All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:09 pm 
Pharaoh

I dont know but I will have a look for you. The problem is this competition doesn't have an age range as it is solely for A-level students. Ummm, that is a good idea for an essay but I know nothing about that period (even thoguh I did kinda steal my name from it! lol). I am only really aiming to do an essay focused on the 18th Dynasty or perhaps the last Ptolemies. Hmmm, I spoke to my teacher about some ideas and he suggested writing down a list of things I was interested in researching and studying then finding an essay out of it. I am gonna write it here so I have it recorded and also you can all look and see if anything comes out of it all!

Things I would be intereasted in researching and writing about:

Role of the Queen
Goddesses / Religion
Tiy
Isis
Mythology
Amarna
Hatchepsut
Nefertiti

The area I would like to do work on is the Religion one, perhaps specifically around Isis and her cult, wehat it meant and its relationship to the Queen perhaps. It is important that I have an argument somewhere in the essay and it is not just a factual piece, it needs to argue a point e.g. Amenhotep IV ruled alongside Amenhotep III for 8 years (an example - not a solid fact!).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:35 pm 
Pharaoh

- The only thing that comes up to my mind reading your list is that you can make another list of the differences of stability of reigns, comparing the Hatshepsut one and the Amarna period...
-I think that the "mithology" is to vaste to be considered among the rest...there are really too many things to say...
-If you wish to consider the argument of Goddess, then you definitly cannot forget about Hathor...Neith....I have a very good book about deities, if you may need materials about that, just ask...
-Instead, considering the queens, I would add Ahmose-Nefertari and MerytAmon-Hatshepsut: two very different characters...and yes, about Tiye, who played a very important role, too.
-beware about one imortant thing: if you consider the divine birth of Hatshepsut, then you have to be able to explain why did she have to do that and also that the Pharaoh him-self had to be considered divine and according to which reasons, so you'll have to climb up to the ancient times, when all these different reasons started .
...but you are a Pharaoh, your-self, so I think you can do that! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:43 pm 
Pharaoh

That is a very good point. I only said Isis because as a Goddess she interests me immensely, I would of course have to mention Hathor and to a certain extent Neith. Oooooooh, I could almost do an essay on comparisons between the three Godesses and the Queens role as their incarnation (Perhaps mother and wife of Pharaoh symbollically). hmmmmmmmm, I shall ponder further!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:58 pm 
Pharaoh

Don't rush!..put down all your points and carefully consider them only once you'll have them all under you nose.... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:16 pm 
Pharaoh

You are right, I am just really eager to get stuck in! lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:03 pm 
Pharaoh

You want to be able to compare and consider- not just state the facts. It is much better to ask 'why' rather than 'how'. That's my advice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:08 pm 
Pharaoh

I was thinking about doing the whole statement thing...

e.g.

"Full Employment was Hitlers sole gift to the masses"

Discuss the statement, and whether you agree with what it says or not.

Now at first it seems quite easy but you have to weigh up a lot of evidence and it turns out quite difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:15 pm 
Pharaoh

"Full Employment was Hitlers sole gift to the masses"

I wouldn't say that was an easy essay title. He provided Nazi Germany with morale unlike that of any other country, and gave the disillusioned people of Greater Germany a Volk to which they could belong- which was exactly what most of them craved after the humiliation of the Weimar Republic. A much harder topic is the question of quality of life- did the quality of life improve under the Nazis? It is a tough one to answer. But anyway, that's irrelevant. With Holocaust memorial day and all I have been bombarded with essays to write on the same topic. Pretty harrowing. Some of my great-grandparents died at Auschwitz. . .but anyway, I'm babbling now.

Back on topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:49 pm 
Pharaoh

Psus, I think that more or less everybody can tell about bad experiences happened in their own families by that time...mine has too...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:16 pm 
Pharaoh

Well, none of my family were killed duing the holocaust but my family were nearly wiped out during the Blitz. That is why there are so few people with my surname, and anyone who does have it is quite closely realted to me (through perhaps my grandfather). Holocaust rememberance day was quite harrowing, I will give you that. it was awful. I know a lot about the holocaust already so I think I gelt it a lot more than my classmates because I knew the facts as well as the stories.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:50 am 
Pharaoh

Si-amun,
If you are going to write about the Queen's role in the 18th dynasty you must include the all important Ahmose-Nefertari.

link 1
link 2

Last edited by Neb-Ma'at-Re on Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:10 am 
Pharaoh

wow, the first two are nice sites, but the third I think there is something wrong, 'cause it talks about Nefertari, of Ramess II...

Ahmose Nefertari, she was the great grand ma of Hatshepsut...

As I already post two days ago, she's one of my favourite and doubtless one of the most strong and important queens of all... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:16 am 
Pharaoh

Third? I don't see a third. Are you seeing things Oh Foremost of Noble Women?

Just kidding, I removed the link. besides it took damn long to load up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:00 am 
Pharaoh

:shock: you should know that if the "Foremost.." see something, this must be TRUE! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:43 pm 
Pharaoh

Thanks for those links, they are really good. I knew nothing about Ahmose Nefertari until about 15 minutes ago! lol