. Cosmology, as in making people look "beautiful", or like Astronomy? If it's astronomy, then maybe we can hit on the same note; I'm very much into theoretical astro-physics.. But I'd be horrible at it, because really, I didn't put in the effort in math classes, so my ideas are really philisophical..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 am 
Pharaoh

No. Cosmology as in:

1:
The study of the physical universe considered as a totality of phenomena in time and space.

2:
a) The astrophysical study of the history, structure, and constituent dynamics of the universe.
b)A specific theory or model of this structure and these dynamics.

Cosmology is the main branch of Astrophysics. It's what astrophysicists do at Univeristy, and what I going to take for an A2 level in the Upper Sixth.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:22 am 
Pharaoh

Ah, so you're on the mathmatical end, where I'm on the crazy hermit with wild ideas end!

I guess I should've known, I really couldn't picture you giving haircuts and applying makeup..! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:40 am 
Pharaoh

Heheh. Well. . . no. Neither can I!

When it comes to Cosmology I prefer the practical geological parts to the complicated sums to work out densities, intercept routes for spacecraft and so on, but obviously both aspects are essential if you want to make it in the field. I would be getting out my 'scope this evening to look at Saturn and Jupiter. Both of them are in great position- you'll probably see them this evening if you're on the Northern Hemisphere. You can actually use simple binoculars to see Saturn's rings- Galileo did it with a homemade telescope in the 1600s, and most binoculars are actually superior. If you look the the West then you can see them, sliding down in a diagonal sweep like this: \

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:53 am 
Pharaoh

Bah, that's boring..! Besides, I don't have binoculars.. ! Hehe.. Actually, not boring, but I can't, because I live right where there are lights out, 24/7... the stars are all drowned out! :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:08 pm 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
Hmm. I'm still not sure if it's for me. Cosmology departments are begging for more students, and that's another of my passions. It'd be selfish just to apply for the sake of it when there's something else I could do and be equally happy. . . hmmm. . .

That's an important decision to make. You really want to have to be an Egyptologist if you try to get a degree in that. Dr. Mudloff at the Field got his degree around 30 years ago, and he still likes to talk about all the people who washed out or just disappeared...especially when studying hieroglyphs came around. Just think how far that field has come in 30 years, so I'll bet it's much more difficult now. I wouldn't know personally because I don't have a degree in Egyptology, but if I had money to blow, I'd be glad to give it a try just for the learning experience!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:07 am 
Scribe

can you say the a word on here or no

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:38 am 
Pharaoh

Oh, you mean ass? No, you can't.

..Well, "swearing" is frowned upon, but it does not seem to be a highly punishable offense. Really, it's a matter of context.

For example, the rules can be bent if it was something like, "that game kicked my ass". But something like, "you're a piece of shit" would be well.. bad.

So, really it's just common sense! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:52 pm 
Scribe

um you just sweared aren't you going to get in troble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:54 pm 
Pharaoh

Unas wrote:
Oh, you mean ass? No, you can't.

..Well, "swearing" is frowned upon, but it does not seem to be a highly punishable offense. Really, it's a matter of context.

For example, the rules can be bent if it was something like, "that game kicked my ass". But something like, "you're a piece of shit" would be well.. bad.

So, really it's just common sense! :wink:

:lol: :lol: Unas has no shame to say it, and I don't either!! ...Unless, of course, I sound like a complete fool, like some morons that come on here out of nowhere and insult people, which I HATE with a PASSION!!! :x Grrrrrr....Anyways...I'll never be a foolish idiot on here...I'm the one that tends to AVOID fights, rather than start them... :shock: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:30 pm 
Pharaoh

Psusennes I wrote:
Heheh. Well. . . no. Neither can I!

When it comes to Cosmology I prefer the practical geological parts to the complicated sums to work out densities, intercept routes for spacecraft and so on, but obviously both aspects are essential if you want to make it in the field. I would be getting out my 'scope this evening to look at Saturn and Jupiter. Both of them are in great position- you'll probably see them this evening if you're on the Northern Hemisphere. You can actually use simple binoculars to see Saturn's rings- Galileo did it with a homemade telescope in the 1600s, and most binoculars are actually superior. If you look the the West then you can see them, sliding down in a diagonal sweep like this: \

This is awesome information :!:
Please let us known when Mar's is in retrogade, will ya :!:

i found this interesting .... Psusennes I :arrow:
Astronomy Lecture Tutorial
Monday, September 08, 2003

In our observations of stars last week we saw different colors in the stars. What is the primary property that determines star color for the stars that we see? What is the literal Greek meaning of the word “planet”? Why?
Last Thursday we viewed the moon fairly close to Antares. In what constellation will the moon be found when it is full this Wednesday. You can figure this out using the planisphere.
Sketch the position of Mars against the background of stars in the sky that shows the retrograde motion for Mars.
In the Ptolemaic model of the solar system, draw a diagram of Mar’s orbit around the earth that shows retrograde motion.

Draw the orbit of earth and Mars around the sun in the Copernican model that explains the retrograde motion of Mars.

Galileo made an important discovery with his telescope which showed that something else in the universe is the center of a system. Describe his discovery.
The Ptolemaic and the Copernican models for the solar system are purely geometric: i. e. they don’t invoke any physical laws. Isaac Newton (1642-2747) was the first to develop physical laws that govern planetary motion – the same laws that govern trucks and cars on earth. Describe these laws and discuss a demonstration of one of these laws.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:39 pm 
Pharaoh

Originally the probelems of retrograde motion were avoided by giving the planets (a word which means 'wanderer' in Ancient Greek) epicycles (i.e double-orbits). However this slowly got more and more illogical, with only the sun (mysteriously) not needing an epicycle. Obviously the solution was to put the Earth at the centre.

Mars stalled for its retrograde (seemingly moving the 'wrong way' around the sun due to Earth passing past it) in March earlier this year. Planets like Uranus stall whenever we pass them. There's an interesting flash feature, which sums up the whole thing somewhere here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/solarsystem/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:01 am 
Pharaoh

Maybe it isn't Mar's. Seem's i remember Astrologically speaking it was bad for your Sun sign to be in retrograde w/Mar's, but then what do I know about it. Definately no expert here! I study other thing's, like cooking, horticulture; our mind's controlling nature! I think what you do is groovey cool! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:09 am 
Pharaoh

Thanks a lot Bel. Unfortunately it is now completely overcast. I doubt I'll be able to see the blue of the sky- let alone Mars! Astrology is pretty hilarious, especially when you scientifically analyse the few pieces of jargon that are inserted: Just a few days ago I read "Today the Sun's retrograde through Arctunus will bring x,y and z into your life." How do you know it's rubbish? The Sun never has a retrograde orbit. Ever! How many times have you seen the sun rise twice in the same day? Hehehe. It's funny.

Oh, and the main law that I can recall off the top of my head for Newtonian physics is:

g x M1 x M2 / d squared = Force

Where g equals the gravitational constant, M1 is the mass of the first body, M2 is the mass of the second body, d is the distance between them, and the equation generates the force in Newtons between the two bodies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next