Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Imhotep??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but probably he didn't have a concubine called Ankhesenamun... I guess the names of Akhenaten's family members wasn't very popular at that time. Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

nessa
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: facts about Imhotep Reply with quote

Imhotep lived during the 3rd Dynasty in the Old Kingdom. Imhotep is credited as being the world's first genius. He was a physician, poet, architect, sage, astrologer, etc. He wrote a medical text that included 90 anatomical terms and over 10 injuries. He also started a medical school. He treated over 100 illnesses including tubercolosis and arthrites. He did all of this 2,200 years before Hippocrates, the Western Father of Medicine. 2,000 years after Imhotep's death, he was deified the god of learning and medicine. Just some facts for ya.
nefertikaure
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it the 18th dynasty
Tadukhipa
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as someone had said earlier... Any version of the name Ankhesenamun couldn't have been too popular at the time. People didn't like her dad much.

http://strictlybecca.blogspot.com
Ramses
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her father probably named her Ankhesenaten.

200th post! I'm a prince!
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was Ankhesenpaaten, but in same cases was spelled as Ankhesenaten. Still I think the name Ankhesenamen wasn't really popular, not only because it reminded of the Amarna period, but also because it was an unusual name, as far as I remember Queen Ankhesenamen was the only one who had this name. Probably Ankhesenpaaten was just a name that come up in Akhenaten's mind (with many other things) and was later simply forgotten along with its Amunized version and everything.
Tadukhipa
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, what's the name of the main dude in the Mummy. (Not the actor, but the actual character. And not Imhotep... I'm talking about the "modern day" dude).

http://strictlybecca.blogspot.com
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick O'Connell, if my memory doesn't fail me.
I like Brendan Fraser, he's a cutie Smile
Ramses
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough, I look like Brendan Fraser. I mean, I have the same haircut
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they got tonnes wrong in the film, I actually sat there noting all the mistakes in a notebook:-) Sad or what?Smile Despite that though, i absolutely loved all three of the films, especially the most delicious priest in history,(Arnold Vosloo rules!!!!!).
The was they pronounced 'Ankhesenamen' stuck in my throat too. Another thing that really irritated me was the way she was described as 'soon to be pharaoh's wife'. We know the way that marriages worked in ancient egypt, no ceremony they just set up home together. She would not have been concubine one minute and wife the next. I usde the word concubine as the word 'mistress', that they use, is just wrong, wrong, wrong!

One thing I do find intriguing in the otherwise, full or historical errors, storyline is the name of his daughter in 'the Mummy Returns'. She's called Nefertari!Smile Even given that the real Nefertari never gave herself the title of 'King's Daughter', I think they could have picked a name that wouldn't have had people speculating so much, given that we know a 'Nefertari' married Seti's son Ramses.
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the historical errors were annoying, especially the 5 canopic jars... I don't know why did they use 5, did the director think it looks better than just 4?

BTW Nefertari did have a daughter called Nefertari, and the daughter could have had the title King's Daughter... but I doubt the makers of the movie knew that, they've just picked names and I think we can be grateful that at least they've picked real Egyptian names, unlike Wilbur Smith, Paul Doherty and a bunch of other authors who write fantasy and try to sell it as historical. Smile
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amunmose, do you really look like Brendan Fraser? Wow! Too bad that you're too young Smile

BTW I'm working my ass off these days and can't be online too much but it doesn't mean I'll let you beat me on the top ten posters list for a long time. Smile
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Nefertari did have a daughter called Nefertari II. She appears on the facade of the Abu Simbel temple by the feet of her father. But her father was obviously Ramses II. In the 'Mummy Returns' the King was called Seti???? This is why I thought it interesting that they chose the name 'Nefertari'.
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows, maybe this was a common name then. It was used already in the early 18th dynasty (Ahmose-Nefertari). Of course it doesn't mean the Mummy movies are historically accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: facts about Imhotep Reply with quote

nessa wrote:
Imhotep lived during the 3rd Dynasty in the Old Kingdom. Imhotep is credited as being the world's first genius. He was a physician, poet, architect, sage, astrologer, etc. He wrote a medical text that included 90 anatomical terms and over 10 injuries. He also started a medical school. He treated over 100 illnesses including tubercolosis and arthrites. He did all of this 2,200 years before Hippocrates, the Western Father of Medicine. 2,000 years after Imhotep's death, he was deified the god of learning and medicine. Just some facts for ya.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: