All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 

Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:35 pm 
Pharaoh
Offline

Joined:Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:49 pm
Posts:914
Location: Long Beach, CA
It may have been just an old photo, Psus. When I went to the BM, back in 1990, the Rosetta was not in a case. Hard to believe, but it was completely accessible to the public--just sitting on a pedestal at the entrace to the Egyptian Collection. This was before it was cleaned, and it looked as if it were basalt.
I was wondering, too, just what the "truth" was about the decipherment of the stone. Bel?


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:59 pm 
Pharaoh
Offline

Joined:Sun May 25, 2003 8:15 am
Posts:501
I like this version:
http://alsaadawi.exeedia.com/notes_disp ... otes_id=18
and of coarse this site because of my study of religion as a whole from the beginning of time:
http://www.crcsite.org/egypt.htm
Where did you get the arab translation????


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:31 am 
Pharaoh
Offline

Joined:Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:00 am
Posts:912
Location: England
Grr. I hate that Alsaadawi person. He just looks as the pictures and then claims to know what they mean. When I look at the hieroglyphs I laugh at his translations of the Rosetta stone, because not only do they not fit at all with the Ancient Greek, and secondly because the actual Egyptian makes so much more sense!


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:20 pm 
Pharaoh
Offline

Joined:Sun May 25, 2003 8:15 am
Posts:501
Back on topic,
I still don't think the Rosetta stone was discovered 1,000 yr's. before previously thought; it is the instrument to which we look for in heiroglyph's.
Hieroglyphics And Rosetta Stone
peace out! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:05 pm 
Pharaoh
Offline

Joined:Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:49 pm
Posts:914
Location: Long Beach, CA
bel, the original article didn't say that the Rosetta Stone had been found 1000 years ago, but just that the Heiroglyphs had been translated a thousand years before Champollion used the Rosetta Stone in his decipherment. The work done by Arab scholars has been long ignored, qiuite often because of the difficulting in reading Arabic.


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:37 pm 
Pharaoh
Offline

Joined:Sun May 25, 2003 8:15 am
Posts:501
Osiris II wrote:
bel, the original article didn't say that the Rosetta Stone had been found 1000 years ago, but just that the Heiroglyphs had been translated a thousand years before Champollion used the Rosetta Stone in his decipherment. The work done by Arab scholars has been long ignored, qiuite often because of the difficulting in reading Arabic.

Thank's for straightening me out; but as I understand it heiroglyph's are still not completely understood ... am I wrong here also?


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:25 pm 
Prince/Princess
Offline

Joined:Fri May 13, 2005 10:15 pm
Posts:350
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Thank's for straightening me out; but as I understand it heiroglyph's are still not completely understood ... am I wrong here also?


I hope it's okay if I jump in here. Hieroglyphs are one of my favorite areas of Egyptology. And you're right, we still don't have a complete command of the hieroglyphic language. Now most experienced Egyptologists can go up to most inscriptions and read them off, but sometimes we're using conjecture when we're puzzling through the grammar and syntax of this stuff. We use the grammatical rules of modern languages to help us understand the structures of ancient Egyptian, and it isn't always a precise fit. But it's incredible how far we've come in just the last 100 years. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:24 pm 
Pharaoh
Offline

Joined:Sun May 25, 2003 8:15 am
Posts:501
kmt_sesh wrote:
Quote:
Thank's for straightening me out; but as I understand it heiroglyph's are still not completely understood ... am I wrong here also?


I hope it's okay if I jump in here. Hieroglyphs are one of my favorite areas of Egyptology. And you're right, we still don't have a complete command of the hieroglyphic language. Now most experienced Egyptologists can go up to most inscriptions and read them off, but sometimes we're using conjecture when we're puzzling through the grammar and syntax of this stuff. We use the grammatical rules of modern languages to help us understand the structures of ancient Egyptian, and it isn't always a precise fit. But it's incredible how far we've come in just the last 100 years. :wink:


Thank's for jumping in! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:12 pm 
Prince/Princess
Offline

Joined:Fri May 13, 2005 10:15 pm
Posts:350
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Thank's for jumping in!


You're most welcome. You'll find me jumping in all over the place. I can't contain myself. I just have to be careful so I don't land myself feet-first in a big pile of steamnig doo-doo. :D


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:11 pm 
Prince/Princess
Offline

Joined:Wed May 04, 2005 3:48 pm
Posts:210
Location: USA
Mr.Sesh wrote:
I just have to be careful so I don't land myself feet-first in a big pile of steaming doo-doo.


:D Still better than landing head-first :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:05 pm 
Prince/Princess
Offline

Joined:Fri May 13, 2005 10:15 pm
Posts:350
Location: Chicago, IL
Merytre-Hatshepsut
Quote:
Still better than landing head-first


Oh, goodness, I hadn't even considered that. :shock: So true!

Psusennes I wrote:
Quote:
Grr. I hate that Alsaadawi person. He just looks as the pictures and then claims to know what they mean.


I was reading back through the posts and decided to check out this Aslaadawi's web page because I didn't know anything about him. So I clicked, read, had to go back and reread a few things he wrote, and can come to only one conclusion.

In my opinion, this Aslaadawi is a jackass.


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:52 pm 
Pharaoh
Offline

Joined:Sun May 25, 2003 8:15 am
Posts:501
kmt_sesh wrote:
Merytre-Hatshepsut
Quote:
Still better than landing head-first


Oh, goodness, I hadn't even considered that. :shock: So true!

Psusennes I wrote:
Quote:
Grr. I hate that Alsaadawi person. He just looks as the pictures and then claims to know what they mean.


I was reading back through the posts and decided to check out this Aslaadawi's web page because I didn't know anything about him. So I clicked, read, had to go back and reread a few things he wrote, and can come to only one conclusion.

In my opinion, this Aslaadawi is a jackass.


Yes, of coarse, it all boil's down to matter's of opinion. Good job for paying attention!


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


  Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Style by web designer custom , optymalizacja seo pozycjonowanie stron pozycjonowanie
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group