Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KV55-- Who is he/her/it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tadukhipa
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: KV55-- Who is he/her/it? Reply with quote

What are your thoughts?

http://strictlybecca.blogspot.com
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Akhenaten
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first always thought that it was Smenkhakre, but now I think it may actually be Akhenaten, although I'm sure most would agree that Smenkhakre is the most likely (Starngely enough, they are the same people who tell me that Smenkhakre is Nefertiti... figure that one out!). After reading "Akhenaten-Egypt's false Prophet" by6 Nicholas Reeves, I believe that it's Akhenaten, in fact, who is the mummy that had lain in the tomb not aclled KV55 for so many years, Because (a. More doctors and scientists think the skeleton is of an older man (b. with Nicholas Reeve's theory (Which I have laid out in another post on the subject in this forum) fits better with Akhenaten being the skeleton, instead of Smenkhkare(If you can't fin that post, tell me and I'll explain). and, (c. Smenkhakre's too long of a name to be contained in the cartouche that was removed from the coffin.

But, who knows! Maybe it's Duhtmose, Akhenaten's older brother. If he were in fact a younger man, the age would be correct!
Tadukhipa
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Thutmose would be too young to be the KV55 mummy, but one of the mummies found along with The Elder Lady (the one believed to be Tiye) in KV35 was of a young man and I think that there are some people who think that he's Thutmose.

Lady Neferankh
Servant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that the KV 55 body might be Thutmose's is interesting although personally I believe it to be Smenkhara.Does anyone know however where I could find more information on the idea of the body being Thutmose's?Also have any DNA tests been done on this mummy?
Akhenaten
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember where I read about the body being Thutmose's, If I remember I'll be sure to tell you!
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the mummy was Smenkhkare but now I think it is Akhenaten.
Ramses
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ Ankhesenamun.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna go w/ Smenkhakre
Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the KV55 royal male is the "great criminal" Akhenaten. It is a fitting burial for a "great criminal" King and King's father/brother. As for the age, of the KV55 male being under what is considered to be the age of Akhenaten when he died. It is a known fact that x-rays are not fully reliable in indicating the age of a mummy. Historically, x-ray's underestimate the age of mummies. So, the KV55 mummy could be older than the x-rays say he is.

I use to think that the young male found in KV35 was Smenkhare but upon closer examination of the few and poor pictures of it. I noticed that he still, has the scalp lock of a youth and his arms are not folded. Smenkhare's arms would have been, due to the fact that he was Pharaoh when he died.

There just isn't enough work done on this young man who lies between the two women. To venture even an educated guess, really.

KMT magazine had a long article on both of the women but mention hardly nothing on the boy.

18th Dynasty Egyptians just didn't advertise their sons. For all that is known, he might have been the son of an high offical like Ay, who was honored with a royal burial.
Tadukhipa
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I also think the KV35 boy is Thutmose. I also think the Elder Lady is Tiye and the "Nefertiti" one is Meritaten, (I'm not ditching that!)

While I disagree with the Nefertiti theory, one good thing is all that publicity got those mummies out into the open.

Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tadukhipa wrote:
Yeah, I also think the KV35 boy is Thutmose. I also think the Elder Lady is Tiye and the "Nefertiti" one is Meritaten, (I'm not ditching that!)

While I disagree with the Nefertiti theory, one good thing is all that publicity got those mummies out into the open.

Hi Tadukhipa, You might be interested in Dr. Susan E. James article "Who is Mummy Elder Lady?" In KMT A Modern Journal of Ancient Egypt Volume 12, Number 2 Summer 2001. In this article she writes why the Elder
Lady that is Queen Nefertiti, not the Younger Lady.
I believe that she gives a very compelling case that the Elder Lady is Nefertiti. If you can't find this article in a library you might be able to order it from KMT's website i recommend it very highly.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Tomb 55 mummy Reply with quote

I have a long and very interesting report of an autopsy preformed on the mummy--it's only a skeleton, by the way--by Joyce Filer, who is withthe British Museum. As I say, it's long and very detailed. I would print it here, but I can't make my scanner work right! Basically, she said that the mummy was that of a younger man, probably in his 20's when he died. There was no evidence of any type of malformation, either to the skull or the body of the skeleton. A scan of the skull looked very similar to one of Tut, hinting that they were related.
She felt that the skeletal remains were, in her words, "95% convincing to be that of Smenenkhara". She would leave it up to Egyptologists to verify the remaining 5%. Here is a link to a brief statement she made about the mummy:

http://www.archaeology.org/0203/abstracts/mummy.html
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink I now think the mummy is Smenkhakre. I think Akhenatens body would have been destroyed, becasue he was disliked by many people in Egypt.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Tomb 55 Reply with quote

You're probably right, Ankh. His original tomb in Aketaten shows every indication of being ransacked, probably shortly after his death and burial. Supposidly, Nefertiti was buried in the same tomb, and it, likewise, was almost completely destroyed.
Someone, most likely Tutankhamen, reburied most participants in the Amarna Period. The scanty burial in KV55 shows that, whomever was buried there, had little of his grave-good left.
Try this scenerio--Nefertiti was buried in the royal tomb. Ankhenaton died and was buried in his tomb. The tomb was broken into by those intent on "revenge" for Akenaton's hersey. The mummies of both A. and Nefertiti were destroyed, their life in the afterlife being cut short with the destruction of the bodies. Tut was told of the violation, but not of the extent, not that the 2 mummies had been destroyed. He ordered the reburials to be done, thinking to protect the 2 royal mummies. The reburial in KV55 took place--as fast as possible--with Smenenkhara's mummy and Tiy's shrine. What was left of A.'s burial--the magic bricks--was included. The tomb was sealed, and, at that point, those involved took a big sigh of relief!
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Tomb 55 Reply with quote

You're probably right, Ankh. His original tomb in Aketaten shows every indication of being ransacked, probably shortly after his death and burial. Supposidly, Nefertiti was buried in the same tomb, and it, likewise, was almost completely destroyed.
Someone, most likely Tutankhamen, reburied most participants in the Amarna Period. The scanty burial in KV55 shows that, whomever was buried there, had little of his grave-good left.
Try this scenerio--Nefertiti was buried in the royal tomb. Ankhenaton died and was buried in his tomb. The tomb was broken into by those intent on "revenge" for Akenaton's hersey. The mummies of both A. and Nefertiti were destroyed, their life in the afterlife being cut short with the destruction of the bodies. Tut was told of the violation, but not of the extent, not that the 2 mummies had been destroyed. He ordered the reburials to be done, thinking to protect the 2 royal mummies. The reburial in KV55 took place--as fast as possible--with Smenenkhara's mummy and Tiy's shrine. What was left of A.'s burial--the magic bricks--was included. The tomb was sealed, and, at that point, those involved took a big sigh of relief!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: