All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

king tut
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:01 am 
hey who killed king tut

Re: king tut
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:06 am 
supamattie wrote:
hey who killed king tut

Hi Supamattie, i have an answer for you, however it isn't the normal answer one gets when this question is asked.

First off let us remember that Ramesses II was leading armies at the age of 16. Why not Tutankhamun?

According to Ancient Near Eastern History and Culture, by William H. Stiebing, Jr, Longman Publishers, 2003, pg 188. "A painted wooden box from his tomb shows Tutankhamun triumphing over Nubians and Asiatics. Did the king personally lead military expeditions into Nubia and Syria-Palestine when he reached adulthood at age 16? Scholars have usually regarded these paintings as copies of traditional scenes of pharaoh defeating his enemies rather than as illustrations of actual events in Tutankhamun's reign. However, recent study of the young king's mummy has necessitated a reevaluation of this view. X-rays have suggested to some pathologists that Tutankhamun died from a blow to the base of his skull that caused a cerebral hemorrhage. The location of the injury makes it unlikely that it was accidental, so some argue for murder. (Ay is the principal suspect.) On the other hand, other pathologists do not see strong evidence for skull damage and hemorrhage in the X-rays. Moreover, if there was such an injury, it could have been the result of battle rather than murder. Tutankhamun was 18 or 19 when he died, certainly old enough to assume personal leadership of Egypt's armies. There is no compelling reason, then to doubt the essential historicity of the paintings on a box in his tomb showing Tutankhamun in battle. The boy pharaoh who reestablished Egypt's traditional religion may have lost his life trying to restore her traditional empire as well."

I prefer this to murder by trusted long serving servants for their own gain.
What would Ay have gained? An extremely short reign he was already old by Egyptian standards when Tutankhamun died. He left no blood relation to carry on to hold onto the throne that came to him when Tutankhamun died. So to what purpose would he have had to murder Pharaoh.

Egypt was no stranger to boy Pharaohs, from the 1st dynasty to the last crowned Pharaoh (a Ptolomy, the son of Cleopatra VII and Julius Caesar) there were boy pharaohs. Most if not all made it into their adulthood and full excerise of their right to rule.

While it is ASSUMED that Ay, and the General Horemheb held the real power during most of Tutankhamun's reign there was no offical Co-Regency giving either man the offical power. Meaning neither man had offical power over Tutankhamun and he was just their puppet.

Amenhotep III, who ruled prior to Akhenaten came to the throne almost as young as Tutankhamun. He also had no offical co-regent, and there is little doubt. That from day one, he did the ruling as well. From the day Tutankhamen came to the throne he was a married man, his wife was older and the daughter of Pharaoh. If there had been an regency there is no reason to think anyone other than his wife was the Regent. Unless your a scholar from an Western nation back in the early 1900's. When and where women stayed at home, and royalty was rife with plots to control the King/Queen.

Some folks argue that Horemheb might have murdered Tutankhamun. There are problems with this as well. First off he as Tutankhamun's chosen heir, but Ay came to rule before the chosen heir. If Horemheb had murdered Tutankhamun why did he allow Ay to rule instead of him?
2nd. Like Ay, Horemheb had no living blood heir to leave his throne too. The man he left it to by all accounts was just a highly placed offical with a son and grandson.

His wife Ankhesenamun might have killed him is another more recent suspect. If she murdered him, why did she write begging the Hittite King to send her one of his sons to marry?

The best answer to who killed Tutankhamun is no one most likely killed him. As the last male in the line of Ahmose, Amenhotep I, II, Thutmosis I, III he went out to do battle to restore his empire and died in the attempt.

I hope this is a help to you.

Re: king tut
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:13 am 
Prince/Princess

supamattie wrote:
hey who killed king tut

It wasn't me!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:55 pm 
Gods/Goddesses

No! Tis I! I killed Tut! :lol: hehehe...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:04 pm 
Servant

it was either aye, horernhab, vizier or ankhsunamun(his wife)