Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*Gasp* Cheating on Egypt???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Ancient Egypt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tadukhipa
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: *Gasp* Cheating on Egypt??? Reply with quote

Has anyone else ever considered what it would be like to make a living studying an ancient civilization other than Egypt?

After high school, I've been thinking of taking the program in "Classical and Near Eastern Archeology" at a university not too too far from where I live. Anyways, from what I can tell they only have one Egypt class in the program. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about universities, but I've realized that, realistically, I could be very easily led into a career studying a bunch of non-Egypt stuff. Really though, I've always been interested in most ancient history, but Egypt just happens to be my favorite. Plus Egypt is kinda the "trendy" thing to be studying, so there's most likely tons of competition in the Egyptology field.

Has anyone else here considered "cheating" on Egypt?

http://strictlybecca.blogspot.com
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Tash
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO, i never realy did before, but now im not sure, its the two week winter holz here and my science teacher gave me sum books to read, now im considering studying Physics, but hey, im only in year nine and i have loads of time to decide

The little ones are Chewy
Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: *Gasp* Cheating on Egypt??? Reply with quote

Tadukhipa wrote:
Has anyone else ever considered what it would be like to make a living studying an ancient civilization other than Egypt?

After high school, I've been thinking of taking the program in "Classical and Near Eastern Archeology" at a university not too too far from where I live. Anyways, from what I can tell they only have one Egypt class in the program. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about universities, but I've realized that, realistically, I could be very easily led into a career studying a bunch of non-Egypt stuff. Really though, I've always been interested in most ancient history, but Egypt just happens to be my favorite. Plus Egypt is kinda the "trendy" thing to be studying, so there's most likely tons of competition in the Egyptology field.

Has anyone else here considered "cheating" on Egypt?

Hi Tadukhipa, i am not really sure by what you mean by "cheating" on Egypt?
But i am reminded of Dr. Joann Fletcher's Nefertiti found program and how it got her a black eye from not just Egyptian authorities (not following their rules) and by real Egyptian mummification experts. Would that be like the "cheating" you're talking about?
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Tash that is Kool you call grades years , like are you in 9th grade?
PharoahKel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely interested in other cultures. I dont think I could be an Egyptologist, its too narrow. I want to go to Machu Pichu, Angkor Wat, Yucatan peninsula (again Very Happy )I would love the learn more about the Khmer Empire, and the Mayans, Aztecs, and Incas. I love Egypt but there is so much more!
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Yeah , I know like I think Kinesics would also be interesting! Kinesics- : a systematic study of the relationship between nonlinguistic body motions (as blushes, shrugs, or eye movement) and communication. I am sure I will always love Egypt but I still may study another subject. I do not know I am still to young to really decide yet , got lots of time to plan.
Tadukhipa
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: *Gasp* Cheating on Egypt??? Reply with quote

Sekhmet wrote:

Hi Tadukhipa, i am not really sure by what you mean by "cheating" on Egypt?
But i am reminded of Dr. Joann Fletcher's Nefertiti found program and how it got her a black eye from not just Egyptian authorities (not following their rules) and by real Egyptian mummification experts. Would that be like the "cheating" you're talking about?

By "cheating" I mean studying an ancient civilization other than Egypt.

http://strictlybecca.blogspot.com
Tash
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think so, but u guys are half a year/grade ahead of us, cos of the different hemispheres

The little ones are Chewy
Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: *Gasp* Cheating on Egypt??? Reply with quote

Tadukhipa wrote:

By "cheating" I mean studying an ancient civilization other than Egypt.

Aww, thanks Tadukhipa. To that i would remind you that Ancient Egypt didn't exist in a vacum. It had a rich history of interaction with other ancient cultures but how many folks know of this because the focus is on Egypt?
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say half a year ahead does that mean it is not July there. Or do you mean your school years? So you are half way throught school while we just got out. I think it is that way cause of the weaher like now is it cold over there. It is summer here in the USA.
PharoahKel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im cheating on Egypt big time! Very Happy
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked PhaoahKel , I would have never thought.Wink Just joking I am sure I to may easly "Cheat on Egypt" , Confused but maybe I won't I do not know yet.But , I am sure I will always love learning as much as I can about it.
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never deviate far from Egypt I am afraid. I have forayed into Babylon, Greece and Rome but each led me to the same conclusion. They were only ever great because they went into Egypt. Rome was virtually founded on Egyptian wheat and gold (Augustus - Grrrr). I just find that I end up biased against entire civilisations because of the harm they may have done Egypt (Rome in particular). I actually really dislike Augustus and have a growing hatred for Cicero for what he did to Cleopatra.
Oh dear, I think I may have taken this Egypt thing far too far now. Perhaps it is time to stop, or at least slow down a lot. By the way. Happy belated new year (July 19th). See. I am even using an out of date calendar. Aaaargh. Someone help me back into the 21st century!
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesopotamia (sorry if I miss spelled) was before Ancient Egypt maybe if you liked to study history would be a good way to go , but it was not based off of Egypt.
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could, but I did try. I felt that Mesopotamia were so vastly inferior to Egypt that I got bored. I will give it another go. Can anyone recommend any good background reading on the Mesopatamians for me (Preferably ones avaliable in England)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Ancient Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: