Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi everyone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Coffee Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Hi everyone! Reply with quote

Hi, I am an aspiring writer (3 unpublished novels under my belt) about to start my next one which is based in Ancient Egypt. I am in the research stage and am hoping this site will answer any questions i have which i can't find the answer to anywhere else - and hopefully i can contribute too Very Happy

I am still navigating my way around the site so forgive me if i post things in the wrong place.

My present problem is finding out about concubines, there isn't much info about this online. I wanted to know if peasant women ever became concubines, and if the Pharoah wanted them to would they find it hard to refuse?

Anyway, Hi to you all. Very Happy

Casey
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Meresankh
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casey, and welcome!
Casey
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Casey!
I found this just doing a quick search for "concubines in ancient Egypt". You might find it a bit helpful, and more on touregypt, where this is from:
In some parts of ancient Egyptian society, men were permitted to have concubines. Naturally, it worked out better for the husband if his bride approved. But concubines did not have the same protective status as wives. And adultery, even in households where there were concubines, was strongly discouraged.

It didn't really say anything about the concubine being a peasant woman, but, as I said, I only did a [i]very [/i]rushed search. You might find more on Google.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Casey!
I found this just doing a quick search for "concubines in ancient Egypt". You might find it a bit helpful, and more on touregypt, where this is from:
In some parts of ancient Egyptian society, men were permitted to have concubines. Naturally, it worked out better for the husband if his bride approved. But concubines did not have the same protective status as wives. And adultery, even in households where there were concubines, was strongly discouraged.

It didn't really say anything about the concubine being a peasant woman, but, as I said, I only did a very rushed search. You might find more on Google.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops! Embarassed

Sorry for the double posting...
Casey
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Osiris II, that's kind of you - i did a similar search and came up with the same information as you. I can't find anywhere what sort of woman exactly would become a concubine. Common people took marriage seriously, royalty was less concerned about adultery - so maybe that's my answer. I've also tried googling about whether noblemen (the next class downn from royalty) would have taken common women as concubines but am not finding the answer to that either. More surfing,i think!

Thanks again Very Happy

Casey
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any more information either.
Just my own personal idea, but I doubt very much if a peasant woman would be taken by Pharaoh as a concubine. He'd more than likely get his extra "ladies" from the nobility, with whom he would have more contact.
Casey
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, Osiris II,

yeh, the more i think about it, you're probably right, a Pharoah probably wouldn't even look at a commoner, let alone... Wink

Cheers.

Casey
tnrees
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pharaoh would have seen peasant women so possibly a particularly beautiful one might catch his eye or a peasant may go from a moderatly important person to a very important one.
In England think of Nell Gwynn and Lady Hamilton.
Casey
Servant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tnrees,

Hmm, interesting point about the social-climbing.

Cheers.
pharaoh of kicking-A
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l completely disagree. Queen Tiye, one of the most powerful women of Egypt was a commoner and was married to Amenhotep the 3rd. Thats pretty impressive for a commoner.

Also the pharaoh was known to have sent out special "model agents" if you will to find amazingly beautiful and stunning women for his large harem. Also he didnt have to go looking for women as the Kings allies sent him women from there kingdom. Some of which may well have been commoners.

but you know.. whatever you found on google is good to l guess...
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Tiye is referred to as a commoner, she was far from being one. He father was of high rank, and her mother was of the nobility. Tiye's family would have been considered nobility. In Pharaoh's eyes, she MAY have been considered a commoner, but was hardly a peasant woman.
Pharaoh may have had agents out scouring the land for beautiful women to add to his harem--sexual attraction goes to unlimited lengths. But again, I would think that most of his amorous adventures would be confined to the nobility, with which he was more familiar and with which he associated.
Casey
Servant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thanks guys - i can see all this is going to be much more complicated than i thought. I emailed an egyptian museum this morning and asked if they thought a nobleman perhaps(as opposed to a Pharoah) would take a commoner as a lover. Very kindly they emailed back and said it was possible but very much depended on the exact year and geographical location i was talking about. In other words i suppose it's impossible to generalize about much in Ancient Egypt.

It's all a bit overwhelming, to be honest! I can see i'm going to have to do a lot of research.

Thanks for the replies Very Happy

Casey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Coffee Lounge All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: