All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Do you think egyptologysts will find Akhenaten's mummy, and if yes, where?
No, they won't find it 45%  45%  [ 10 ]
Yes, in Thebes 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Yes, in Amarna 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but somewhere else 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
They've already found it! It's the KV55's mummy! 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:22 am 
Prince/Princess

Thanks Lostris!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:44 am 
Pharaoh

kmt_sesh wrote:
Snacks it is, then. I'll bring bread, beer, and the choicest cuts of oxen with some fowl thrown in. And why apologize for believing Akhenaten was Tut's father? That's the leading theory.

Now, were you to say that you believe Tut's father was one of the aliens or Atlanteans who founded Egypt...well, then you'd have something to apologize for!

Oh, and about the Easter Bunny, tell him to mind his own business. And tell him I bought a shotgun. I don't want any trouble with that big ol' fur ball. :x

If you bring beer, Kmt, someone here MUST be the designated driver!! :lol: Meh-heh, anywho, I'm glad it's the leading theory...I just get so peeved when people claim that they are BROTHERS!! :x Grrr....Akhenaten was 26 when Tut was born, I think he would have more mojo than Amenhotep III. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Please...don't shoot the Easter bunny!! :cry: He's in the middle of teaching me how to dance the Riverdance!!! (And yes, Kmt, the Easter Bunny apparently has a side-job, now...he entertains all over bunny land, and yet makes only $10.50 a NIGHT!! He has a family of 12 to feed, Kmt!! Have mercy!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Anyway, Lostris, I like the idea...and we should have different corners of the site be dedicated to the different dynasties the pharaohs/queens ruled as well!! And we should put random stuff in there, like a dancing Akhenaten, or something!! :D :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:24 am 
Prince/Princess

Nice to hear about you again, Tutness! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:54 am 
Pharaoh

Yes, Lostris...I'm glad that I came out of hiding...some forums were getting too crazy!! :shock: But I'm also happy to hear from you again, as well!! :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:40 pm 
Prince/Princess

Don't hide, tutness. Jump into the foray with both fists flailing. We need all the help we can get against the obstinate and self-righteous.

And as a concession to you, I'll load my shotgun with birdshot. It will sting the Easter Bunny but likely will not be lethal.

Hmmm, reminds me of my days in the army so many, many years ago. We had rabbit more than once in the messhall. It tasted like chicken, seriously. I wonder what the Easter Bunny tastes like? Or is he just furry on the outside and milk-chocolate on the inside?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:33 pm 
Prince/Princess

Just curious, but have any of you considered the mummy that is now identified as Amenhotep III as a candidate?

You can find information about this mummy at this website:
http://members.tripod.com/anubis4_2000/mummypages1/18B.htm#Amenhotep%20III

The mummy is apparently quite unique. It is packed with resins in a manner not seen again until the 21st dynasty. The mummy dates to roughly the right period (it seems).

The shroud and some bandages are clearly marked Amenhotep III, but there is so much confusion concerning these mummies that it might at the very least be fun to look at this one more closely :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:50 pm 
Pharaoh

kmt_sesh wrote:
Don't hide, tutness. Jump into the foray with both fists flailing. We need all the help we can get against the obstinate and self-righteous.

And as a concession to you, I'll load my shotgun with birdshot. It will sting the Easter Bunny but likely will not be lethal.

Hmmm, reminds me of my days in the army so many, many years ago. We had rabbit more than once in the messhall. It tasted like chicken, seriously. I wonder what the Easter Bunny tastes like? Or is he just furry on the outside and milk-chocolate on the inside?

Kmt, my buddy, my pal, who here is self-righteous and obstinate...? :shock: :lol:

Anyway....bunnies taste like chicken?!?!? O_O;;; Sorry, but I had a pet rabbit for nine years--until he died of as stroke in my very arms at the vet's office--and I've been scarred for life!! anytime I hear of someone eating rabiits, I tend to cry a little for my lost bunny. Call me an animal rights activist or humanitarian if you wish, but that's how I feel!! :cry: :wink:

And personally, I think the Easter Bunny is indeed filled with chocolate!! By the way...you were in the ARMY?!?!? O_O;;; WOW....that's awesome...except I'd never be in that...I'm afraid to die, and am very squeemish, and I CANNOT stand to see people die...I've seen too much of that here in Florida, but I don't want to talk about it.

