Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone here know how to read Hieroglyphics?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isis
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Does anyone here know how to read Hieroglyphics? Reply with quote

I've always wanted to read hieroglyphics! Can anyone here tell me what laguegues would be helpful to read these hieroglyphics?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being familiar with another ancient language such as Latin or Greek should help you to become familiar with the ways that Ancient languages differ from modern ones, but there aren't any languages which will help you to learn vocabulary in the same way that Latin helps with Romance Languages. Except perhaps Coptic.

My advice would be to have a look on the Internet first, and have a go at learning the core alphabet and trying out a few exercises. Then I would strongly advise that if you enjoy that you purchase a copy of "How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-By-Step Guide to Teach Yourself" (link). This is a great book for beginners, and instead of bogging you down in boring grammar it allows you to jump into some fun inscriptions and develop a few skills that will allow you to read cartouches, recognise certain inscriptions and so on.

Once you have completed that then I suggest that you try looking for a nearby club that teaches them, and purchase a copy of the only book that allows you to get to grips with the inner mechanics of the language- " Sir Alan Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar: Being an Introduction to the Study of Hieroglyphs" (link). Amke no mistake. This is a tough book, but once you have a good knowledge foundation then this book will allow you to read virtually any Egyptian inscription that you come across.

I started Egyptian when I was 12 (around 2 years ago). I have finished the first book, and am getting stuck into the second one, which is a complete nightmare- but a fun nightmare. I am less than a fifth of the way through it; it's really heavy stuff. Don't be detered though, if you work at it then the reward far outweighs the effort.

Good Luck Isis!
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you soo much! ill have a look at that right now
bel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: learning Reply with quote

This site is informative:
http://touregypt.net/historicalessays/hyrotutor/
Isis
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks soooooooooo much!!!!!!!! Smile
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with Psus....do you wanna laugh? I always take the Gardiner with me....every five minutes free I go on ....it's not so easy, but it will give you lots of satisfaction! Very Happy

...but it's true, before the Gardiner, start with an easy introduction to the grammar and the language, so that you already know something when you'll face "the Big Gardiner"......eheheheh Very Happy

There is a topic, opened by Psus, in which you can make questions when you don't understand something.....I'm sure that Psus himself will be glad to help you, in case of need.....me, I know he is there in case.... Wink

ciauuu
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a coincidence! I insist on lugging that big blue tome around with me too- and I do it on the bus, in registration, and anytime else when I can. It's great!
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, and he's here Laughing
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink ...hey, Psus...I do more: I have the nightmare to ruin it, so I make photocopies of it to bring around with me. This way it's easier to carry and I won't ruin or brake it into my bag....but I had three different bags for Christmas ( for colours ...) big enough to carry my Gardiner ....Normally I love books lived....but this book is really special to me....so I study onthe photocopies....eheheheh Wink

I know I'm a little strange..... Wink
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copy out all of the grammar notes as I go, so that it goes into my head. I have a neat little book that I carry around that has all of the notes I've made on all of the sub-sections. I also have a nice shiny-gold book that I use for making notes from library books and lectures. I have a right mind to post images of my raw notes from the next lecture, so that I don't have to type it all up again...but you might not be able to read my handwriting.

Nevertheless, it might be useful for me to post scanned grammar notes. It would be nice to see some examples of other peoples' hieroglyphic handwriting too.
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i wondering how big is the Gardiner book?
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M SO HAPPY 'COS WE JUST GET A NEW SCANNER!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This is what I was waiting for, as I told you some time ago.....as soon as I'll learn how to use it, I will send you some of my hand writings, so that we can confrontate! Wink

...but please, keep in mind that I'm not yet at your wonderful level!!!.....I'm working and I don't have so much time, but I'm willing to do that, if you like! Wink

Last edited by maatkara on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isis,
the Gardiner is quite big and thick and, most of all, needs respect! Wink .....this is my feeling with the book and with Sir Gardiner... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Isis
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scan..ooo i'll have to look for that stuff
bel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help?
http://showcase.netins.net/web/ankh/gardiner.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: