All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Rameses WAS the Pharaoh of the Exodus
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:35 am 
Servant

According to research by Dr Kent Weeks it looks fairly certain that Rameses was the Pharaoh of the Exodus. Here is the site regarding his documentary for Discovery Channel which asserts this.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/ra ... meses.html

So if this is the case who was the Pharaoh whose Court Moses grew up in?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:52 am 
Pharaoh

After extensive research into the site listed, I failed to find any mention of Moses.
The question of the Exodus in general, and Moses in particular, is, at this time, a matter of personal belief. There is no reference to a mass migration of Hebrew people from Egypt. There is no mention of a spiritual leader named Moses--in fact, the name "Moses" is not an acceptable form of an Egyptian name. In all of the inscriptions and carvings in the walls of various monuments, only one reference to Israel has been found, and this is a reference to them being conquered and "their seed scattered". Surely if this event (the Exodus) had occured in such a great number, it would have been recorded by the Egyptians.
The "Wraith of God" program on Discovery has no actual bearing on the truth. Kent Weeks was not reciting a known truth, but merely making a personal theory of his known. There is no proof as of this time that Rameses first-born was even buried in KV5.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:07 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

Let's just say that there wasn't an Exodus, no Moses, no Hebrews escaping from Egypt and we can stop talking about this subject.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:54 pm 
Servant

Ramsekh wrote:
Let's just say that there wasn't an Exodus, no Moses, no Hebrews escaping from Egypt and we can stop talking about this subject.
Have you seen the Documentary? If not it's now available on DVD. Well worth watching.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:59 pm 
Pharaoh

It does seem like a waste of time to debate something with no evidence! If there was a bit of evidence to show that the Exodus happened then I would debate this a bit more but until then I am going to concentrate my efforts on researching books that are slightly more factual than the Bible, so that is why I am off to discover Hogwarts! lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:06 pm 
Servant

Si-amun wrote:
It does seem like a waste of time to debate something with no evidence! If there was a bit of evidence to show that the Exodus happened then I would debate this a bit more but until then I am going to concentrate my efforts on researching books that are slightly more factual than the Bible, so that is why I am off to discover Hogwarts! lol
That's why you should check the Documentary out. Apart from the American Egyptologist, all the other experts on it were from British Universities - Oxford, London, Liverpool and Manchester. All seemed to be happy with the evidence found.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:42 pm 
Pharaoh

Such as?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:38 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

I did watch that stupid program. It's not worth watching. It was a huge timewaster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:06 am 
Servant

For those interested (and I would recommend it) it will be shown in the UK on April 1st on Discovery Channel.

http://www.atlanticproductions.co.uk/landmarkprog.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:38 am 
Pharaoh

I beg to differ with you, stuartfanning. "Wraith of God" was a flop. Even Kent Weeks said that the program was laughable--that the only statements made with any merit were his own--and he did not say that he was positive that the skull he mentioned was Rameses' first-born son, only that it was possible. Even if that is accepted, that it is the first-born, there is absolutely no evidence of how he died. Any other authority on the program Weeks dismissed, saying that he did not cite the person speaking as in error, but that the comments made were distorted and taken out of context by Discovery, to make the program more "shocking" to the public.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:28 pm 
Servant

Osiris II wrote:
I beg to differ with you, stuartfanning. "Wraith of God" was a flop. Even Kent Weeks said that the program was laughable--that the only statements made with any merit were his own--and he did not say that he was positive that the skull he mentioned was Rameses' first-born son, only that it was possible. Even if that is accepted, that it is the first-born, there is absolutely no evidence of how he died. Any other authority on the program Weeks dismissed, saying that he did not cite the person speaking as in error, but that the comments made were distorted and taken out of context by Discovery, to make the program more "shocking" to the public.
Weeks did suggest in strong terms that the Skull was that of Rameses' first born son. I have just watched the program so can confirm this. If he is now back-tracking then that would suggest he was taking Discovery for a ride, possibly for the money he received from them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:15 pm 
Egyptian Architect

With all due respect to you and to the conclusions you have reached regarding the "Pharaoh of the Exodus", stuartfanning, I would like to state for the record that Kent Weeks would be the LAST person likely to take "The Discovery Channel" or anyone else "for a ride." He could hardly be held responsible if Spin Doctors at "Discovey" chose to take any of his remarks regarding the skull found in KV5 out of context for the purpose of garnering viewers. Further, Dr. Weeks is one of the best-loved and most respected Egyptologists working in the field today, and I know him to be a man of the highest personal integrity.
I will not have him or his reputation spoken lightly of in this forum.

Respectfully yours,

Nathan B. Davis
a.k.a. Niankhkhnum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:17 am 
Servant

Niankhkhnum wrote:
With all due respect to you and to the conclusions you have reached regarding the "Pharaoh of the Exodus", stuartfanning, I would like to state for the record that Kent Weeks would be the LAST person likely to take "The Discovery Channel" or anyone else "for a ride." He could hardly be held responsible if Spin Doctors at "Discovey" chose to take any of his remarks regarding the skull found in KV5 out of context for the purpose of garnering viewers. Further, Dr. Weeks is one of the best-loved and most respected Egyptologists working in the field today, and I know him to be a man of the highest personal integrity.
I will not have him or his reputation spoken lightly of in this forum.

Respectfully yours,

Nathan B. Davis
a.k.a. Niankhkhnum
The earlier suggestion was that he found the Discovery program laughable. Well the DVD of it was released in the States earlier this week with no complaints from Prof Weeks. I suggest he was happy with the program and that he shared its conclusions.