All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Why do some of you believe in Egyptian gods?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:17 pm 
Pharaoh

How would you know they existed?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:28 pm 
Pharaoh

How do you know any god exists??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:05 pm 
Egyptian Architect

Because God tells us to.

direction
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:36 am 
Pharaoh

The answer lies w/in your heart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:13 pm 
Prince/Princess

i think that gods are created by humans, and we can destroy the gods, of any culture simply by not beleiving in them, its like tinkerbell if u say "i dont beleive in faries" they drop dead. realy the only reason gods exist is because we beleive in them. i think gods are beleived in is because we need to fill in our missing peices in our heart.

Because I do.
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:45 am 
Servant

Because I get a special feeling whenever I'm around them.

poltergiest
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:35 am 
Pharaoh

Tash wrote:
i think that gods are created by humans, and we can destroy the gods, of any culture simply by not beleiving in them, its like tinkerbell if u say "i dont beleive in faries" they drop dead. realy the only reason gods exist is because we beleive in them. i think gods are beleived in is because we need to fill in our missing peices in our heart.

Hate to be the one to tell you this my dear, but if you truly believe that human's created God; you don't have much to look forward to.
Fairie's do not die because you don't believe in them. If that were the case.... That would mean that my (self worth) and being would only exist in whether or not you believed in me. Kind of ridiculous don't you think?
Especially since I don't even know you from Adam.

What fill's the missing piece's of your heart or do you not have any missing piece's. If you do not have any missing piece's and it is not the light that fill's the void than that only leave's us w/one other choice as day is to night....black is to white, etc. Can you explain yourself in regard's?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:38 am 
Prince/Princess

not neciserialy, you are a carbon based lifeform if u wish to know. you are here and there is no running from u. i do not beleive in faries myself, i just used that as a simplified example. and it is true that when some people that are teased and put down their feeling of self worth is lowerd. somtimes resulting in a loss of being. (suicide) i have felt this before and know what it is like. if you do not beleive in something, it does not exist to u. i do not beleive in the ancient mayan gods, they only exist to me as novel stories.

as for explaining myself in regards to "yin or yang" i try to keep an open mind. and try to keep in the center. i do not totaly disregard what you are saying i see your point of view as to what i am saying is not totaly correct. and of course i have missing peices you cannot expect anybody not tto. i have lost family members to death and the such, and i feel the need to fill the other spaces with learning. i am 14 and have not even found all the spaces yet, or had enogh experience to fill them.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:17 pm 
Egyptian Architect

Ok, not to interupt, but just a quick little note...

Just because one doesn't believe in something doesn't mean it's not there. I don't mean with religion per say...i mean the traditional examples of paranormal stuff, like ghosts, psychic, aliens...etc...I saw this TLC or Discovery channel special on haunted places, and this person was all overconfident at first like "the ghosts can't hurt me, cause they ain't real and i don't believe in them.", and later on when the really scary, preternatural stuff happens, the dude is all like "Holy crap! Don't hurt me!", and starts rambling on about how he respects the ghosts and whatnot...actually now that I've thought about it....maybe it was MTV's FEAR...not an educational program...sorry...lol!

Anyways, the direction of this conversation just reminded me of it...hehe...oh yeah! please don't get me in on the whole personal perspective thing on how something real to one person isn't for another...this was just for entertainment purposes! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:22 am 
Prince/Princess

Dont worry , u dont have to be in it. but its a good point, it may be fictional but it it represents real human reactions to things like that

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:44 am 
Servant

I think I'm going to add a reason, because it's one I usually forget. I'd edit, but I think I'm under a different name. Bah.

When I was in sixth grade, we had a history lesson in Ancient Egypt. At the public school I was at, the teachers were extremely insensitive toward non-Christian religions (although I'm pretty certain they didn't mean to be).
Everything
was said as if Christianity was the only way to go, we even had religious plays. I didn't completely understand what was going on, and I was Catholic, so it didn't matter much to me. But I remember one thing that stuck in my head then and it still sticks in my head now. During that Egypt lesson, my teacher said this, and I quote:

"The Ancient Egyptians believed in and worshiped many gods. Of course, nowadays we know there is only one God."

"Nowadays we know?" In sixth grade I had very little knowledge of religion, and it still made me feel bad. And I wondered how we suddenly "found out" there was only one God, and why people stopped being polytheistic in the first place. I'd considered reconstructing it, but I didn't know where to start. It wasn't until several years later I found out I wasn't the only one who felt that way.[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:27 am 
Pharaoh

I think it was Neitschze that said "If you stare into the abyss for long enough soon it will begin to stare back at you". This is one argument, that god is only there because we cannot face our inevitable destruction at death. That is only an argument, so don't have a go at me. Have a go at Neitschze! At first I didn't really understand it but I was sitting on a train one day and it just hit me. It is a very interesting thought, no matter what your personal religious beliefs are.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:17 pm 
Scribe

because you have to believe not see. u don't need to see to believe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:56 am 
Pharaoh

Just testing the water with this one so bear wih me. A Hindu Sage in the Vedas said that there is only one true God but that he wears many masks. Do you think that this is perhaps true and that by following a God we are inadvertantly following THE God? That is how Hindus condone all of the world religions, saying that they each lead their devotees towards God in some way. They say that to deny the existence of one God is to deny the existence of God totally as ALL Gods, whether old or even made up are in some way a manifestation of the true deity which they call Brahman.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:21 pm 
Pharaoh

Ankhesenpa-aten wrote:
Ok, not to interupt, but just a quick little note...

Just because one doesn't believe in something doesn't mean it's not there. I don't mean with religion per say...i mean the traditional examples of paranormal stuff, like ghosts, psychic, aliens...etc...I saw this TLC or Discovery channel special on haunted places, and this person was all overconfident at first like "the ghosts can't hurt me, cause they ain't real and i don't believe in them.", and later on when the really scary, preternatural stuff happens, the dude is all like "Holy crap! Don't hurt me!", and starts rambling on about how he respects the ghosts and whatnot...actually now that I've thought about it....maybe it was MTV's FEAR...not an educational program...sorry...lol!Anyways, the direction of this conversation just reminded me of it...hehe...oh yeah! please don't get me in on the whole personal perspective thing on how something real to one person isn't for another...this was just for entertainment purposes! :D

I watch these show's myself and often times as not, wonder why on earth they go through so much trouble to have mediums prove the presence of spirit yet do not say anything to the presence; until recently.
I have currently taken an interest the the JonBenet case and one evening as I was researching felt a predator upon me. I realize this sound's strange but nothing the less, I felt it. For the first time I felt the energy and/or presence of something other than human. I don't work in that realm, so yes, it did scare me enough to cleanse my house.
FYI - They are fixing to come up w/a program titled Medium: Ordinary person, extrodinary gift. Maybe somebody else on this forum will be interested in this as well.