Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is the greatest egyptologist at all ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Coffee Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the greatest egyptologist at all ?
G.B.Belzoni
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
W.M.F.Petrie
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
J.F.CHampollion
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
H.Carter
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
somebody else (WHO?why?)
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

Ranefer
Servant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Who is the greatest egyptologist at all ? Reply with quote

That's my question ....
who do you think is a realy the greatest one at all.
Just One name and reason why do you think its that one..
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes dificult ???? of course it is.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

tnrees
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Champolions contribution is major (and do not forget Thomas Young) I would call him more a linguist rather than an Egyptologist.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree, tnrees.
It's really hard to make a decision. All of those mentioned have advanced Egyptology a lot. Not only those mentioned, but the likes of Henry Breasted also.
Each man contributed so very much, in his own era. Carter showed us how an excavation should be carried out, Belzoni gave us Seti' tomb (among many), Breasted more or less founded the idea of Egyptology at the OI, then there was Breasted, Gardiner (again, more of a linguist)--so very many more, right down to our own times, with Mark Lehner and the often laughed at, but very scholarly Zahi Hawass.
NileQueen
Servant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say George Reisner is probably the greatest Egyptologist. But maybe I'm a bit biased.
Ranefer
Servant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reisner? Reply with quote

Confused have you got any better explamation why, , have you read something from or about him what make you thnik so?
my last book has been writen by G.B.Belzoni, so for me is Givoanni the Best now, will be very interesting to read something more about exploration of an other part of nubia and to know more about another great egyptologist.
So any good links or info ,are welcome Cool
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, again, that it is a matter of the times.
Belzoni was a great excavator, but he was known to use dynamite to open blocked passages in tombs! Also, when he was "acquiring " antiquities for Salt, the British collector/agent, he shipped many of the pieces now in the British Museum, taking them without any permission from the Egyptian government.
NileQueen
Servant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have my reasons. He excavated in great length both Egypt and Nubia. He is the reason the MFA Boston has such a massive collection of Egyptian and Nubia artifacts.
tnrees
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think dynamite was invented when Belzoni was alive. When he took artifacts the Egyptian government was not interested except for possibly collecting an export tax.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the word "dynamite" thinking of an explosive that would instantly be recognized.
True, it wasn't invented until 1867, quite some time after Belzoni's death. He did, however, use blasting powder.
It's true, though, that, at that time. the Egyptian authorities weren't too interested in the country's past. Almost anything was looked upon as Fair Game! You ought to read "Rape Of The Nile" for further information. It's a real eye-opener on the practices of the "collectors" and excavators of that time.
tnrees
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why have only 2 people voted?
Ranefer
Servant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on point of view Cool Cool Cool , if you compaired his (G.B.Belzonis) time and our time,YES off course ,it seems to us as a vandalism and roberies Confused Confused Confused , but if you compared his attitude and a work of his competitors, there is a huge difference in some causes.

Question Question Will We be a barbars when a future egyptologist will point at all damages what we did to the royal mummies durring they RTG search, Question Question Question Even we knew its not a 100% safe.

All of interesting egyptologist periods began with a somebody who turned around a previous system and found the new ways. I see that one of this great man was Giovani, as in latter time it was e.g. J.F.CH.... or A.Marriete ...WMFP... etc..

In my eyes he is not a clear robber or a treasures hunter ,he always had a contract or had a firm whit a local rulers for his projects. so in that time his hands were clear Laughing Laughing Laughing
Shepeskaf the Cool
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariette, maspero & gardiner were never afraid to disaggree with the consensus. budge for the sheer volume of his work, but in the long time, the neccessity to debunk the fatuous writers such as hancock & bauval may end up providing more knowledge than anyone else
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Coffee Lounge All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: