Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Papyrus Ipuwer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Homework Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green_Day_Rock!!
Servant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Papyrus Ipuwer Reply with quote

I don't know if i spelt it correctly but i need to know what the quotation 'He who places his brother in the ground is everywhere' means. I think it is from the Papyrus Ipunwer. If you can, Please Help
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Papyrus of Ipuwer, as you probably already know, has been seen by many as 'evidence' for the Exodus curses that God used through the Prophet Moses. In my opinion however, this is a leap to far, and it is quite obvious that the quotes refer to other events, and cannot be linked convincingly to the biblical accounts. Anyway- I shan't bother arguing that one, unless you disagree with me.

I have been scanning the web for a hieroglyphic version of the Admonitions, so that I can actually retranslate the line for you. It would seem (from the context) that the line refers to the idea of many sons dying and then being placed onto the ground. If the original Egpytian used the word 'm' then it could mean 'into' as well as 'on', thus indicating some sort of burial. The paragraph reads,

"Certainly, men are few, and he who places his brother on (into?) the ground is in all places. When the wise man speaks, he flees. (i.e. he flees in terror, not waiting to see what the reaction to his words will be)

Other lines support this idea of death and so on:

"pestilence is throughout the land, blood is everywhere, death is not lacking. . ."

"Indeed, many dead are buried in the river"

If you could help me to find the actual hieroglyphic (or transliterated) text then it would help a lot, as really it is quite hopeless trying to interpret other peoples translations, most of which were done when the text was discovered. Also, it'll be more fun that way! Smile
Servant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i looked around but can't seem to find any hieroglyphic versions anywhere. I will try rooting around in the school library but i don't really think it will be there Sad
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I'll keep looking. What is all of this for?
Servant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English belive it or not, my teacher want's us to find out the meaning of some quotations.
saphira605
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude i love the kitty its so cute and have u searched on the enter net yet i found alot of imformation and how do u like get the kitty or something else? Smile

oh and dude i need help of egypt report adn if ur a girl sorry just say something and im not on al the time so try to catch me when u can Very Happy Laughing

one other thing wat does tomb robber mean under my screen name Idea

oh never mide that wat does servent mean under my screen name Idea Idea Sad Sad Sad Shocked Shocked Shocked

just to tell u im easy to panic Surprised Shocked Twisted Evil Razz Crying or Very sad Embarassed Question Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

oh and if u need any help on the gods im ur girl i am an expert on them Idea Very Happy

Edit by Ramsekh
Ramsekh
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please use the button instead of making double and triple posts just to make your post count higher. Thanks!

Ramsekh
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: papyrus any one Reply with quote

hi its me agin i have a quick question and one can answer:
can anyone tell me anything about makup used in egypt and if therer are any kids i can make easly at home with a few suplies? Question Confused
Unas
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you mean the stuff they put around their eyes?

Maybe you can use a Rub-A-Dub marker...

Anyhoo, at http://www2.sptimes.com/Egypt/EgyptCredit.4.2.html, I found this ::
Quote:
Men, women and children of all ages and classes wore makeup. Mirrors of highly polished silver or copper were used to aid with the application of makeup. Eye paint was made from green malachite, and galena -- a gray lead ore. They were ground into a powder and mixed with oil to make eye color called Kohl. The Kohl was kept in jars and applied to the eyes with a small stick. The upper and lower eyelids were painted with the black cosmetic that extended in a line out to the sides of the face. It was believed the makeup had magical and even healing powers. Some even believed that wearing it would restore poor eyesight. It was also used to fight eye infections and reduce the glare of the sun.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
saphira605
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: to unas Reply with quote

thanks for the details and stuff Very Happy
oh and u might want to think of updating ur picture
and thanks for the artical on make-up Wink
Unas
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update my picture? Whatever for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
saphira605
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no affence it just lookes like to me like old and how do u get the post pics under ur screen name? Smile
Unas
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, it's an old photo, but the color scheme was edited with Paint Shop Pro. I've had this account for a few weeks now; hardly old. Confused

To add a picture (otherwise known as an avatar), click the link that says "Profile" at the top of any kingtutone.com/board page.
saphira605
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k sorry but i didnt now it was like not old and like my new avatar Smile
Unas
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Behamut, from Final Fantasy, right? A bit overplayed, and old, eh?

Why go at just me about an "old avatar", and not anyone else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Homework Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: