Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cats in war

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Ancient Egypt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostris
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Cats in war Reply with quote

Well, I searched for it but I didn't find anything, so now I ask you: my teacher (who knows that I'm interested in ancient Egyptian things) told me that the Egyptian people tied a cat to their shield in wars. Is it true? And if yes, did they do it because of their thoughts about the cat being a saint animal?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Lostris
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I typed something wrong but I can't correct it because the edit button exacts, so: ...my teacher TOLD ME that the Egyptian... I forgot that 'told me'. Sorry again.
chiaraal
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that some king had a personal lion (like Ramses II) and they took them in battle...
But...cats! Dont' know.

A.Z.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but this smacks of being one of the "facts" that go around from time to time.
Think about it--hundreds, perhaps thousands of Egyptian troops tie a cat to their shields? Why?
It sounds as if it's in the same league as the daughter of Khufu building a tomb for herself using a stone from each man with whom she "slept", or the wizard who turned a lake up-side down so a Pharaoh's concubine could retrieve a comb she had dropped overboard.
Pure fable...
Lostris
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least thank you for you too. It sounded really weird I didn't belive it, too, when I heard - so it's one of the theorys (the one with the 'daughter of Khufu' was funny!) which we shouldn't belive. No problem, anyway, and thank you again.
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It think this legend may arise from the fact that many African tribes used animal-skin shields, which to modern eyes may look like animals 'strapped' to shields.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Psusennes' theory.
Looking at the models of the egyptian army you see that the shields somewhat resemble animal hides.
Although it looks more like a cow hide.
Laughing Next theory is that they strapped cows to their shields? (just kidding)

http://www.dignubia.org/maps/timeline/bce-3200.htm
tnrees
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a cat amulet - this made me think - I have never heard of a cat amulet even though the Egyptian worship of cats is 1 of the 1st things that comes up when you study Egyptology.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Ancient Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: