All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

help info on symbol
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:15 am 
Tomb Robber

hi I was wandering if any one could answer this question as I am at a compleate loss/
The fetish called imy-ut, the base of which looks like a flowerpot was a symbol of the Ancient Egyptian God Anubis. What does the flowerpot- like symbol represent?
i would be very greatful if any one can help thanks
frey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:39 am 
Pharaoh

James P. Allen, in his "Middle Egyptian" identifies the base alone as a pot stand. But with the figure of Anubis, I think it's identified as the base of a shrine--I can't find it in Allen's work.

Re: help info on symbol
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:22 pm 
Pharaoh

freyaluck wrote:
hi I was wandering if any one could answer this question as I am at a compleate loss/
The fetish called imy-ut, the base of which looks like a flowerpot was a symbol of the Ancient Egyptian God Anubis. What does the flowerpot- like symbol represent?
i would be very greatful if any one can help thanks
frey

Hi freyaluck,
I don't think the pot alone was a symbol of Anubis, if that's what you are asking(?). The whole emblem of a decapitated animal skin (often a feline or bull and sometimes wrapped in bandages) tied to a pole and mounted in a pot became identified with Anubis and sometimes described as the 'Anubis Fetish'.

The pots were made of Egyptian 'alabaster' and the poles represented the water lily water lily (lotus) stem and bud while the tip of the skin's tail had a papyrus flower attached and the pole and fetish itself were gilded. I would say that original versions of this emblam could have possibly been an actual stalk of lotus in an actual pot of dirt with an real animal skin tied to it. Most found are made of wood and alabaster and guilded.

Although the actual meaning and purpose of the object hasnt been confirmed, I will give some possible reasons to its association to Anubis.

Imiut was an ancient deity who was eventually absorbed by Anubis. The name Imiut has been given the translations of 'he who is in his (mummy) wrappings' or 'he who is in the chamber of emblament'. These names derive from 'imi' which can mean 'some person or thing which is in' and 'ut' which can mean 'to swath bandages around or mummify; to embalm'. Since Anubis was responsible for mummifying Osiris, thus becoming the god of embalming, I believe he eventually became linked to the Imiut symbol (fetish).

The Imuit fetish was sometimes also called the 'Son of the hesat-cow' refering to the cow that gave birth to the Mnevis bull which was associated with the cow goddess Hesat. She was one of the godesses named as the mother of Anubis.

Hope this helps.