Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching yourself Hieroglypics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anuksunamun
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Teaching yourself Hieroglypics Reply with quote

Does anyone know the easiest (and cheapest) way to teach yourself to read and write ancient Egyptian? I've already done a little research but I need more to go on. I don't know any real words or anything, I don't get how you get them either. I have the alphabet in hieroglypics and know how they sound but, nothing else really. Any help? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Unas
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest way is to look online. You won't get the best education, but there are some good tutorials out there!

However, if you're really serious about it, I would recommend How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs by Mark Collier and Bill Manley. I got my copy off of ebay for about $3.00 (including shipping!). It's very good at teaching you step by step how to read, write, and transliterate the ancient Egyptian language! I'm about half way through, and I've learned more than I could have ever hoped for. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lostris
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this webpage (it's in English! Click on the "hieroglifák" button)
http://djtankh.gallatakri.org
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join my free course that I'm writing! It's not fantastic, but it's free, you can ask questions and it is pretty detailed, delving right into the more complex points of grammar later on in the course.

Email: hieroscribes@yahoo.com for info, and give me your e-mail if you want to receive the first few lessons. Hopefully we'll have a website soon enough!
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psusennes, I hope you have a website for that, soon! ^_^ And I hope to join in your course, I would love to learn more on hieroglyphs as well, and I'm glad that you said it was free! Laughing And you're going as far as grammer? I really admire that. Very Happy I'm glad to see that there are people out there who can help others who want to learn the ancient form of Egyptian writing, and I hope to support this, as I know many others will too!! Good luck, and let me know when the site is up and ready! ^_^
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gladly delve into Grammar! What's the point in only learning a handful of words if you don't know how they fit together?
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, Here, Psus! I agree with you on that 110%!! Very Happy
Lostris
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That course sounds interesting! And it's good that's free! May I'll try it but only in summer because I have to prepare for my exams now... Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: