All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:04 am 
Gods/Goddesses

yeah, I do. Try reading the Losing Christina series. It's 3 books.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:03 am 
Pharaoh

I have read most of it, but to be honest I didn't read all the Roman myths. Read the stories about the House of Agamemnon. It is filled with fantastic characters and themes. The wrath of Achilles is also a good story if you are new to it all, but it shows him in a bit of a different light to the way the film did!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:20 am 
Prince/Princess

Kool thanks Dark_Meryetamun_28!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:24 am 
Prince/Princess

Si-amun wrote:
I have read most of it, but to be honest I didn't read all the Roman myths. Read the stories about the House of Agamemnon. It is filled with fantastic characters and themes. The wrath of Achilles is also a good story if you are new to it all, but it shows him in a bit of a different light to the way the film did!

Yes , The House of Agamemnon story is interesting. I have not read it out of the book yet , but we learned about it at school. The story of Achilles is wonderful also. I learned alot about the legends at school , but I plan on reading the book for more details on them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:34 pm 
Pharaoh

What are your views on Clythemnestra? I am in two minds. Part of me says she was an evil and manipulative woman, but the other part says that she was merely exacting revenge for the murder of her daughter. What are your views? I love Medea the most, the wife of Jason, she was an Independent Woman, wasn't she! lol. She murdered her brother, her husbands whole family then her own children and her husbands new wife. I wouldn't fancy meeting that one! lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:20 pm 
Prince/Princess

Well as for Clythemnestra , I feel that yes it was wrong of her to kill her husband. But , He had killed (Sacraficed) her daughter. But in the end she got punished for the murder of him , in a way. Her son murdered her. I feel just sorry for her , you know what I mean. I like Cassandra alot. And I love the story of Aros.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:28 pm 
Pharaoh

I love Cassandra, so tragically gifted. Foreseeing her own death and not being able to prevent it, the blessed and cursed daughter of a defeated Empire. I do like Clythemnestra though, I do feel she had a right to murder Agamemnon for sacrificing Iphigenia but not for murdering Cassandra. As for her son I cant believe that Athena took his side, matricide is the worst sort of murder. She had avenged his young sister Iphigenia and was killed herself for the act! Grrrrr. Sorry, I forgot for a second there that it was all just a story! lol. What are your views on Medea? I am strangely compelled to her with a sort of morbid fascination, she was just so strong and ruthless, the counterpart of how we normally percieve mythological women.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:22 pm 
Prince/Princess

Well , as for Medea killig her brother so her father would not be able to follow her since she scattered his body was cruel. She went with her husband Jason and then fell in love with Aegeus. Aegeus already had a girlfriend and Medea was jealous so she cursed Aegeus so he could not have a child. Aethra Aegeus girlfriend then came to Medea and asked for a child , so Medea gave her one by Theseus. When Jason did change his mind and fall in love with another Medea was mad and sent a cursed robe to his lover killing her. And this is where the story changes some say Medea killed her children , some that a king did since she had killed Jasons lover. Also the legend of her Mother and Father are also interesting. Well , I am not sure what I think of her. She was evil yet, in some cases she had a reason to. But by no means in all cases did she choose the right way to solve her problems.

Last edited by Ankhesenamun3 on Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:35 pm 
Pharaoh

Have you noticed how the evil characters are mainly women? The men are noble and heroic, but the women are cruel and evil. Grecian morals seem to be reversed from the rest of civilisations'. They condoned homosexuality whereas most civilisations until recently condemned it. They showed women as independent and powerful. Strange peoples, those Greeks. For their time they were way ahead of their time but also quite primitive in some respects.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:38 pm 
Prince/Princess

Yes, the were very different from the other cultures of their time. I like them though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:58 pm 
Pharaoh

I like their stories but I find their history a little, how can I put this. Pathetic. They spent centuries as small warring nations who regularly tried to destroy eachother (Sparta and Athens for example). Because of this there was nothing that endured as long as it did in Egypt, or Rome, or Babylon. The ancient Greeks were virtually tribal, just glazed witht he veneer of "culture", which I also quite disagree with. The Greeks were no more cultured than the Egyptians in my opinion, they merey had a culture widely accepted my our ancestors as it was more influencial in Western Europe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:04 pm 
Pharaoh

Ankhesenamun3 wrote:
Well , as for Medea killig her brother so her father would not be able to follow her since she scattered his body was cruel. She went with her husband Jason and then fell in love with Aegeus. Aegeus already had a girlfriend and Medea was jealous so she cursed Aegeus so he could not have a child. Aethra Aegeus girlfriend then came to Medea and asked for a child , so Medea gave her one by Theseus. When Jason did change his mind and fall in love with another Medea was mad and sent a cursed robe to his lover killing her. And this is where the story changes some say Medea killed her children , some that a king did since she had killed Jasons lover. Also the legend of her Mother and Father are also interesting. Well , I am not sure what I think of her. She was evil yet, in some cases she had a reason to. But by no means in all cases did she choose the right way to solve her problems.

Medea asked Aegeus to give her shelter after she killed the princess and king, and in return she would cure his sterility. She wasnt in love with Aegeus though. Medea killed her children because her hatred of Jason overpowered her love of her children.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:05 pm 
Prince/Princess

I do not think that the Greeks were more cultured then the Egyptians. And also the way you discribed Greek (fighting among themselves) you also discribe the United States in it's earlier history. The Civil War was the (North vs. South) (Sparta vs. Athens) . I have never thought of Greece like that I think all cultures did this at some time. The Egyptians the Upper and Lower , then forming one later. I also think that we have so much Greek orgin because the Greeks were smart people. In math and science. But , do not get me wrong I do think the Egyptians were smart also.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:51 pm 
Pharaoh

I am not at all good on American History as we dont study it over here but I can clarify what I meant. Of course all countries have civil wars, we had one in the 1640's and one in the 1250's, but the difference is we get past them. Throughout the whole history of Greece it was made up of individual city states who went to war with eachother. It wasn't a civil war because they weren't a united country.
I do not think the Greeks any more cultured than the Egyptians. I just believe they are credited with more as their language was around solidly throughout the middle ages, renaissance and onwards. If the hieroglyphic script hadn't been forgotten I am sure we would have had closer ties to the Egyptians as a people. In my opinion Greece was not the Foundation of Civilisation as some say, in fact it gave birth to the monster that became Rome in many ways.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:57 pm 
Prince/Princess

I do not think that Greece was a monster. Through out time Humans have battled one another. Even today people are still killing one another, it is just human nature. I think if humans did not do this we would have died long ago. I do not hate the Romans for defeating the Egyptians. Yet , I wish they had not.I do not like the Roman Empire much , but I do not hate them. Why do you say Rome was a monster? The Greeks had the first phonetic alphabet. And alot of English has a Greek origin. But you have to remember that the Egyptians were alot older than the Greeks. :D I like Egypt alot better than Greece.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next