All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:29 pm 
Prince/Princess

It is freezing here, like 9 degrees outside. and i mean u guys are half a year ahead in school years, u r right i think that the weather has alot to do with it and thats what i meant about the different hemispheres, but the best thing about it is we get Xmas in summer. so its nice and warm. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:15 pm 
Prince/Princess

But , having Christmas in the summer sounds strange. Like do you show snow scenes at Christmas , guess not thats so different from North Americas Christmas. But I am sure you think the same about having Christmas in the winter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:24 am 
Prince/Princess

lmao, would you beleive it but we have all the 'traditional' trimmings at xmas, we do all the xmas lights and stuff, we sit down to xmas lunch on a hot summers day and eat roast beef, then we go outside and have a WATER FIGHT lol, its like exact opposite to what i would imagine a winter xmas, i dont realy want a winter xmas, i am not aclimatised to cold, it might be good to try one time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:11 am 
Prince/Princess

:D We ride slieghs and stuff. I live on a hill and we mostly around Christmas time drink hot coco and sliegh all day. :? It is hard for me to image Christmas with not cold. LOL in the middle of the summer Hot coco (refreshing). :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:47 pm 
Pharaoh

Si-Amun wrote:
I could, but I did try. I felt that Mesopotamia were so vastly inferior to Egypt that I got bored. I will give it another go. Can anyone recommend any good background reading on the Mesopatamians for me (Preferably ones avaliable in England)

Hi Si-Amun, one of the better books i have found on Mesopotamia is by H.W.F. Saggs, Babylonians. One of the Peoples of the Past, series. i don't know if you can get it in England, but you can order it through Amazon.com.

Another nice book on Mesopotamia is Ancient Near Eastern History and Culture by William H. Stiebing, Jr. Again it can be ordered through Amazon.com. This book includes an in depth study on Mesopotamia in relation to the rest of the Ancient Near East very nice.

Then there is the Sumerians, Their History, Culture, and Character by Samuel Noah Kramer. It is something of a bible for Sumerian students, and Dr. Kramer the patriarch of Sunreian culture and history. i found it slightly outdated and difficult at times to read. However, it does contain large amounts of Sumerian literature.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:52 pm 
Pharaoh

Oh fantastic, thankyou. I was looking at a couple of websites and it made me realise how little I knew about Mesopotamian history. I know a fair bit about their religion (as ancient religion is my second passion) but I knew little about the culture it grew out of. Thanks Sekhy, once again you have proved to be a goddess! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:52 am 
Pharaoh

Si-Amun wrote:
Oh fantastic, thankyou. I was looking at a couple of websites and it made me realise how little I knew about Mesopotamian history. I know a fair bit about their religion (as ancient religion is my second passion) but I knew little about the culture it grew out of. Thanks Sekhy, once again you have proved to be a goddess! :wink:

LOL You're welcome Si-Amun, always glad to help. And thank you for the thought :) LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:21 pm 
Pharaoh

I have literally just discovered a passion inside of me. Greek plays and myths. Today I read the plays written about the house of Agamenon and his family, how he is murdered by his wife and lover and how she is murdered in turn by her son. I also started the Ilyiad and I must say I am impressed. It all ties in well with my Ptolomaic interest so I am happy. I will do Babylon and Mesopotamia but I will do Greece first, if that is ok with you all! You all have to read up on the story of Agamenon, it is such a fantastic tale, filled with murder and intrigue. Clythamestra, his wife is so evil and yet so compelling. Casandra, the seer and daughter of King Priam is so innocent and so tragic that you are upset when she forsees her own death and prays to the gods for mercy. You all have to read the book. It is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:50 pm 
Prince/Princess

If you liKe Greek Mythlogly then you might like a book called Goddess of Yesterday. It is not a true book ,but it is about the Trojan War and all. Casandra plays a part in the story.It is a short book , it is made for Young Adults , but I am sure that most people who do like Greek stories will like it. I thought it was a wonderful book.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:31 pm 
Pharaoh

Thankyou. A friend lent me a book called "The myths of the Greeks and Romans" and it is fantastic. It contains a version of the stories written in actual modern English (not a translation) as well as the stories around the myths and their impact on ancient civiliastion as well as discussing some of the characters/places/themes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:59 pm 
Prince/Princess

I think I have that book also. Is it written by Michael Grant?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:51 pm 
Pharaoh

It is. Have you got/read it? It was so useful to me for a really indepth study into each story or play. How did you find it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:38 pm 
Prince/Princess

Well , I have not gotten to read it yet I have skimed through the book and it looks very interesting. It was on my shelf in my room for a while and now you have brought it to my attention again, so I am going to start reading it. I got the book from my dad , who is a Social Studies teacher , he was at school and they were giving it away so he just picked it up knowing I would like it lol (strange way to get a book). Have you read the book yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:16 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

Ankhesenamun3 wrote:
If you liKe Greek Mythlogly then you might like a book called Goddess of Yesterday. It is not a true book ,but it is about the Trojan War and all. Casandra plays a part in the story.It is a short book , it is made for Young Adults , but I am sure that most people who do like Greek stories will like it. I thought it was a wonderful book.

I have it. It's by my favorite author, Caroline Cooney. Haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, however.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:40 pm 
Prince/Princess

I am sure you will like it Dark_Meryetamun_28. I have never heard of her other books , do you have a favorite because I would like to check more of the authors books out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next