All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:46 am 
Gods/Goddesses

Why would you believe in past lives in ancient Egypt when the ancient Egyptians didn't believe in it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:20 am 
Pharaoh

Because you aren't an ancient egyptian yourself. Do you think that people retain beliefs and religions from life to life?

For real you guy's
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:20 am 
Pharaoh

Your spirit has nothing to do with whether or not you were ever Egyptian. Although had you been your soul would retain that memory as part of the learning process. It's all a matter of unfoldment.
I don't profess this so you guy's can make joke's about it. I make the statement because it is part of my truth and because of this truth I have recall of alot of thing's that happened then.
What really surprise's me is that we are still looking to kill the proverbial witch labeling made by the Christian Faith (Catholicism). Not discing anybody's religion here, just fact. No alot has changed in all these year's.
People are still willing to follow the status quo and believe what they are taught not what they seek to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:09 pm 
Pharaoh

I can't resist jumping back in here. The two major religions that feature reincarnation as part of their belief (i.e Hinduism and Buddhism) actually believe exactly the opposite to what Bel argues. The concept of samsara (that is the cycle of birth and rebirth) states that whilst memory and knowledge is lost when you are reborn, religious strengths and beliefs are not. That is to say that when a good Hindu dies, he or she will be reborn as an equally good Hindu, who can progress to the next level of enlightenment. Vice-verca, if a non-Hindu dies, it is most unlikely that he or she will be reborn as a Hindu master nearing enlightenment. The process works entirely on which religion you followed in the previous life, and you keep being reborn until you follow the correct religion. Buddhism is almost identical, except you can 'lose' (i.e reach an equivalent of hell), whereas in Hinduism you can only 'lose' if the trilogy of gods passes a full cycle and the next incarnation of Vishnu (Kalki) arrives at the end of the world. After this the Earth itself is re created, and whether atmans (plural? I don't speak sanskrit!?) last over the recreation of the world I don't know.

Linking to an obscure site by an unqualified Japanese scholar will not lead me to believe that reincarnation is true. To be quite honest, the idea of living forever makes me feel sick, as does the idea of not existing at all. To be quite honest I haven't decided whether I even hope that exists. Either way it seems that I lose. Either I live forever (in punishment, or in so-called eternal bliss) or I don't exist at all. Both seem like fairly grim prospects. In my opinion, up until the moment where truth is revealed to us (in other words- when you die) we can believe whatever we chose. Provided it makes us happy, and religion clearly makes lots of people happy. Believing that you are superman might make you happy, or believing that you are Hatshepsut.

Believing something however does not make it true though.

All knowing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:21 am 
Pharaoh

Since you believe you know all; than care to share the christian faith w/us.
I did not say that I was any one religion, so why are you making reference to a chosen one for me? Because you wish to discredit my own truth's in the face of this forum and the board? Your word's change nothing and to say that Whistler's mother because it is in black and white and did not find a place of honor as it restful place; it is never the less famous. Whistler got more atttention for his work's, after his lifetime than during. And yes, if could be considered subconscious transfer ..... but this was only my unfoldment of my new beginning. It does not have anything to do w/Hatshepsut reincarnate!!!

Re: All knowing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:39 am 
Pharaoh

bel wrote:
Your word's change nothing and to say that Whistler's mother becase it is in black and white and did not find a place of honor as it restful place

The portrait of to which you refer, by James Abbot McNeill Whistler was always reffered to as the "Arrangement in Grey and Black" during his lifetime. That is the name of the painting. Only later was it ever referred to as "Whistler's Mother". The fact that it is famous only increases the chance of subconscious transfer. In my opinion it was not 'the fact that it was in black and white' that made critics hate it up until after Whistler's death. It was more likely its stark use of contrast and grim realism- paint and canvas rather than intentional realism. All of James Whistler's paintings have odd titles, like "Nocturne blue and Gold" and "A Little Note in Yellow" etc. These long and oblique titles proved useless, and even now the Whistler portraits in La Musee d'Orsay have the more well known titles as subtext.

Finally, I am not Christian. Full stop (or 'period' if you prefer).

research
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm 
Pharaoh

Psusennes I wrote:
The Shabaqo stone is now in the British Museum. When I first saw it I almost shouted in anger. I ran up to it and squinted frantically at the effaced wording to the centre (not the center!) and hoped that somehow I would be able to make it out- but I couldn't. It is just horrible to look at the upper right hand corner and read all of the names of Ptah- "Ptah-the-Perfect, at the head of the nine Gods, he who bore all that is here. . ." and then suddenly come to blank stone. As though the workmen who incised the text hadn't yet finished.

