Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian Hebrew Beliefs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Pharaohs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drummerfein
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Egyptian Hebrew Beliefs Reply with quote

If anyone has any information on what the Hebrews in Ancient Egypt (preferably Old Kingdom period) believed in or what their religion focused on, I would appreciate it. Please e-mail any info, people or places that would help me on this matter to natesbondw@netscape.net.
Thank you!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Egyptian Hebrew Beliefs Reply with quote

Drummerfein wrote:
If anyone has any information on what the Hebrews in Ancient Egypt (preferably Old Kingdom period) believed in or what their religion focused on, I would appreciate it. Please e-mail any info, people or places that would help me on this matter to natesbondw@netscape.net.
Thank you!

Hi Drummerfein, There are very few sources that offer any kind of information that you are looking for here. Most don't consider the Ancient Hebrews as being in existence at that time. For generations the earliest folks would consider Abraham as living was during the 1900's BCE. Which is several centuries after the end of the Old Kingdom. Now you can find occassional expert that puts Abraham into the either the 10th or 11 dynasties or from sometime after 2130 BCE. Which is still after the end of the Old Kingdom.

However Drummerfein, you are in luck coming to this site because i personally believe that Abraham lived during the 1 Dynasty which happens to be before the Old Kingdom.

The best source of information on what the Hebrews believed is Ancient Egypt and the Old Testament by John D. Currid.

The Old Kingdom saw the supremecy of the Memphisite Triad which included the god Ptah, his wife Sekhmet, and their son (who later was considered to be Imhotep). The most interesting aspect of this theology was that Ptah spoke the universe, the world, and all that was in it into being. Just like God in Genesis does. Ptah like the Bible's God was self existing. Throughout Egypt's history, Pharaoh was the main worshipper of Ptah, while Memphis maintained his temples and cults... Pharaoh was his main worshipper.

Also the chaos that Genesis descibes is similiar to the chaos that is at the base of the Hermopolis theology another early Egyptian theology. This relationship was first noticed by Archibald Sayce.

I hope this is a help, there isn't much but there is some. Again the main reason is that most experts don't credit the Ancient Hebrews as being in the Old Kingdom.
Tadukhipa
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know too too much about the details of this, but I believe that while some of the main gods were eliminated during Akhenaten's rule (especially Amun), there is still evidence of several gods still kicking around. For example: I know that Akhenaten still had a fondness for Ma'at. So I'm not sure if he'd be a monothiest in the full sense of the word.

http://strictlybecca.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Pharaohs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: