All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

What would you be?
Total votes : 0

Royalty
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:52 am 
Pharaoh

Were also high priestess and/or priest. They did not perform ritual's on the deceased. Besides if you were of royalty you would be learned in many area's, not just one.
Besides the original question was asked as to whether you would like to be a high priestess &/or priest or an embalmer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:44 pm 
Prince/Princess

That or I'd be a scribe. Though I stink at math. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:12 pm 
Egyptian Architect

I would be a scribe because I am fascinated with egypt, not to mention how fascinated i am with hieroglyphs, and i like to write, but most importantly i prolly wouldnt care what i was cause living there would be enough for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:36 am 
Prince/Princess

Just wondering... could females be scribes? I know royal and upper-class wome could read and write, but could it be a profession for a simple working-class girl like I am now?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:41 pm 
Prince/Princess

No, not normal, middle-class women. =P

Women were considered God's i.e. Hatshepsut
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:56 pm 
Pharaoh

Unlike the position of women in most other ancient civilizations, including that of Greece, the Egyptian woman seems to have enjoyed the same legal and economic rights as the Egyptian man - at least in theory. This notion is reflected in Egyptian art and historical inscriptions.

It is uncertain why these rights existed for the woman in Egypt but no where else in the ancient world. It may well be that such rights were ultimately related to the theoretical role of the king in Egyptian society. If the pharaoh was the personification of Egypt, and he represented the corporate personality of the Egyptian state, then men and women might not have been seen in their familiar relationships, but rather, only in regard to this royal center of society.

Since Egyptian national identity would have derived from all people sharing a common relationship with the king, then in this relationship, which all men and women shared equally, they were--in a sense--equal to each other. This is not to say that Egypt was an egalitarian society. It was not. Legal distinctions in Egypt were apparently based much more upon differences in the social classes, rather than differences in gender. Rights and privileges were not uniform from one class to another, but within the given classes, it seems that equal economic and legal rights were, for the most part, accorded to both men and women.

Most of the textual and archaeological evidence for the role of women that survives from prior to the New Kingdom pertains to the elite, not the common folk. At this time, it is the elite, for the most part, who leave written records or who can afford tombs that contain such records. However, from the New Kingdom onward, and certainly by the Ptolemaic Period, such evidence pertains more and more to the non-elite, i.e., to women of the middle and lower classes. Actually, the bulk of the evidence for the economic freedom of Egyptian women derives from the Ptolemaic Period.
WOMEN CAN DO ANYTHING; EVEN RULE!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:36 am 
Servant

I would be an artisan, or I could also settle with a scribe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:57 pm 
Egyptian Architect

I'd probably be a priestess...to Het-her (Hathor) maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:04 am 
Servant

Royal Embalmer...which what I'm in school for..Mortuary Sciences!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:18 am 
Pharaoh

If I could have my choice, I'd be a scribe.. maybe a priest, as they did some of the royal inscriptions...

However, seeing as I know I would screw up somewhere along the lines, I'd probably end up a gulch. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:24 am 
Pharaoh

Am I the only one who would like to be a courtier / noble. I would like to have the power and responsibility, but also the luxury, and the authority to go to places like the Temples. Perhaps a Vizier, or a Royal Prince. I'd have a huge villa, immense gardens and lots of servants! YAY, and I would probably do turns as a priest as well from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:42 pm 
Servant

Nothing wrong with that...I'm named after a Queen...been told about that all my life, so I tend to go the other way. Away from the noble/royal aspect.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:09 am 
Servant

I dunno. Im not arty, wouldnt like writing all day for others, although, you would get all the town gossip writing ppls letters for them and reading them :roll: not a preitess, or embalmer. Maybe I can be the body you embalm. lol
But according to my logon name I am a servant 8)
lol oh well, what can u do?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:49 pm 
Egyptian Architect

Being a Vizier or Nomarch....of a good-sized Nome with a nice big town in it. Or maybe... :shock: a Priest of Min!!! :wink: :wink: (nudge, nudge)

Niankhkhnum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:18 pm 
ha i would be a tomb robber!!! :D