All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

UK TV program -Tuesday 4 Mar 08
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:20 am 
Pharaoh

'Monster Moves' - moving Egyptian Temples when lake Nubia flooded.

They reconstructed how they sawed Rameseses face off - why? It was done in the 1960s.

I would have liked to know more about the moves of the other temples.

One thing that realy interested me was the Royal Navy diver in charge of lifting the Diocletian gate at Philae (under water since the British dam?) - back for the 1st time since he raised the blocks who said they had 10 eyes - their fingers - visibility was so low the eyes in their head were useless.

Not a great program but interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:08 am 
Pharaoh

The building of the first dam at Aswan early in the 20th century made Philae partially submerged. When construction started on the High Dam, in the 1960's, it was quite clear that the water would completely cover Philae and also Abu Simbel. The temple on Philae was dismantled, a new island was re-named Philae, and the temple was re-assembled there.
Abu Simbel was a word-wide effort. UNSECO covered most of the expense, which, at that time, was extremely costly. The temple was cut up into more managable sized blocks and moved up the cliff to a man-made "mountain" to be re-assembled to look exactly as it had looked in its original position, even re-aligning it so that the sun would shine on the statute of RII and the gods in the inner chamber-althogh it occurs a day later than originally.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:54 pm 
Pharaoh

I really liked the way the rock changed colour as the sun rose. I missed the day the sun illuminates 3 of the 4 statues. Presumably they are partialy illumnated on the days round the critical time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:00 am 
Pharaoh

look exactly as it had looked in its original position, even re-aligning it so that the sun would shine on the statute of RII and the gods in the inner chamber-although it occurs a day later than originally.

As previously posted...