Again, this topic is drifting....hmmm....I don't know how to get back on track....help me, someone!! :cry: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:48 pm 
Prince/Princess

Don't worry, tutness, I haven't had bunny for dinner since I was in the army, and that was more than 20 years ago. I have no desire to eat rabbit--they're so cute!--but when you're in the service, you eat what they give you or you go hungry. I was a combat medic, by the way...and I consider myself very fortunate that I never saw any actual combat. But I was an EMT with the ambulence for a while, and I saw more than enough blood there.

Enough of that.

I like Merytre-Hatshepsut's suggestion that the mummy identified as Amunhotep III may stand a chance as Akhenaten. The truth is, there is still a good deal of contention over this mummy and some believe it is not Amunhotep III. That might redefine what we know about this great pharaoh, then, because these human remains reveal a man who was obese and quite unhealthy. It might also, then, redefine the possibility of Amunhotep III's being fit and healthy enough do have fathered Tut, depending on how you view the co-regency debate.

Interesting post, Merytre-Hatshepsut.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:16 pm 
Prince/Princess

Sesh wrote:
Interesting post, Merytre-Hatshepsut.

Thanks dear :wink:

The mummy is quite interesting. It seem quite unique in the use of embalming techniques. I could believe some other methods being tried on Akhenaten (given his beliefs) more so than new methods of Amenhotep III. Then again who knows, the mummy could date from a different period alltogether.

If this were to be Akhenaten (and I'm not saying it is - there's just not enought evidence to support that thoery wholeheartedly) then Akhenaten would be a little older at the time of his death than though before.

The fact that the shrouds seem to show the names of Amenhotep III would indicate that in all likely hood he was in the cache. So which mummy would then be Amenhotep III?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:04 am 
Prince/Princess

Interesting, Merytre-Hatshepsut... I think it can be Akhenaten. It says: "Its had has broken off, the back had been broken, and the entire front wall of the body was missing". Well, I was thinking about how did Amenhotep III die, but I had to realize that there was no murder at all. Or maybe only I don't know... :Đ :roll: Anyway I heard somewhere that Akhenaten murdered himself... that info should pass his story. So tragic - his changes failed, everyone is against him... Like Hitler (OK, that was a bad joke - just think I didn't write it down...) But his neck? May he used a rope like Judas? (It's going to be weirder and weirder - first Hitler, than Judas... :roll: ) I don't think that so. If he murdered himself, he should use poison. But anyway, I never belived that theory that Akhenaten murdered himself. What do you think, guys?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:32 pm 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
But anyway, I never belived that theory that Akhenaten murdered himself. What do you think, guys?

You left out Stalin, Ghengus Khan, and Darth Vader, but I think we get the idea. And actually referencing Hitler and Judas is not all that extreme. Certainly many of his people must have viewed him as tyrannical and oppressive (i.e., Hitler), and certainly by closing the powerful temples and slashing the old ways he must have been seen as the ultimate betrayer (i.e., Judas).

That being said, I really don't see Akhenaten commiting suicide. I don't know of any evidence suggesting power struggles or the weakening of the throne until after he died, and for certain Akhenaten nurtured a very healthy and robust ego; megalomaniacs tend to regard themselves as too important to take their own lives. Well, okay, Hitler did, but that was with the Russians at his doorstep and his Reich in ruins.

