Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummy curse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akhnaton
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Mummy curse Reply with quote

For ages we've read about mummies possessing the power to cast spells and curses on whoever disturbs their tomb. But Howard Carter lived a full life after discovering Tut's tomb. Still, there are events that occur from time to time which go beyond the realm of conventional science and its explanations.
Does anyone here believe in mummy curses or were they just made up in ancient times to ward off tomb raiders?
Let me know Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although some curses can be found on ancient tombs, put there as protection by those buried, they were (more or less) just threats of what would happen to tomb robbers.
Shortly after the discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb, the out-of-proportion "Curse of the Pharaohs" circulated. Supposedly, a written curse was found (in some tellings, on a papyrus; in others, carved above the doorway).
[u]There was NO CURSE found anywhere within the tomb[/u]. A newspaper man later confessed to starting the curse story as an "added zest" to his articles. The stories reached ridiculous heights, to the point of the 93 year old father of one of the people who walked through the tomb died in London--a victim of the "curse".
For some reason, people seem to always believe in the possibility of something "supernatural" happening...
Meresankh
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Osiris II. I don't believe there are curses either. I think the reason some folks believe in these curses is because of their fear of the unknown.
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote

I've read some stories about how mummies have come to life the moment their tombs had been disturbed. far from Hollywood fiction, these things seem real, for the survivors have recounted the tales all too often.
Still, manufacturing a scary tale has to have some basis in reality. It's like Eric Daniken who says in his book "Chariots of the Gods" that there has to have been an ancient UFO landing which made primitive people refer to them as "Gods from the heavens".
Who knows what secrets Egypt is yet to throw up Smile
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to disagree, but I can honestly say I've NEVER heard or seen any documented proof of a mummy coming alive.
The very concept is, IMHO, utterly ridiculous!
The body has been gutted, the brain has been removed and then the body has been dried out, fully wrapped, and placed in at least one coffin.
Explain to me how that piece of dried-out flesh could "come to life"!
Akhnaton
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: By Osiris! Reply with quote

On the face of it Osiris II I have to agree with what you say... but perhaps there were some powerful ancient spells that could bring the dead back to life if disturbed (in some cases at least).
Okay, let's assume that the mummies had no way whatsoever to come alive and that the "curse" theory is just mumbo-jumbo. How about the possibility of curses that can kill - the handler or one who desecrates a tomb - in a car accident? What about that kind of a curse? Hmmm? Shocked
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egyptian curses may be esoteric, but they certainly formed a large and real part of the Egyptian funerary process. The tomb of the Elders of Meni at Giza, cut out in the 6th Dynasty is inscribed with a particularly famous curse. It reads:

"May the crocodile be against him in the water, and may the snake be against him on land, any man who would do harm against this [place]. Never have I trespassed against him - It is God who will judge him."
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: I see... Reply with quote

Thanks for the tidbit Psusennes I Smile
I guess the mysterious when coupled with the eerie always fascinates; as is the case here Smile
Nefertari1
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does and although I do not believe in the curses, there are a lot of strange things that are unexplained I guess.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd things do happed - the day the woman who recorwded the first speaking clock died the second ever speaking clock which was in a museum and kept running broke down. That fits facts better than these mummy curses.
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psusennes I wrote:
Egyptian curses may be esoteric, but they certainly formed a large and real part of the Egyptian funerary process. The tomb of the Elders of Meni at Giza, cut out in the 6th Dynasty is inscribed with a particularly famous curse. It reads:

"May the crocodile be against him in the water, and may the snake be against him on land, any man who would do harm against this [place]. Never have I trespassed against him - It is God who will judge him."

Personally, I like a lot discussing about carvings of curses over the tombs' doors. They are anthropologically interesting and can also give an idea of differences on languages, changing details of the religion throughout centuries...but please, leave curses like that of King Tut!...they are really ridicolous! Or would you consider to make offerings to the gods Sobek and Wadjet, or Uto, in case you'll have the chance to visit the tomb of Meni?

To tell the truth, when I entered tombs and temples, I felt the need to greet the owner or the gods to whom the temple was dedicated...but this is just my feeling...this is not science!
Akhnaton
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: serene Reply with quote

[quote="maatkara"]
Psusennes I wrote:
To tell the truth, when I entered tombs and temples, I felt the need to greet the owner or the gods to whom the temple was dedicated...but this is just my feeling...this is not science!

What a serene thought Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: