Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is The Infamous "Nefertiti Mummy" really her?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if they did DNA test on the Tiye mummies hair.But I think I read that they did DNA test on the hair but it was along time ago and I do not remember what book I read it in.Have you ever heard of them DNA testing on the Tiye mummy?? On any other mummy?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Dark_Meryetamun_28
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of. But, I've been gone for quite a bit (not my fault) so I might have missed a lot of stuff online.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that they did not DNA test on the Hair of the Tiye mummy. They first compared the skull of the Tiye mummy to the Tuya mummy who is Tiyes mother. To see if the skulls were simalar enough to be a mother and daughter. The test showed that the two skulls were very simalar which makes the chance better that the mummy is Tiye. Next they tested to see if the hair from Tuts tomb and the hair from the mummy were chemicaly simalar and the test showed they were almost exactly the same. So that is what makes some people believe the elder lady in tomb Kv 55 is Tiye.
PharoahKel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think we should dna the mummies if the reason is only to find out who they were, one of the reasons so many of us love egypt is the mystery. if we were meant to know if it was her then there would be a better way
Akhenaten
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Ankhesenamun3,

You said that the mummy suspected of being Queen Tye was in KV55, but no woman mummy was found there. You mean the mummy that is in the same tomb as the "Nefertiti" mummy, right?
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry, I was wrong it is KV35. Tiye an the Nefertiti mummy and the young boy were found in the side chamber of Amenhotep II tomb.
Ramses
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dose anyone have a link that will tell me about what mummy you are talking about?
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to look at Discovery's site: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20030602/nefertiti.html
<i>"Sorry, did I say something wrong? Pardon me for breathing, which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it, oh God, I'm so depressed. Here's another of those self-satisfied doors. Life! Don't talk to me about life."</i>
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember now what have I voted but now I think it is someone else... and it says nobody voted for that. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Al-ahram weekly reports Reply with quote

I've just read it online, it said that Zahi Hawass, Egypt's leading egyptologist rejects Joan Fletcher's claims about this 'Nefertiti' mummy based on several reasons.
Firstly, autopsy and x-ray scans carried out by him and American egyptologist, Kent Weeks indicated that the mummy was instead a 16-25 year old girl while Nefertiti was thought to died in her 30s. Secondly, the
autopsy shows that the pelvis of the mummy was smaller compared to Nefertiti who gave birth to 6 children, which should be broader for a pregnant woman. Thirdly, they found that double piercings on the left ear are not exclusive during the Amarna times but among the New kingdom youths.

Well, I voted for 'No, it's someone else' because I think Dr. Joan Fletcher's findings are not solid enough to support her claims and I think Dr. Zahi Hawass does has a point in his explainations. To know more, check out this site:http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/653/eg8.htm
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This debate seems moot with the latest findings that the SCA has released to the public. DNA testing done on the "Younger Lady" mummy has shown it to be the mummy of a man. Very Happy
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a man. It's been called Young Lady for a very long time, nobody doubted it's a woman and it suddenly becomes a man when Hawass becomes angry at Fletcher? He just want to make Fletcher seem ridiculous. (not that she needs anyone for that... she's already made a fool of herself).
Ankhesenpa-aten
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted it could be her, simply because I watched the Discovery Channel special on it, and frankly it confused the heck out of me....I mean, I get all the arguments for and against the notion that it's Nefertiti's mummy, and both sides have fairly strong arguments, but the way they showed it was confusing...they kept jumping back and forth from topics and points of view..and blah....
Ananka
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Nefertitis mummy Reply with quote

I feel strongly that it is her. I compared screen caps to the many photographs I own of her famous bust, and others that have been labled as nefertiti. When superimposed the mummys face was a perfect maatch, well what was left of it anyway.

In regards to the childrens mummys in tuts tomb, dna would be the way to link it with the mummy as the best dna is through the female line. There is one major stumbling block. Zahi Hawass refuses to give permission for dna samples to be taken.

Personaly, I think hes jealous a woman may have found what he's sought for so very long. Plus shes british and I think he still bears a grudge against British archeologists.
Tadukhipa
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't think the mummy is Nefertiti, I definately don't think that it's a man. In my opinion Hawass has just seemed all too desperate to try and show Fletcher up, and I don't see what the deal is with the sudden urge to do a DNA test. Also, I saw the news about the DNA test on like two websites. Why wasn't it publicized more?

My money still goes on Meritaten. They already said the mummy was probably too young to be Nefertiti, and it's definately not unlikely that Nefertiti's daughter would have inherited some of her facial characteristics.

http://strictlybecca.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: