Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bintanath

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Bintanath Reply with quote

Something I have always found interesting is that Bintanath is said to have married her full brother Meremptah on the death of her father but I find this unlikely. She would have been significantly elder than her brother and may even have acted in the role of Step mother. I cannot see Meremptah marrying her considering her age and the unlikelyhood of any heirs resulting. In this I echo the sentiments of Joyce Tyldesly in her book 'Ramses' .
We know Meremptah married his sister Iset Nofret the second and she became his Great Royal Wife but we also know that he married a 'Bintanath'. The "Royal Daughter, Royal Sister, Great Royal Wife Bintanath" appears on a statue of Merenptah in front of the Luxor pylon, titles which would apply equally to any daughter of Bintanath by Ramses and we know she had one.
Is there anymore firm evidence out there for this 'Bintanath II' as i'll call her?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Kiya,
In Women in Ancient Egypt by Gay Robins pg. 29 She talks about Bint-Anath the daughter of Ramessess II and his wife Asetnefret marring her father and having a daughter. Perhaps your Bint-Anath II is this daughter. She would have held those titles, and would have been of an age to marry Merneptah. I hope this helps.
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes in her tomb in the Valley of the Queens she appears with a daughter who is unamed. No other children are shown as far as I know but I just wondered if there were any other sources that mentioned her apart from Tyldesly's book. Have been meaning to read 'Women of Ancient Egypt' for a while but never got round to buying or ordering it from the library.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: