All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Accurately Dating Events
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:25 pm 
Pharaoh

I was reading through a book earlier today at Barnes and Noble when I had discovered something rather interesting...

Apparently, on coffins of .. well, some era, or all eras (I really don't remember), there were star maps adorned as artwork. Now, this got me to thinking... Could it be possible that these were painted to show the position of important star configurations of the time during the time of death?

If this is true, then we could trace back the tilt of the Earth through those thousands of years and find out if not just what season the time of death was, but maybe even the year? There would be no more guesswork of labeling dates to just "possibly the Armana period". What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:26 am 
Pharaoh

It would depend on how accurate the map was.
I sometimes wonder how the Egyptians built the pyramids square when you see temple inscriptions that give a list, then a total which turns out to be innaccurate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:38 pm 
Pharaoh

Most of the star maps--those from tombs especially--are just done artistically, with no thought for accuracy. There have been exceptions, though. Most notably, the Zodiac calander from Dendura. But, as I say, most of the art work was just that--artwork--and no more.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:10 pm 
Pharaoh

Ah, that really is a shame. I was getting excited, thinking I could have a huge project I could spend my life working on! :cry: :lol: