All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

need a little help
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:11 am 
Servant

hey, I'm supposed to write an oral report on either Nefertiti or Hatshepsut. Which one would be better? I've done a lot of research, but it's all the same info. Anybody know of some good resources?
thnx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:23 pm 
Egyptian Architect

I would give a slight edge to Hatshepsut...there is an excellent biography by Joyce Tyldesley called "Hatchepsut, the Female Pharaoh" in addition to numerous online sources (do a Google search under the name, also try "Egyptology Online"). If you decide to go with Nefertiti, start with the Akhenaten biographies by Cyril Aldred and Dr. Donald Redford.

Best wishes,

Niankhkhnum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:32 pm 
Pharaoh

Niankhkhnum & egyptiangenius,

Joyce Tyldesley also wrote a book on Nefertiti titled "Nefertiti: Egypt's Sun Queen". Although I often reference Cyril Aldred's "Akhenaten:King of Egypt", it may be a tad bit much for a newcomer to the subject.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:15 am 
Pharaoh

Well about Hatshepsut there is the book written by Christiane Desroches-Noblecourt, who was the directrice of the Egyptian section of Louvre museum. I know both books ( the one of Desroches-noblecourt and that of Tyldesley) , and I must say that Noblecourt is more specific and less romance than the other one. There is only one probable fault of interpretation made by her about the location of Punt and what Punt was. But Tyidesley doesn't even treat the subject with scientific attitude.
The position of prof Desroches-Noblecourt and her great experiences give her the chance to propose interpretations of the period of Queen Hatshepsut and Tothmes III which slightly differs from those accepted until now, and which are now being taken under great consideration, due also to the new discoveries.

After my words, you'll probably choose to treat Nefertiti, I guess!! :lol:

If you need help with Hatshepsut, just ask and we all will see what we can do! :wink:

I forgot to tell you the title, "the misterious queen", by Christiane Desroches-Noblecourt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:09 am 
Pharaoh

Punt, Punt.... it's familiar... Oh! Isn't that the thing on papyrus with the fat nobles going directly to the land to put plants in boats for trade? I'm only familiar with the papyri, not the story behind it. ..Sorry, try to ignore me! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:50 am 
Prince/Princess

I don't know Tyidesley's book, but I read the one of Desroches-Noblecourt and I liked it too much!!! :wink: (from this book I took my nickname!!) I agree with maatkara concerning the author's precision in the narration of the facts!! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:54 am 
Pharaoh

Unas! It was not a papirii!!!
these are reliefs at Jeser-Jeserw!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:08 pm 
Pharaoh

Hmm... my sources tell my papyri.. You're probably right though - my source is some random nutjob's website. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:11 pm 
Pharaoh

it's not a papiri, it's relief! :lol:

ya'll are awesome
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:21 pm 
Servant

Wow, you guys are fast, thanks so much! I think I probably will go with Hatshepsut; there's a lot more info on her than Nefertiti. She's also more interesting :lol: I have googled her and found some okay info, probably enough to write a high school oral report, which is what I'm doing. It's actually a whole project, I'm supposed to present this at an "Egyptian night" . I'm also supposed to cook authentic food, make costumes, the whole shebang, so any info you have on food or costume would be great! Ya'll are great! sorry i talked(wrote, whatever) your heads off. :roll: thnx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:38 pm 
Pharaoh

good boy! the perfect choice! :lol:

...as it's ME!! :lol:

whatever you may need, just ask! surely someone here will be glad to help you out! :wink:

ciao and good luck! :wink:

Egyptian attire
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:33 pm 
Servant

thanks, do you know of any good costume ideas? I'm a girl, so I need some help on a sheath(is that the correct term?), I have some sheer pleated(sort of) linen I got at wally world. I also have instructions on how to wrap and tie it, but it always comes out kind of weird. :? Can I get some help? I also have to make costumes for my family, so I need info on the kilts/loincloth thing, as well. I appreciate it! ><)))'>

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:50 pm 
Pharaoh

uhm...I really have no idea....is there anybody who can give some advice about that?.....I made a costume my self, I've been using little coloured pearls to make the collar and dress up the hair...I'll try to make a picture to show you, but it was a very long work....
I'll tell you tomorrow whenI'll find the pics! :wink:

Is that the only thing you may need? the costumes? :roll:
ciao!
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:54 am 
Egyptian Architect

If you want to see a good documentary by Discover Channel
Go to http://www.queen-nefertiti.com/stream.html

Women Pharaohs are now on the air
You need Windows Media Player to watch the show.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:34 am 
Pharaoh

Claude....? Is that a shameless advertisement I see?

Anyhoo, you mentioned food. Here is a topic describing the foods they had. Their diet consisted of well, I'll let you read. It'll save me from robbing you of a mind. :wink: