All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

The Truth about Fletcher...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:40 pm 
Egyptian Architect

Hey, this is a bit late, but check out this website...

http://www.archaeology.org/online/revie ... index.html

It's about Fletcher's new book on the so called mummy of Nefertiti. Apparently, she didn't really come up with anything new, and actually stole some of the "information" from an earlier article on the whereabouts of Nefertiti's mummy.

Here's an excerpt.

Quote:
Perhaps nobody was more surprised to hear of Fletcher's supposed breakthrough identification than Marianne Luban. That's because back in 1999 Luban posted on the web an article titled "Do We Have the Mummy of Nefertiti?" In it, she presented her own arguments--many the same that Fletcher later used--that the Younger Woman was Nefertiti. Luban recalled for ARCHAEOLOGY her reaction on seeing a report of the identification: " I checked the webstats regarding the article that I have had online since 1999...and saw that there had already been an incredible 35,000 visits to this site.... Myself and a couple of others wrote letters of protest to the London Times, the publication that had done the series on Fletcher and her 'discovery' and were not only given short shrift but nasty emails in response. I also wrote to Discovery Communications, advising them that Fletcher had discovered nothing and that their upcoming documentary on Nefertiti, starring her [Fletcher], was based on a false premise. I heard nothing from them--and then decided to file a lawsuit against them. I asked for an injunction against Discovery Communications but the court denied that. So the documentary was shown and when I saw it and the negative response it engendered I concluded that no one who knew anything about the subject could take this film seriously. So I dropped the lawsuit." What is important to note is that Luban's identification of the Younger Woman as Nefertiti was no secret before, and certainly not after the documentary was broadcast. Her work was noted in the KMT reaction to Fletcher's identification and on at least one e-mail list devoted to Egyptology."The lawsuit against Discovery commenced last summer [2003] and I don't doubt she was advised of that and has also seen the many websites that now acknowledge the theory belongs to me a priori," says Luban. "But she continues to ignore all that and simply proceeds as though my contribution can be viewed as null--a stance that is contrary to all academic publishing guidelines and rules of conduct, where it is de rigueur that 'credit must be given where credit is due.'...Months ago I wrote to the legal department of Fletcher's American publishers warning them of all this--but also received no reply."
[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:01 pm 
Pharaoh

Here is a full copy of Marianne Luban's article. I used to be a member of an email group on the Amarna period, which Marrianne also belonged. I remember reading it a few years ago before Fletcher came out with her calims.

DO WE HAVE THE MUMMY OF NEFERTITI?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:17 am 
Pharaoh

I am slap bang in the middle of that book right now! Oh well, might as well finish it off now!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:42 pm 
Scribe

that's surprising

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:09 am 
Servant

:shock: :shock: :shock: