Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books on Hieroglyphics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goddess~Maat
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Books on Hieroglyphics Reply with quote

Hi all! I just wanted to see what everyones opinion on good books about hieroglyphics is. Like does anyone have any suggestions. I only have one book on the subject. Egyptian Language: Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics, by Sir E.A. Wallis Budge. I haven't even read most of it yet. Embarassed Laughing

P.S. Mine has a different cover than the one shown on the linked page.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collier and Manleys 'How to read Egyptian Hieroglyphs' to start, followed by Gardiner's 'Egyptian Grammar' when you've completed it. That's my advice. Good Luck!
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psus is right about <u>How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs</u>; in just the first couple chapters, I've gone over most everything I've known, and learned loads more. I'm not sure about <u>Egyptian Grammar</u>.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Budge's publications Sad
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a BIG topic for me, and I don't really want to discuss it in detail here, but Budge's books have their uses. You just have to be able to spot the flaws with them. They are useless for a beginner, and unless you have something to compare them to then they are a completely waste of money. The problem is that they're everywhere, have no copyright, and they are very cheap. Budge ignored many of the breakthroughs made by the German Schools of Egyptology in the early part of the last century and as a result most of his texts are hugely dated. His information books are worth steering well clear of, but his laborious copies of many inscriptions in tombs that are now beyond repair are invaluable nowerdays. His copies of the Papyrus of Ani for example, remain the best available commonly. I still prefer his translation of that particular text to that of Faulkner's (I am ready with a whole list of reasons for this- the main being that Faulkner's so-called translation is not actually one at all, but rather just a composite of what he wants to be there). Budge plagiarised heavily, and this means that many of his texts are actually written by others who had the same faults as him. Whilst the majority of his reference books are detestable, his incription copies and translations are, for the majority, very accurate (despite the largely baseless claims that they are completely wrong) and provide useful companions to other books. They just don't stand alone.

Honestly, Budge has his uses. Trust me. Smile

For example, just yesterday I used the appendix of his dictionary to get the cartouche of Si-Amun, and then I translated it. There weren't any problems there.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I cannot comment on his hieroglyphic books as I am no expert on them by any stretch but I will stick an oar in about his reference books. I do own quite a few of them (including an antique copy of "The Nile" from 1905) and although they are written very much of their time there are some gems in information in them. As long as the (absurdly crude) dating is ignored then the books can be quite interesting, Budge comments on sites that are rarely mentioned in the modern books and also gives a taste of Egypt before the hoardes of tourists descended upon it. We condemn him but in one hundred years our books will possibly appear very crude and inexact to future generations, but does that mean that everything they tell is unreliable and a waste of time? I dont think so. As long as he is read carefully with a bit of knowledge Budge can give marvellous pieces of information, his books are normally very interesting and quite readable with some great hieroglyph translation and transliteration, with the three side by side, something not all modern books do. I say giver Budge a chance, he was of his time but still useful to ours!
Ramsekh
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hieroglyphs for Everyone by Lenore & Joseph Scott is a good book for beginners. I think that's those are their names.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I'm studying hieroglyphs on Roccati's "Elementi di lingua egizia"; then I bought some time ago the Italian version of Collier and Manley's book. I will study on this book after having finished the book on which I'm studying now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glyphdoctor
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Here's a list of books Reply with quote

http://www.glyphdoctors.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=40
Hatshepsut76
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a lot of time that I can afford the study of Roccati's book, like I would, so I think probably I'll stop it now, and I begin to study on Collier & Manley's... According to me Roccati's book is for people who have already a good knowledge of hieroglyphs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Chube! Roccati is also not so easy to follow when somebody is studying it during his sparetime, that means after an all day of work!...When you are already tired it gets tough to read Roccati's book....you'll need to be awaken and fresh!...that happen to me as well!!! Laughing
sarah_g_uk
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, at the monent i am reading how to read egyptian hieroglyphs by mark collier and bill manley and its a really good but here is the link for it:
link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: