Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ancient Egyptian/Greek Names

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Coffee Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Ancient Egyptian/Greek Names Reply with quote

I gave my daughter the name Nefertari-Jill (plus several other non-historical middle names) Jill after my mother. We figured that we'd only have the one so had better make sure no relatives felt left out. I had also been considering Nefertari Thea Philopator (Egyptian/Greek combination). Now she's nearly two I was wish I adn't been as concenrned with including all the relatives and gone with a choice which i've only just thought of but which I really like. That being Nefertari Thea Soteira. I remembered Cleopatra II bearing the name 'Soteira'. So Nefertari Thea Soteira should translate as 'The most beautiful woman, The Saviour Goddess'. Bit pompass maybe but she's my daughter, she's beautiful and it's our right to chose a beautiful name for our children.
Does anyone else have any (real) ancient Egyptian/Greek/other historical culture names or children/relatives with such?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Sitra
Servant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancient Egyptian/Greek Names Reply with quote

Kiya wrote:
I gave my daughter the name Nefertari-Jill (plus several other non-historical middle names) Jill after my mother. We figured that we'd only have the one so had better make sure no relatives felt left out. I had also been considering Nefertari Thea Philopator (Egyptian/Greek combination). Now she's nearly two I was wish I adn't been as concenrned with including all the relatives and gone with a choice which i've only just thought of but which I really like. That being Nefertari Thea Soteira. I remembered Cleopatra II bearing the name 'Soteira'. So Nefertari Thea Soteira should translate as 'The most beautiful woman, The Saviour Goddess'. Bit pompass maybe but she's my daughter, she's beautiful and it's our right to chose a beautiful name for our children.
Does anyone else have any (real) ancient Egyptian/Greek/other historical culture names or children/relatives with such?

I have a Egyptian name, my name is Sitra and it means Doughter of Ra.
My sisters name is Ahhotep and it means The Moon is Pleased.
xoox Smile
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aahotep was next on my shortlist along with Hathor and Freya. As a Pagan myself I liked the idea of a name that meant 'The Moon is Born'.
Sitra
Servant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiya wrote:
Aahotep was next on my shortlist along with Hathor and Freya. As a Pagan myself I liked the idea of a name that meant 'The Moon is Born'.

It is a wonderful name, even though she was bullied at school for it. People today are so closed minded.

xoox
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotep means "peace". I'm not sure what Aahotep means. Perhaps some of our members who are more familiar with ancient Egyptian language would be able to help.
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted by Osiris II

Quote:
Hotep means "peace". I'm not sure what Aahotep means. Perhaps some of our members who are more familiar with ancient Egyptian language would be able to help.

That was a slip on my part. I meant that 'Ahmose' had been on my shortlist of names,not Aahotep, which does mean 'The Moon is Born'.

Originally posted by Sitre

Quote:
It is a wonderful name, even though she was bullied at school for it. People today are so closed minded.

That's why I didn't go for 'Hathor'. I'm sure you can see what 'fun' some spiteful people might have had with that name.
Sitra
Servant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can think of some things they may say, well they are the sad ones for being so closed minded.

xoox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Coffee Lounge All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: