Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myron
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Neit Reply with quote

I notice that Egypt Air flies aircraft named Question "Neit" and "Tiye" or "Tive". Was Neit an ancient god? I think that Tiye/Tive was a Queen? Any information about these names would be appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Neb-Ma'at-Re
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the connection between the AE deity Neit (Neith) and an airline.

In the Old Kingdom she was a war deity, invoked as a blessing for weapons, both for the soldier and the hunter. Often weapons were placed in tombs surrounding the mummy as protection against evil spirits. These weapons were consecrated to Neith.

In the New Kingdom her association with funerary rites is even greater. She stands, along with Isis, guarding the funeral bier of the pharaoh. In the New Kingdom the mummy wrappings were considered the "gifts of Neith."

I certainly wouldn't fly an airline named for a war goddess that was and associated with funerary rites!!!!

I don't know if these names have different meanings in Arabic, however, as I mentioned in a different post, many Arabic names and words have not changed from ancient times. I have learned this and a great deal from Dr. Ossama Alsaadawi.
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Neit is a strange name for an Egyptian Aircraft Reply with quote

That's what Egypt Air named one of their aircraft "Neit". Some others are "Cleopatra", "Nefertari", and "Tive" (Tiye). On 1 side, the inscription is in English and the other side is in Arabic. I would name an aircraft Thebes, Heliopolis,etc. but "Neit" is what they chose. Since 9-11, it's very hard for me to spot aircraft anymore at airports. The guards are super-suspicious! Question
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...interesting. I can see them naming aircraft after more popular female figures, such as Cleopatra, Nefertari,and Tiye, but not sure why they would choose the goddess Neith. I can see Isis, Mut, Ma'at, Nekbit, since these are either birds of flight or humanoid figures often shown with the spread wings of a bird. Are these the only names they've chosen? Are there more?
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neit (in Greek: Neit) this goddess' other names via different spellings are Neith, Nit, and Net. Neb-Ma-at-Re is right about Neit. But she did have some other attributes which are below.

From website...
Quote:
http://www.nemo.nu/ibisportal/0egyptintro/1egypt/gudasidor/neit.htm
and in her home town she was said to be the sole creator of all other gods. She was patroness of virginity and virgins and also cared for weaving. She wore the red crown of Lower Egypt and her weapons - the bow and the arrows. A shield with two crossed arrows was her sign and was seen stylised upon her head (right). In the NK she was the mother of Re. In the new capital Memphis (3.200 BC.) she protected the royal crown.

In the Early Dynastic and Old Kingdom Neit(h) was a popular addition to the name of the Queen. The presumed mother of Aha, 1st Dynasty was Neith-hotep, 1st Dynasty Queen Merneith, mother of Pharaoh Den is another Queen using Neit(h) in her name. The last Queen of the Old Kingdom was Nitokerty, the Nit equalling Neith.

Since since Myron says that other airplanes are named after Queens, to name one Neit is appropriate i believe.
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the aircraft owners don't know anything about mythology and just wanted an ancient-sounding name for the aircrafts. Smile
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Tiy was the Great Royal Wife of Amenhotep III. There was another queen called Tiy during the reign of Ramses III but she is not the queen spoke of her, infact, that Tiy was a rather naughty girl.
Selket
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think Neith had any influence on the Greeks?
She's too much like Athena to be ignored.
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point! Will look into that one:-)

Just found this site. Not too much info but confirms the identification of Neith with Athena.

http://www.virtual-egyptian-museum.org/Collection/FullVisit/Collection.FullVisit-JFR.html?../Content/MET.XL.00109.html&0

Here's another one

http://www.teenwitch.com/DEITY/KMT/NEITH.HTM

and another
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Neith
Selket
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I really like Athena, so this is interesting. The Greeks kind of had this trinity of gods. Ares, Athena,Aphrodite. Ares provoked war, Athena stopped/prevented it, and Aphrodite ended it.
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted by Selket
Quote:
The Greeks kind of had this trinity of gods. Ares, Athena,Aphrodite. Ares provoked war, Athena stopped/prevented it, and Aphrodite ended it.

But Athena and Ares were both Gods of war. Athena was just a goddess of righteous and honourable warfare while Ares was a bloodthirsty war god.
Selket
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the impression I get from reading Wonder Woman.
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Speaking of which, I hear Kelly Brook is up for the role in a new film their making:-)
Merytre-Hatshepsut
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Greeks kind of had this trinity of gods. Ares, Athena,Aphrodite. Ares provoked war, Athena stopped/prevented it, and Aphrodite ended it.

There were (at least) 3 war gods in egypt as well:
Monthu, Onuris and Neith.

Monthu is the one shown behind pharaoh Tuthmosis IV on his chariot and guiding his hand in battle.
Not sure what the roles of the other two would have been.
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Seth to a lesser extent- he is shown teaching Tuthmosis to use a bow in a wonderful relief. He also taught the young to hunt and ride.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: