All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Princesses Baket and Nefertari II
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:29 am 
Prince/Princess

According to the facade of the Great Temple of Abu Simbel, these two princesses were daughters number 2 and 3 of Nefertari and Ramses. The problem I have is that Meritamun is consistantly refered to as Nefertari's eldest daughter. Help!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:29 am 
Prince/Princess

BAketmut sorry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:36 am 
Prince/Princess

Sorry to keep adding bits here, meant to say that Baketmut and Nefertari II are stated at Abu Simbel to be daughters 2 and 3 of Ramses but 1 and 2 of Nefertari, with Bintanath by Iset Nofret coming first. This is according to Joyce Tyldesly in her book 'Ramses'.

Now only the first 6 princesses by the two principal queens were featured at Abu Simbel, along with Amunhirkhepshef, Prince Ramses, Tuya and Nefertari. Iset Nofret II is named as daughter number 6 meaning that Baketmut and Nefertari II must have been among Ramses's first-born daughters.

They are shown as infants on the facade so they probably died young because by the time that Abu Simbel was completed they would certainly have reached adulthood if they had survived, probably becominf Great Royal Wives ahead of Meritamun.

Anyone who has anymore information on these two ephermeral princess other than what is written by Tyldesly would would be of great help to me as every time I see 'Meritamun, eldest daughter of Ramses and Nefertari' I get really irritated:-)