All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:00 pm 
Prince/Princess

Quote:
Hmm...I would have to go with Nefertari. I believe she was more liked, and had more of an impact on Egypt. Nefertiti on the other hand wasn't as well liked.

While I love Nefertari, in fact my daughter is named after her, she is extremely enigmatic and there's very little we know about her for certain aside from her roles as Queen and mother. For example, we no nothing for certain of her family and who her relatives were. We speculate that she wasn't a King's Daughter because she never refers to herself as such but there is also speculation that she was a relative of Ay.

Furtheremore, I don't think we can't say she had more of an impact on Egypt in fact i'd have to disagree. We know Nefertari corresponded with Pduikhipa, Queen of the Hittites, independantly of the correspondance between their husbands, but Nefertiti had a heck of a lot more power and may even have been her husband's co-regent and some speculate she even succeeded him taking the name Smenkhare.

Nefertari may have been well liked and she is very famous in her own way. Her beautiful tomb in the valley of the Queens is stunning, but it's the famous bust of Nefertiti in the Berlin Museum which is an icon of Egypt second only perhaps to Tutankhamun's mask. Her image has stood the test of time. In fact every time I tell people my daughter's name, they try and correct me and ask if I mean 'Nefertiti'. whom more people seem to have heard of.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:17 pm 
Pharaoh

Taken from Wikipedia:
Nefertari was quite probably the only Egyptian royal wife, other than Queen Tiy, to be deified during her lifetime. Ramesses' temple at Abu Simbel also has a smaller temple nearby dedicated to Nefertari and the goddess Hathor—a very unusual act, as temples were usually dedicated to deities, not mortals.

Her status is confirmed by the fact that she was depicted as part of her husband’s entourage, even during important voyages such as a trip to Nubia to commission a new temple built at Abu Simbel. Nefertari is also depicted as being equal in size to Ramesses, a rarity indicating her importance to the pharaoh.

Her prominence is further supported by cuneiform tablets from the Hittite city of Hattusas (today Boghazkoy, Turkey), containing Nefertari's correspondence with the king Hattusilis and his wife Pudukhepa. She appears to have been instrumental in maintaining peace between Egyptians and Hittites, which eventually led to Ramesses' marriage to a Hittite princess.

Ramesses’ unusual affection for his wife, as written on her tomb's walls, shows that some Egyptian marriages were not simply matters of convenience or means to accumulate greater power and alliances, but were based around emotional attachment. Poetry written by Ramesses about his dead wife is featured on some of the walls of her burial chamber. ([b]"My love is unique—no one can rival her, for she is the most beautiful woman alive. Just by passing, she has stolen away my heart."[/b])

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:23 pm 
Prince/Princess

Yes Nefertari was very prominant and the most important of Ramses's wives. And she also played a big part in cementing a lasting piece between Egypt and the Hittites, which of course, impacted on Egypt. But Nefertiti's influence, particularly her role in the Aten cult, turned Egypt into the first monotheistic state in the world.

Nefertari was always the most beloved of Ramses's wives, but he did have many several of whom were Great Royal Wives. While Kiya gave Akhenaten a son, she never was, nor did anyone else, come close to equalling Nefertiti in prominance. I believe Akhenaten may even have wrote her poetry .

The images we have of Akhenaten with his family are of course unusual but he and Nefertiti are portrayed as the same height, we see her driving her chariot and smiting Egypt's enemies. As stated she may even have become regent and some say Pharaoh.

Nefertari never came close to equaling this.

While the info in the Wiki quote is accurate, Wiki is one of those sites you have to take with a pinch of salt. I am not even supposed to use it as a reference on my history degree course because anyone who is anyone can post what they want on there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:21 am 
Tomb Robber

Where is the evidence that says Nefertiti may have been Pharoah? This I'd like to learn some more about.

lemonade diet | xenadrine

Last edited by BrigetteMccright on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:23 am 
Pharaoh

There is speculation she might be smenkhare although I have not seen any solid evidence.

Nefertari
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:46 pm 
Servant

You should have watched the movie "The Ten Commandments" It is not based on fact, but who cares, at the time it came out it was a great movie. Nefertari was not in love with Moses. She was in love with me.
Tom