Right. Now I'd like to clear things up.
Ankhesenpa-aten, I did not intend to insult your religion at all, although your facetious signature led me to believe that you only show a passing interest in the religion. I apologise gravely and wholeheartedly- my post was intended only as a statement, and if you read it again I am sure you will realise that it contains no deliberately offensive material.

Secondly, Bel. I am now withdrawing from this topic, but before I do so I'd like to get a few things straight. Primarily I am not a Christian. My religious viewpoint is that of a reluctant agnostic, and so I see myself as in the perfect position to argue in both directions when it comes to religious debates. I would also like to say, quite openly, that I do not understand the bulk of your posts. This may be because I lack the neccessary spiritual capacity, but there is only one way to find out. In the next life- if there is one- our questions will be answered. If you sit as Osiris below your fathers and forefathers, described by the texts of old, then you can inflict judgement on me then. But not until then.

I humbly withdraw myself from this thread and pray that I have not offended any of you here.

You stated as in the above attest's that you were through w/this thread, so why are you still on it?
Also in reference in Whistler's work's of Whistler's Mother....if you research you will find that it was his father, "George Washington Whistle"r that was said to have done the first and original Whistler's mother not James McNeil. And his work is not totally a loss even though he was not well excepted in England. I believe there is a peacock room located within your country. And what is your point exactly about Whistler's art and titles being
useless (merely Subtext)?
It matter's not to me whether you are a Christian or not. I just wanted your vent on it since you have so much of one on other religion's i.e. Buddhism etc.
Again, all this aside why are you still viewing and posting on this topic if you wished to leave earlier? Is it merely to harrass something and/or someone you have made obviously clear you don't even believe in?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:10 pm 
Servant

Neith wrote:
I'm an atheist, I don't believe in any religion especially not in Christianity or Islam, but somehow re-incarnation makes sense to me. It's the only religious thing that says something to me. If I lived sometime in the past in Egypt, I don't know. If I did, then I had to be some lower priest in Karnak, maybe a scribe (just from the feeling I had in Karnak Temple). But it's said that little children of 9-10 years old dream of their past lives and I used to dream of Quebec City before seeing it. Yet it doesn't convince me that much...

i totally believe in reincarnation [although, i dont no how reliable i am, i also belive one day ill have the opportunity to shag george clooney, but n e way...] it makes sense. Your born. u live. you die. you go to heaaven. then ur born again. i mean, it amkes sense about karma too, what goes around [ex: your life] comes around [ex: you live again]
n e one making the same connection?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:15 pm 
Egyptian Architect

Quote:
i totally believe in reincarnation [although, i dont no how reliable i am, i also belive one day ill have the opportunity to shag george clooney, but n e way...] it makes sense. Your born. u live. you die. you go to heaaven. then ur born again. i mean, it amkes sense about karma too, what goes around [ex: your life] comes around [ex: you live again]
n e one making the same connection?

I am! Though, I'm kinda Buddhist so....i kinda have to be since it's my religion...lol!

BTW, this is out to everyone:

I don't mind the arguing about the existence of reincarnation, the belief in it, and whatnot, but can we at least try not to word things so...unsportingly? I mean, with some of you basically saying "Reincarnatin is stupid" you've insulted me and the entire Eastern Hemishpere.

Seriously, so the Ancient Egyptians didn't believe in reincarnation, great. But that doesn't mean you couldn't have been Egyptian in a past life. Reincarnation is about karma. If you have karma in Egypt, then you'll end up being Egyptian. Some of you need to learn more about the belief before you start rambling about something you don't understand.

Thank you guy's
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:38 pm 
Pharaoh

For your kind support!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:44 pm 
Servant

thank you for that! well said, [to the person above "bel"] :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:28 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

Does anyone believe in both reincarnation AND heaven or hell?

it is possible
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:43 pm 
Pharaoh

for all to occur. Hell like heaven is what you make it. As is our free given will to make the choice's w/our live's. Working with matter as energy....i know that if energy is terminated tragically, suddenly ... it is a confusing state of chaos. Ever see that Movie What Dream's what Come?
I see this movie as part of a pitcure of explanation. We are the creator's of our own making. I say we are all born from perfect seed. But then I refuse to welcome evil upon this sanctuary. That does not mean it does not exist. We get caught up in what other people think of us therefore becoming confused in believing that what other people think is more important to us that what we think of ourselve's. Few of us honestly look at ourselve's. It seem's impossible to have relation's that are functional unless we look from the inside out; instead of the outside in.
Existence is free floating and there are no limitation's except our mind's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:55 pm 
Pharaoh

Bel, Sounds like you just put a whole bunch of words together that you found in the dictionary.

Cool!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:01 pm 
Pharaoh

Remind's me of Shrek and the layer's of an onion!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next