I don't believe there's any evidence suggesting anything other than a natural death for the heretic king. After that is when the problems really started to develop for the royalty of Akhetaten. :o

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:56 pm 
Prince/Princess

Yeah, kmt_sesh, I agree with you - at the last years, a lot of people hated him and his new religion, and some of his mates was really angry with him - but I think too his life was too important to Akhenaten. He thought he and his family were the one-and-only connection between Egyptians and Aten and he'd never give up his conception. 35-37 years isn't the correct time to die now, but in an Egyptian's eye, he was getting old. A lot of Egyptians died when they were about 40, so Akhenaten could die with natural death. But there can be some more dramatic reasons behind his death - maybe, somebody murdered him. (I always prefered the 'natural death' idea in this case, but that could happen, too. Expecially in a pretentious book....)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:13 pm 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
He thought he and his family were the one-and-only connection between Egyptians and Aten and he'd never give up his conception...But there can be some more dramatic reasons behind his death - maybe, somebody murdered him.

Akhenaten thought of himself especially as the divine emissary or representative of the Aten, the only one worthy enough to be this sacred channel between man and god, and so his religion was pretty much doomed to fail from the start. When he died, Atenism was fated to die with him. He did not involve nearly enough of his nation in Atenism, which was how it was done in the old ways, and that's why the old ways were so quick to return--Egyptian polytheism required a large and complex infrastructure to maintain, and it was already there and ready to eclipse Atenism.

But as for a more "dramatic" means behind the death of Akhenaten, if any single pharaoh would have been a suitable target for assassination, it would certainly have been he. Imagine how hated Akhenaten must have been in his own time, and we know his contemporaries referred to him as "the traitor," so I personally wouldn't find it surprising if he had been murdered. Still, at this time there is simply no evidence to suggest anything but a natural death. Maybe something will arise in future excavations or research to reveal other possibilities. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:44 pm 
Pharaoh

kmt_sesh wrote:
You left out Stalin, Ghengus Khan, and Darth Vader, but I think we get the idea.

Go, Vader!! :D :lol:

I can see it now...Akhenaten with Darth's outfit on, and he has a death star in Egypt, shaped like the Aten symbol. :wink:

As for the mummy theory....ehhh....no comment, really, except that it was heavily rumored/thoerized that Akhenaten's mummy was burned after he died, and I do believe he was murdered/assassinated....a king, changing a religion that was based on 2,000 years (at the time) of strong belief--geez, I HOPE that I'm wording this correctly--would rather stirr up some conflict among the citizens, and especially the priests, who were out of a job ( The Amun priests, I mean). In my own personal opinion, the priests of Amun basically done in the heretic pharaoh, and Tut came to the throne, trying to fix an angered and very cranky Egypt, and I DO feel sorry for the boy....I STILL think he was Akhenaten's son!!! :x :lol: :wink:

Anyways, Kmt, I agree with you--we need more evidence to clear up this air of mystery.

Oh, Lostris, I drew Akhenaten dancing in the desert!!! I'll scan it up here soon!! I said I was gonna draw it, and I DID!!! 8) :lol: :wink:

And I DO wish they did have more evidence on Amenhotep III's mummy, but alas, nothing yet!! :cry: Though...Amenhotep III's mummy was short in stature, correct? Akhenaten is usually portrayed as being really tall, with a big stomach, drooping jaw, thick lips, etc. And I've seen Amenhotep III's mummy, and I saw NONE of those characteristics. He's also one of the few examples that pharaoh's were not indeed perfect...well, some, anyway...please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:58 am 
Prince/Princess

I think Akhenaten is as same as Tiye for the first look. If we look at the queen's statues' face, and then Amenhotep III's we can say only Akhenaten's eyes are the sames as his father. And in that case: I think not a royal family member did it, if it was really a murder. The next ruler after Akhenaten was Tutankhamen, and when Tut started his rule, he was about 8, so it would be weird if he killed his dad. I think not Ay neither Horemheb did it, because they could do it during king Tut's rule, but that child ruled Egypt for 9-10 years. If Ay and Horemheb really wanted to kill him, they could to it more quicklier. And, Tut died with an accident, not a murder, as I heard. Yes they'd have a reason - both Ay and Horemheb. But when pharaoh Ay died, he was a really old man so I prefer the natural death in that case, too. But you know the story of that Hittite prince who died on the way to Ankhesenamen - maybe Ay's or Horemheb's slaves killed him? Are they murderers?.... Interesting. But that's another topic, as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next